The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 11:02pm
We don't rent pigs

As for all the antics routinely pulled by Coach K and countless other, I say it's like all the ignored traveling, the powers that be must want it that way, because it definitely could be reduced.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The problem is, like hs ball in some areas, coaches have too much say in regular season assignments; particularly coaches of Krewshewooskie's "stature."
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like a North Carolina fan is rather bitter that their rival is in the final four...and the heels are in the NIT.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 07:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio View Post
Sounds to me like a North Carolina fan is rather bitter that their rival is in the final four...and the heels are in the NIT.
Sounds to me like you're just another Dook apologist.

Nobody is saying that he isn't a good coach, maybe even a great one. In college, recruiting can have a much greater impact on the ol' win/loss record than sheer coaching acumen(prime example being Calipari). And Dook does attract the top-level recruits. But a whole bunch of people (hundreds of millions according to the latest poll) are saying that K's about as far as you can get from being the paragon of sportsmanship that his adoring fans try to portray him as being. When it comes to trying to influence officials...and we're officials....the man is just another whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoid....and he's also worse than most(98.72% according to the latest poll) of the whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoids in his vocation.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Thu Apr 01, 2010 at 01:41pm.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
....the man is just another whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoid....and he's also worse that most(98.72% according to the latest poll) of the whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoids in his vocation.
Last year, I met my neice's new father in law, a former D1 official from North Carolina. These were, almost word for word, his discription of Coach K.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 11:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This just in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
When it comes to trying to influence officials...and we're officials....the man is just another whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoid....and he's also worse that most(98.73% according to the latest poll) of the whiny, complaining, crybaby hemmorhoids in his vocation.
Jurassic,

I found my poll right under my Census Form in a pile of mail on my counter this morning and sent it in. So, I expect this number to jump .01%.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

To name drop, one of the times I was in Coach K's presence he had a great line. During a mixer he was relating a story about a mother of a player he was recruiting. She had heard that he was a good catholic boy and wanted to make sure that it was an accurate description. When he said he attended mass and all the other things good Catholics do, she was so excited that she said I can't wait to see him in heaven. He then went on to tell her he would be easy to recognize b/c he would be the person with no left hand. When she asked why he said because it is the hand he used to cover his mouth when he mumbles all of those words that good Catholics don't use!! It was more funny with his visual, but unfortunately, and this was on CLEAR display against Maryland, he has forgotten to cover his mouth when uttering those words good Catholics don't say. Hey, maybe I SHOULD write something on his web page!!
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 02:36pm
Esteemed Participant

I do not - and never have - appreciated Coach K's sideline antics and attitude during the game. But the guy has proven that he can coach - and he wins by recruiting players that fit his program and his school. The thing that amazes me the most is that he has been at the same school for over 30 years! In this day and age, that is almost enough to make my jaw drop.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I think it says something about the respect that is afforded officials and officiating that someone who treats them as badly as he does (or Knight, or whoever) is still considered to be this shining example of sportsmanship and a roll model. It's not like there is now, or ever has been, and real negative repercussions off the court for coaches who act in this manner. If anything, they are praised for their "passion" or for "sticking up for their kids".

Hell, plenty of fans would argue that he is a great example not in spite of his antics, but that his antics are perfectly reasonable given how officials ought to be treated, seeing as they screw everything up so often...
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 05:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
You could open for him. Padgett and Piper....................yeah!
Actually, there are a lot of kids in hospitals around here who love to be visited by Roddy and he always makes time to see these kids. He's actually a nice guy, although he works on not being one "professionally".

As to me performing at a comedy club, my stand-up routine is geared more to the middle school crowd - just ask my grandkids.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 06:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
They Said It

From the 5 April Sports Illustrated Section as above:

Duke men's basketball Coach K and lifelong Cubs fan on establishing standards for the Blue Devils:

"Just judge people for who they are right now. We're not the Yankees. We're not, thank goodness, the Cubs."

Now, doesn't that make it all better?
Old Thu Apr 01, 2010, 10:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

UNC phi beta kappa.

Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Updated: April 2, 2010, 9:59 PM ET
Coach K not amused by illustration

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Star newspaper has apologized to Duke University after some of Friday's editions included an illustration of coach Mike Krzyzewski with horns and a target drawn on his head.
The illustration on the front of the sports section accompanied a story titled "Despising Duke" that detailed how some fans strongly dislike the Blue Devils' program.

Jim Lefko, the Star's senior editor/sports, said the paper pulled the illustration "when we realized it didn't meet our standards."
"It was an illustration that should have come together earlier than it did," Lefko said.
He estimated the drawing appeared in fewer than 30,000 copies of the edition distributed statewide. He said he apologized Friday morning to Duke officials, who said they hadn't yet seen the illustration.
But when Krzyzewski took the podium Friday afternoon, he had, and he was not amused.
"First thing I thought, 'That can't be," Krzyzewski said. "How could a newspaper do that? That's like somebody doodled. Actually, I thought I looked better. But it was kind of juvenile. Not kind of. Just juvenile. And my seven grandkids didn't enjoy looking at it. 'It's not Poppy.'
"It is what it is. It's very juvenile," he continued. "We have great kids who go to school, who graduate. If we're going to be despised or hated by anybody because we go to school and we want to win, you know what, that's your problem. Then you have a problem, because we're going to go to school and we're going to try to win. You don't like it? Keep drawing pictures. Just keep drawing pictures. Try to do them a little bit better than that, though."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 11:58am
certified Hot Mom tester

I dunno. To me, it looks just like him.
Old Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

What a martyr, taking this kind of abuse because he defends "going to school" and "trying to win". Poor guy.

Why do people hate schoolgoing win-trying people like poor Coach K?