The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 10:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Arrow How's this for a pre-game meeting?

Went to work three HS games for spring league today. Prior to my games, there was a meeting of all the refs with a coordinator from the league. He went over the rules which, at first, were the same as the past few years there, i.e.: 22 minute running halves, two 30s per half, extra two points plus shots and possession for unsportsmanlike technicals. However, he surprised the group when he got to the point of discussing uniforms. We were directed to allow virtually anything except something that would be a safety issue.

He told us to ignore non-compliant T-shirts, illegal numbers and other similar items. In fact, he said he knew some of the teams might not ever have numbers and we were just to ask players for their names when we called fouls. He also said he didn't even care if a team's jerseys all matched, as long as one team was wearing "generally dark and the other generally light" - and that's a direct quote. He said kids could wear wrist bands anywhere on their arm and also shooting sleeves.

He was certainly right about the jerseys. One team I had displayed about half of their shirts with numbers on the front only and half with numbers on the back only. Another team had three players with white T-shirts and no numbers. Another wore varying shades of green ranging from forest to lime. One kid didn't have a number but had the words "Robby Stopper" written with marker on the back of his T-shirt. Apparently, he knew some kid named Robby on the other team. In my first game, one of the teams started three kids with red jerseys, one with purple and one with black.

The good news was that we didn't care if we had to take extra time to identify who committed a foul, because we had a running clock.

BTW - one team had a kid who was 6'11" (the scorer was his dad and he told us how tall the kid was) and his team didn't run even one post play for him the entire game. He wound up with 8 points, almost all on offensive rebounds and his team lost by 15.

MS games tomorrow. I wonder what those kids will be wearing?
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Went to work three HS games for spring league today. Prior to my games, there was a meeting of all the refs with a coordinator from the league. He went over the rules which, at first, were the same as the past few years there, i.e.: 22 minute running halves, two 30s per half, extra two points plus shots and possession for unsportsmanlike technicals. However, he surprised the group when he got to the point of discussing uniforms. We were directed to allow virtually anything except something that would be a safety issue.

He told us to ignore non-compliant T-shirts, illegal numbers and other similar items. In fact, he said he knew some of the teams might not ever have numbers and we were just to ask players for their names when we called fouls. He also said he didn't even care if a team's jerseys all matched, as long as one team was wearing "generally dark and the other generally light" - and that's a direct quote. He said kids could wear wrist bands anywhere on their arm and also shooting sleeves.

He was certainly right about the jerseys. One team I had displayed about half of their shirts with numbers on the front only and half with numbers on the back only. Another team had three players with white T-shirts and no numbers. Another wore varying shades of green ranging from forest to lime. One kid didn't have a number but had the words "Robby Stopper" written with marker on the back of his T-shirt. Apparently, he knew some kid named Robby on the other team. In my first game, one of the teams started three kids with red jerseys, one with purple and one with black.

The good news was that we didn't care if we had to take extra time to identify who committed a foul, because we had a running clock.

BTW - one team had a kid who was 6'11" (the scorer was his dad and he told us how tall the kid was) and his team didn't run even one post play for him the entire game. He wound up with 8 points, almost all on offensive rebounds and his team lost by 15.

MS games tomorrow. I wonder what those kids will be wearing?
Hmmmm....I hope that means sweatbands and not those rubber-support whatever cause-bands popularized by Lance Armstrong a few years ago.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Apr 10, 2010 at 11:19pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 06:52am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Oh, thos pesky uniforms.....

This weekend, JUSTACOACH, two of his boys, and I were one of many officials who reffed in the 2010 THINK PINK Tournament of Champions Girls Tournament here in NVA. 132 Teams from all over the northeast. Some pretty good ball and some not so much.....

But, uniforms? Pink scrunchies, hair restraint devices, socks, headbands, wristbands, shoe laces, and even sneakers! One girl even had pink drawers on under her uniform - funny story!
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.

Last edited by grunewar; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 06:54am.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 06:55am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
"Just the facts, ma'am"

I normally don't officiate AAU games unless they're associated with a camp, however, our local IAABO board, as well as all the other local IAABO boards in the state of Connecticut, have recently started assigning AAU games (a major story in itself which will probably show up on a "fictional" Law and Order episode ripped from the headlines), so I thought I'd give it a shot; get a little running in, have some fun with some of my buddies, stay on top of my game in the off season, pick up some extra cash, etc.

I show up in the gym a few minutes before my partner. I'm observing the layup lines. One team has more than half its girls wearing orange undershirts under a white jersey. Both teams have girls wearing headbands of multiple colors, with only a few being white, black, beige, or the predominate color of the jersey. These are not typical recreation team "T-shirt" uniforms, but real uniforms that would make many high school varsity teams in these parts envious. I speak to assistant coaches from both teams pointing out the equipment problems. They both get together and decide to switch their reversible jerseys so that the team with the orange undershirts are now wearing orange jerseys. Our local board has instructed us to ignore the changing of uniforms near the bench area unless it's done in an unsporting manner, even for our high school varsity games, so that's not an issue for me.

