The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

OT - basketball and politics?

Oregon will be electing a new governor this November, and there is a primary election in a few weeks. The Portland newspaper, The Oregonian, came out with it's Democratic and Republican endorsements today for that office. As expected, the D endorsement went to former two-term governor John Kitzhaber. The R endorsement went to former NBA player and Portland Trailblazer Chris Dudley. C'mon - Dudley for governor? The guy couldn't even hit his free throws. What's next - Bonzi Wells for president?
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Beat Goes On ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
C'mon - Portland Trailblazer Chris Dudley for governor? The guy couldn't even hit his free throws.
Is this a joke? In order for a retired NBA player to successfully run for governor of Oregon, he would have had to graduated from a top notch school, like, let's say, Yale.

That's like saying that a professional wrestler, like say, umm, Jesse Ventura, could become a Minnesota governor. Or that a writer, and performer, for Saturday Night Live, like, let's say, Al Franken, could become a United States senator. Or that a pop rock singer, like Sonny Bono, could become a member of the United States House of Representatives. Or that someone who posed nude for the centerfold of Cosmopolitan magazine, like, umm, Scott Brown, could become a United States senator. All are impossible. Just exactly what have you been smoking, you tree hugging, tie dyed wearing, Oregonian hippie?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 11:55am.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Is this a joke? In order for a retired NBA player to successfully run for governor of Oregon, he would have had to graduated from a top notch school, like, let's say, Yale.

That's like saying that a professional wrestler, like say, umm, Jesse Ventura, could become a Minnesota governor. Or that a writer, and performer, for Saturday Night Live, like, let's say, Al Franken, could become a United States senator. Or that a pop rock singer, like Sonny Bono, could become a member of the United States House of Representatives. Or that someone who posed nude for the centerfold of Cosmopolitan magazine, like, umm, Scott Brown, could become a United States senator. All are impossible. Just exactly what have you been smoking, you tree hugging, tie dyed wearing, Oregonian hippie?
Or an Austrian born, body builder turned Hollywood action movie star becoming governor of California. .....that's my favorite example.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Just exactly what have you been smoking, you tree hugging, tie dyed wearing, Oregonian hippie?
I resent that. I do not wear anything tie dyed!

BTW - Tim Donaghy is already posting the spread.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Are You Crazy ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptflea2 View Post
Or an Austrian born, body builder turned Hollywood action movie star becoming governor of California.
Also impossible. What are you alligator loving, sun worshiping, manatee kissing, Floridians snorting these days?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 25, 2010 at 12:32pm.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

David Letterman-Like ???

Quote:
Coach - that wasn't three seconds even in dog years.
Mark Padgett: Haven't you used this signature before? C'mon. We expect new material from you, not reruns.

Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Exit ???

Quote:
C'mon - Portland Trailblazer Chris Dudley for governor? The guy couldn't even hit his free throws.
Yeah? Sure? The next “fairy tale” you’ll be telling me is that a retired Hall of Fame basketball player, who graduated from Princeton, won an Olympic gold medal, was an NCAA Player of the Year, earned a Rhodes scholarship, won two NBA championships, and served as Air Force Reserve airman, could become a three term United States senator. I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck, you know.

Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 01:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I tend to think this line of comedy is rather tiresome; as if there's something about being an athlete (or actor) that disqualifies these folks from being able to serve in politics. For as long as we've had organized sports, participants have been moving on to political successes of varying levels.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Powerful Than A Locomotive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I tend to think this line of comedy is rather tiresome; as if there's something about being an athlete (or actor) that disqualifies these folks from being able to serve in politics.
That's the whole point. This is America, where anyone can become a government leader. But you do have to admit, if about twenty-years ago, someone had told you that Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Sonny Bono, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, would become top government leaders, would you have believed them, or even listened to them without laughing? How much would you be willing to bet that all four would move on to such high government positions? What type of odds would you expect from such a bet?

And you have to admit. Bill Bradley's resume compares to Superman's resume. If he were a contestant on To Tell the Truth, or What's My Line, we would think that he made most of it up.

Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think having someone hold an office that does not have a law degree is a good thing.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That's the whole point. This is America, where anyone can become a government leader. But you do have to admit, if about twenty-years ago, someone had told you that Jesse Ventura, Al Franken, Sonny Bono, and Arnold Schwarzenegger, would become top government leaders, would you have believed them, or even listened to them without laughing? How much would you be willing to bet that all four would move on to such high government positions? What type of odds would you expect from such a bet?

And you have to admit. Bill Bradley's resume compares to Superman's resume. If he were a contestant on To Tell the Truth, or What's My Line, we would think that he made most of it up.
I'd still argue that none of those were top gov't leaders, but that's a matter of perspective. I'll agree that becoming governor, congressman, or senator is certainly a feat.

But if someone had made the same claim about Reagan in the 40s, or Gerald Ford in 1933, or Fred Grandy in 1982, or Jack Kemp and Jim Bunning in the 60's, they'd have been equally incredulous. My guess, however, is that very few who ascend such political heights would have had friends do anything but laugh had such predictions been made when they were in their 20s.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Worse than these are the "celebrity" movie star types that don't even graduate high school who come out with their political statements and politician bashing and people listen to them just because they might be able to read a script or look good.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 02:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle View Post
Worse than these are the "celebrity" movie star types that don't even graduate high school who come out with their political statements and politician bashing and people listen to them just because they might be able to read a script or look good.
I do admit I find them to be annoying. It's a fine line between using their fame for awareness and using their fame to project some sort of expertise. I don't think the problem lies with them so much as with the morons who keep asking their opinions.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 03:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking Like, That's Why I Come Here Sometimes....

Quote:
I don't think the problem lies with them so much as with the morons who keep asking their opinions.
Hey Snaqs, I need your opinion on something........Bwahahaha!
Old Sun Apr 25, 2010, 03:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Got You Babe ...

Quote:
I'll agree that becoming governor, congressman, or senator is certainly a feat.
Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Jack Kemp, and Jim Bunning are in one category. But Sonny Bono? C'mon? Who could have predicted that? Remember the movie "Men In Black"? Bono is one of several celebrities, most seen as "oddballs", viewed on a wall of monitors that kept an eye on extraterrestrials that lived among us. C'mon? Great musical performer? Yes. Definitely. A congressman? Who would have "thunk" it at the time?