The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Here's the situation:

I was scheduled to a Div. II college double-header on Sunday. When the home team coach inquired as to who the umpires were, he stated that "No woman was going to work on his ballfields"! He also commented that if my partner brought me down to these games, that he would no longer receive contracts from this school. He then tried to recover by saying that if nothing else, wait and bring me in for a non-conference game. The opposing team coach witnessed this the day before, as well as others. We went anyway, and were highly complimented by the opposing team coaches and also one of the asst. coaches of the home team. The sad thing is this coach is also the A.D. for this school. For anyone wondering, I did not get into baseball umpiring to cross any gender lines or prove any point. I just love the game. I am getting tired of the discrimation that's out there. I was told that I could contact NASO about pursuing any legal aspects. Do I take a stand or just live with the fact that I'm going to run into this type of mentality?

Jackie
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Jackie: I assume that you have fulfilled all the requirements that your College Board expects of any umpire
(evaluation, testing, experience, etc.). You have been assigned games by your College Assignor because you are qualified to do the job. It's time for your Assignor (or Board President or someone of authority) to "go to bat for you," let ALL the coaches know that HE assigns umps, not them, and they better shut up, or put up. Unfortunately, like racism, most of these types of guys will never have a change of heart, but I hope you don't let that stop you. Like any prejudice, it hurts to be shunned, or not excepted, and you will face the extra grief and be scrutinized far more harshly than the men. On the other hand, women who umpire baseball go the extra mile to study rules, perfect mechanics, and become excellent, as they aim to reduce any reasons for criticism.

I know you don't want to persue a legal battle, and get your way just because the guys are "forced " to employ by a judge's mandate. You just want to work games. I am not a lawyer, but I think you have a clear cut case of discrimination. And if you HAVE to take that route, be sure to get a nice financial award along the way for your troubles. Good Luck.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jackie W.

Here's the situation:

I was scheduled to a Div. II college double-header on Sunday. When the home team coach inquired as to who the umpires were, he stated that "No woman was going to work on his ballfields"! He also commented that if my partner brought me down to these games, that he would no longer receive contracts from this school. He then tried to recover by saying that if nothing else, wait and bring me in for a non-conference game. The opposing team coach witnessed this the day before, as well as others. We went anyway, and were highly complimented by the opposing team coaches and also one of the asst. coaches of the home team. The sad thing is this coach is also the A.D. for this school. For anyone wondering, I did not get into baseball umpiring to cross any gender lines or prove any point. I just love the game. I am getting tired of the discrimation that's out there. I was told that I could contact NASO about pursuing any legal aspects. Do I take a stand or just live with the fact that I'm going to run into this type of mentality?

Jackie (nice name that's my daughter's name also), society has come a long way in trying to rid itself of prejudices and discrimination but unfortunately, it still exists.

You are just like us , umpiring a game not because you are ceratin religion, sex or color, but because you like the game and let's be honest it doesn't hurt making some extra money as well.

I agree with Marty in that your first recource of action should be with your assignor and see if he / she will go to bat for you . Unfortunately, there's this thing called which exists in Corporate America as well called the Good Ole Boy Network that's been around for years and will probably still be around after we are all gone.

As far as you taking a stand or just living with it, it is really up to you. As long as your Peers think you are good enough, you should get those type of assignments. However, if you proceed with legal action and win, it can only be a good thing for other women who might want to take up umpiring as well.

In general there is a lack of HS and college officials. There have been many reasons why, but perhaps even more than violence towards officials another main reason is "Umpire Association" not sticking up for one another and also discrimination and "the good ole boy" network.

From varsity HS right through college, the coaches do have a say in who officiates their games. However, that decision should be based on the qulaity of umpiring and not simply someone's relgion, sex or color.

Good luck to you and keep us informed

Pete Booth
Old Tue Apr 16, 2002, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

And I thought this was the TWENTY-FIRST Century.

Bob
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Thank you so much for your support. It came at a time when I needed a "pick me up" as they say. I have contacted NASO, and was referred to an attorney in NJ. I am waiting for his response as to how I should proceed. Something funny came up in the meantime. I'm going up to work at a college this weekend where the visiting team will be none other than my newest fans!(HA!HA!) That should really tick him off to see me at other schools. He can run but he can't hide! Sorry, but I was having an evil moment. Again, I do thank you all for the encouraging words and I will keep you all posted if you would like.

Jackie
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Don't stoop to their level...

Jackie:

Good luck in your fight -- I can't believe that the gender-bias continues in this field. It sounds like you earned your way up to college ball; you deserve to work at any school serviced by your assignor.

On the other hand, letting your frustration come throught in any perceivable manner against that team will hurt your position -- remain fair and above the bulls***, you'll have your day in court.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

if any coach/player says a discriminatory comment i say "bye bye" and i call the commissioner of the league right after the game
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Rich,

I am very careful about not letting my frustation come through in a perceivable manner against any team. I should have been more clear in what I meant, and that was the sweet justice that takes place when that coach goes to other schools that I am working and sees how the other coaches accept me. I do thank you for the warning though, so I can give myself a self-check. The biggest disadvantage I do have as a female is all those annoying hormones that play into my emotions at different times. I have found that to be a deficit. For instance, when I received the news about this coach's comments, I cried and shook uncontrollably, then eventually threw up. My stomach was very upset during the trip to the games the following morning. Thank goodness I was able to pull it all together by game time! I can't blame it all on hormones, some of that emotion comes from my intense desire to go somewhere in my umpiring career. At any rate, thanks for any advice, pep talk, etc. any one has for me.

Jackie
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, Jackie, 33 years ago I played in a semi-pro tournament that engendered two big stories in the local newspapers: (1) the tournament was going to use a 20-second clock to time the pitchers, and any time the clock ran down a ball would be called; MLB sent Monte Irvin and a couple of bigwigs to observe the clock in action with an eye to using it to speed up games in the majors, and (2) one of the umpires was a woman, Bernice Gara, who went on to umpire in the minors (I believe she died not long ago).

As for the clock experiment, though the pitchers ignored the clock, no ball was called for clock expiration in the entire tournament. As for the woman ump, I think some fans attended just to see if it was really true. She held up well under the pressure, though. In those days, teams as well as spectators really got on umps and opponents. "Hey, Baby, git the makeup out yer eyes and look at the play!" Guys on my own team said they wouldn't argue with her--for fear she'd start crying.

Years later, Bernice Gara told an interviewer that the taunts over the years really did hurt. But she hung with it and apparently had a pretty respectable career.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wasn't her name spelled Gera?

Bob
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Jackie, Go get him. To many of our institutions of higher learning cater to these gods of sport and then wonder why they get the way they are. Nor do they want to change them because "they bring in good money and prestige for our school".

My own kids have run into these gods during their college days and I was glad they had more insight into their future then the self centered coaches they dealt with. Were behind you all the way. Good luck

Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, her name was spelled Gera. Sorry. Mixed her last name up with that of a guy I played with. They should make a movie about her.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I have been contacted by a local television station that wants to investigate this situation. I've also emailed the conference commisioner. I don't know what happens next. Thanks again to all for the support. Great comeraderie(how is that spelled?)

Jackie
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

camaraderie

Easier to spell than Gera