At this point the head coach of the orange team walks up to me and says, "Why are you making eleven year olds obey equipment rules? Back home, I'm a high school varsity coach and I can see the purpose of the rules on that level, but these are eleven year olds. You're not being evaluated, or anything, so why bother?". I reply that this is my first game of the weekend, that I was was aware of a few timing, timeouts, and bonus free throw rule changes, but was not aware of any other changes from NFHS rules. I continued that if anyone from the AAU organization sponsoring the tournament advised me to ignore some uniform, or equipment, rules, I would be pleased to oblige.

Not a good way to start the game. I'm pissed at him. He's pissed at me. And we haven't even tossed the ball yet.

I would have loved to have taken a sarcastic tone with him but I took the high road and just walked away from the situation. I could have asked him for a list of all the NFHS rules that he would like me to ignore during his game? I could have asked him why, since he was a high school varsity coach and knew the rules, didn't he tell his players to pack a white undershirt and and orange undershirt for all games, and explain how to wear them? Why didn't he tell all his players to decide on a "legal" color headband, and all wear the same color headband for the entire AAU "season"? I could have told him that I always put in my best effort, even when I'm not being evaluated (which is true).

I hate being the "Fashion Police". Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 11:34am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 06:58am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
And You Know This, How ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One girl even had pink drawers on under her uniform.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 07:02am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
Moving Down In The World ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
JUSTACOACH, two of his boys.
JUSTACOACH's family dog plans to take the test in the fall. After that, JUSTACOACH will be the fourth best official in his house.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 07:04am.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 08:13am
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Make that five.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JUSTACOACH's family dog plans to take the test in the fall. After that, JUSTACOACH will be the fourth best official in his house.
JUSTACOACH is already #4 - his oldest son was away at school and didn't do games this weekend....
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Went to work three HS games for spring league today. Prior to my games, there was a meeting of all the refs with a coordinator from the league.
What league? What assignor? e-mail me.
__________________
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 11:29am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
Were You Ever Interviewed By Chris Hansen Of Dateline NBC ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
One girl even had pink drawers on under her uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And You Know This, How ???
grunewar: Hey? You never answered my question. Are you on some kind of list? Parents with inquiring minds want to know. Also, if you're working a game, and Chris Hansen of Dateline NBC walks out of the locker room with a camera crew, don't leave the gym, for any reason. The cops are always waiting outside. Always. Every single time. And why do they wait for you to leave? Is there some kind of medieval sanctuary law at work here. Is Quasimodo the legal adviser to the show?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 11, 2010 at 12:10pm.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 11:52am
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
One question I forgot to ask yesterday has to do with timeouts. As I stated in the OP, each team gets two 30s per half and they don't carry over. We all know that if a team is out of timeouts and then requests one during a time in which it may be granted, it's a technical. What if they've used their two in the first half and then request one still in the first half? Should we call a technical?

I know it's kind of a petty question, but what do you guys think? I'll get a definitive answer from the program later today when I go to my games.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
Black And White ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What if they've used their two in the first half and then request one still in the first half? Should we call a technical?
NFHS 10-1-7: Team Technical: A team shall not: Request an excess time-out. PENALTY: Penalized when discovered. Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

It sounds like the league directors changed NFHS 5-12-1 (timeouts), not the rule on technical foul penalties. Just my opinion.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Here's another one I should ask on pretty much the same subject. Is a technical for requesting an excessive timeout considered an administrative or an unsportsmanlike technical? It matters in this league because there's an "extra" penalty if it's unsportsmanlike - the other team gets two shots, possession and two points.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 03:09pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
grunewar: Hey? You never answered my question. Are you on some kind of list? Parents with inquiring minds want to know. A
Will send you a PM.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 04:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,793
My Guess ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here's another one I should ask on pretty much the same subject. Is a technical for requesting an excessive timeout considered an administrative or an unsportsmanlike technical? It matters in this league because there's an "extra" penalty if it's unsportsmanlike - the other team gets two shots, possession and two points.
NFHS 10-1-8: Team Technicals: A team shall not: Commit an unsporting foul.

Could that mean that all the other articles under 10-1 (Team Technicals) are not unsporting acts, but are something else, like administrative infractions?
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

I was in prison and you came to visit me. (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 11, 2010, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Here's another one I should ask on pretty much the same subject. Is a technical for requesting an excessive timeout considered an administrative or an unsportsmanlike technical? It matters in this league because there's an "extra" penalty if it's unsportsmanlike - the other team gets two shots, possession and two points.
The chart on page 71 of the NFHS rules book lists "excess time-out" in the "Administrative" box.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre Game meeting beachbum Basketball 15 Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:49pm
Pre Game Meeting U52 Football 5 Tue Sep 11, 2007 08:46pm
Pre-Game Meeting blindofficial Basketball 12 Mon Jan 22, 2007 04:49pm
Pre game Meeting Robert G Baseball 5 Sun May 06, 2001 08:35pm
Pre-Game Meeting Just Curious Basketball 14 Mon Jan 31, 2000 11:33pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1