The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down School alleges discrimination by Philly refs

Articles from yesterday's and today's Philadelphia Daily News. I'm not from this area -- anyone from the Philly region have any light to shed on this?

Math, Civics and Sciences founder alleges 'discrimination' by referees | Philadelphia Daily News | 03/23/2010

Local coaches disagree with MC&S allegations | Philadelphia Daily News | 03/24/2010

My $.02 -- it must have been very strong discrimination if the school complaining lost by 30
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:23am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Put this into perspective. Her comments were based on hearsay. She wasn't even at the game. Oh yeah - her team lost by 30. Of course it was the fault of the officials. Does she really think that in an area like Philly, officials can keep getting assignments if they have shown a track record of prejudice?

Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Does she really think that in an area like Philly, officials can keep getting assignments if they have shown a track record of prejudice?
I thought that this is why certain assignors become so successful. They strike back office deals with various league commissioners and assign their minions accordingly to seal the deal. Of course, this all 'off the record'.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

My favorite quote...

"I am requesting an investigation by the PIAA District 12 Chairman and that you review the DVD, interview with players, parents and staff regarding this disrespect and treatment of our players and parents."

How about we interview the officials instead? According to the article, their report showed no signs of unfair or racist officiating.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Being close to that area the school is complaining about officiating outside of the Philly area and it was regarding a state quarterfinals game that they did lose to a very good team.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I love the last line of the article. But to be fair, UNI has one black player

-Josh
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

At least these players are learning the valuable lesson that if you don't succeed, play the race card and make excuses

-Josh
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 02:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I love the last line of the article. But to be fair, UNI has one black player

-Josh
Did the article say that the team MC&S lost to didn't have any Black players?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Did the article say that the team MC&S lost to didn't have any Black players?
So you're saying this article is suppose to bring out the fact that not only are the official's racist but they are unfairly being discriminatory to just one school's black population but not the other? Come on, we both know what's going on here

-Josh
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:12pm
In Time Out

I would like to see associations make rules that any player using the N word to teammates or opponents will get a T. Not the place for it.
And maybe some calls went against the team but if your team and players are acting like clowns and not respecting the game from the start then don't expect to get calls from the refs. Refs should try to be neutral but at any level bad mouthing them and not playing the game right will result in more calls going against the team.

Last edited by mutantducky; Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 03:19pm.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
I would like to see associations make rules that any player using the N word to teammates or opponents will get a T.
WHOA! Hold the boat here! You are telling me that you allow the N-word to be said in your contests? I don't care who they are or are not saying it to, "T". It's an inappropriate word, period

-Josh
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
So you're saying this article is suppose to bring out the fact that not only are the official's racist but they are unfairly being discriminatory to just one school's black population but not the other? Come on, we both know what's going on here

-Josh
The article made no mention of the actual racial make-up of RCC. It can be intelligently inferred that RCC is predominantly White, but to assume the team is 100% White could be an example you playing the "race card". If you go to the RCC website, the first picture you see is of an African-American student who will be representing the school at the Grand National Forensics/Speech tournament in Omaha. Maybe you can drive up there and ask him about the racial makeup of the basketball team.

I don't believe MC&S's assertion about discrimination. But why do people who use the phrase "race card" always assume a situation is made up of 100% of one group on one side and 100% of another group on the other?

Claims of discrimination (even unfounded ones) are not always purely black & white. (pun intended)

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 03:44pm.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 05:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Eventually, we will all get our heads screwed on straight and realize that thanks to the recent genome project and other scientific studies, there is no scientific support for what we now call "race" - only commonality of genetic tagging. It's a scientific fact that a white male has more in common genetically with a black male than he does with a white woman. If that's the case - and it is - how can their be a white "race" or a black "race"? The entire concept that people have inherited behavioral traits based on their skin color is hogwash.

People are just people. I look at people as individuals and I assume they are all good people until they prove me wrong. Period.

OK - I'll get down off my soapbox now. BTW - my best man at my wedding 31 years ago was a black male and we're still good friends. Also BTW - I know it's not politically correct (and I'm certainly not) but I don't hyphenate the word "American". Every citizen of this country is an American - end of story.

OK - I'll really get down off my soapbox now.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 05:16pm
In Time Out

no, and don't assume that. I've heard it though in other sports including very loudly at at college football games.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 06:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
Refs should try to be neutral but at any level bad mouthing them and not playing the game right will result in more calls going against the team.
Do you ref?