The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Snaqs, if I remember right you are one of the fortunate military men to be called an Airmen correct?
"Airmen"?

What's worse? Being racist or sexist? Shouldn't that be "Airperson"?

What do they call wimmen airmen?

Sounds like we definitely need to have a poll on this one.

And anybody that thinks the above is serious because I didn't write it in freaking blue font needs to give their head a shake also.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
"Airmen"?

And anybody that thinks the above is serious because I didn't write it in freaking blue font needs to give their head a shake also.
Try using "frakking" blue font. It works much better than "freaking" blue font.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"Airmen"?

Crap, you're right JR! "Airman" is not only a specific rank (three ranks, actually) that applies to both genders, but is also a generic term referring to all who serve in the Air Force, such as soldier, marine, or sailor.

I don't think my congressman would care, but perhaps I could approach my US Senator who seems to be struggling for a lifeline in his re-election campaign.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Although I do have a few Airheads who work for me. How's that?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:22am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Crap, you're right JR! "Airman" is not only a specific rank (three ranks, actually) that applies to both genders, but is also a generic term referring to all who serve in the Air Force, such as soldier, marine, or sailor.

I don't think my congressman would care, but perhaps I could approach my US Senator who seems to be struggling for a lifeline in his re-election campaign.
Yep and I was using it to describe everyone in the Air Force. Hey, we have to have something wrong with us. I will accept that the term Airmen isn't politically correct since we are perfect in every other way (I say we because I get a check every month )
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

We all Jack Webb. Or are we?

The officials are independent contractors, who in most cases are employed for games by public schools and public school leagues, or by private schools, including colleges, that receive federal funds. The assignor is the agent for the schools in finding and hiring offficials, and sometimes in paying them, althrough with the school's funds. Thus the schools can be responsible for the actions of the agent.

It has been widely held that federal discrimination laws do not apply to independent contractors. However, section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1991 provides that that law covers "the enjoyment of all benefits, privileges, terms, and condition of the contractual relationship."

Consider certain facts:

First, virtually all schools take federal money, directly or indirectly, even if it's just for school lunches. As a result, they fall under the federal Civil Rights acts.

Second, some manner of grooming is ethnically oriented and some manner of grooming is age oriented. You don't see many white guys with cornrows' or dreadlocks. In some cultures, certain manners of grooming are considered normal, attractive or even expected.

Third, while being an independent contractor may shield the employer against specific equal employment opportunity laws, the independent contractor is entitled to be free from unlawful discrimination in enjoying the full benefit of the independent contractor relationship. Therefore, discrimination that is based on ethnicity, and for which there is no bone fide occupational reason, may be actionable.

When assignors threaten a loss of employment opportunity based on culturally-differentiated grooming styles, or perhaps even on age-differentiated grooming styles, they could expose themselves and the public schools (or publicly-aided private schools) for which they assign to litigation.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Our hopes and prayers will go with you on your mission to right this terrible travesty.

Maybe we can make up a special blue ribbon sticker for our back bumpers to bring awareness to everybody about this problem.

Wait a minute. It's always been "blue for boys" and "pink for girls", hasn't it. Well, that sh!t has to stop too. It's one color for everybody from now on!! Be sure to bring that up with Senator Quagmire also.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Our hopes and prayers will go with you on your mission to right this terrible travesty.

Maybe we can make up a special blue ribbon sticker for our back bumpers to bring awareness to everybody about this problem.

Wait a minute. It's always been "blue for boys" and "pink for girls", hasn't it. Well, that sh!t has to stop too. It's one color for everybody from now on!! Be sure to bring that up with Senator Quagmire also.
Don't hold your breath.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:34am
certified Hot Mom tester

I think we need to form a committee to discuss this subject. And don't forget to appoint a Madam Chairperson, whatever that means.

Sorry - I ran out of blue font.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Not that easy, Chief. I'm going to need some funds. If you're really supportive of the cause, you'll pony up.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
Don't hold your breath.
Fixed it for you.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:50am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post

Consider certain facts:

When assignors threaten a loss of employment opportunity based on culturally-differentiated grooming styles, or perhaps even on age-differentiated grooming styles, they could expose themselves and the public schools (or publicly-aided private schools) for which they assign to litigation.
Consider other facts.

A lot of assignors represent associations. And those associations make up their own rules, not the assignors. And those rules are made by it's members. They get to vote on and approve the rules and regulations that they're governed by. And assignors then have to follow the direction that they're given. That's the way that our association works.

Personally, I could care less if one of my guys/gals wore cornrows. As long as they're neat, clean and presentable, I'm a happy l'il feller. And if somebody ever complained about cornrows, I'd have to take that complaint to our members and let them decide how to proceed.

Assignors are employed by somebody. And assignors usually have to follow the direction of those "somebodys" as a condition of employment.

I also doubt that anyone assigning a college conference has the stroke to impose his own beliefs on his officiating crew. The conference will set the guidelines, usually in conjunction with NCAA norms. And if the conference says it's OK for their officials to wear cornrows, then the officials will be allowed to wear cornrows. It's no difference than officials with beards.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Fixed it for you.
That works too.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 11:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you're really supportive of the cause, you'll pony up.
I asked for a pony for Christmas once when I was a kid. But since we were poor, all I got was a chicken. Do you know how terrible it is to be laughed at by the neighborhood kids when they see you out in a wagon being pulled by a chicken? It didn't matter to me though; I still loved Reggie(my pet chicken).

Even today I'd go to my room and cry at the memory.....except there was a happy ending. Reggie was delicious.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2010, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think I shed a tear, but I'm not sure.