The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   travel or not (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57607-travel-not.html)

KenL.nation Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:46pm

travel or not

I seen it in a ncaa tournament game, Packer made a comment about simultainious possesion as far as traveling is concerned . Which brings to mind,
that when A1 and B1 are fighting for possesion and before I blow for Jump Ball their feet are moving. I don't consider a traveling call, because there isn't possesion.

Adam Fri Mar 19, 2010 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL.nation (Post 669245)
I seen it in a ncaa tournament game, Packer made a comment about simultainious possesion as far as traveling is concerned . Which brings to mind,
that when A1 and B1 are fighting for possesion and before I blow for Jump Ball their feet are moving. I don't consider a traveling call, because there isn't possesion.

There is possession, but I'd go with a held ball. Alternatively, if A1 and A2 are fighting over the ball and even one of them travels, it's a violation.

26 Year Gap Fri Mar 19, 2010 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 669249)
There is possession, but I'd go with a held ball. Alternatively, if A1 and A2 are fighting over the ball and even one of them travels, it's a violation.

And further, if Packer said it, I'd go with the opposite position. If I wanted to be correct, that is.

KenL.nation Sat Mar 20, 2010 01:15pm

Now if A1 and B1 are holding the ball and it's too soon to call jump ball,where is the possession and who has it.
In the effort to secure possession, either A1 or B1 shuffle their respective feet. I don't consider this a travel, I have been allowing it on the premise that it's like a lose ball, and can't find anything in the rule book addressing this.

Adam Sat Mar 20, 2010 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL.nation (Post 669471)
Now if A1 and B1 are holding the ball and it's too soon to call jump ball,where is the possession and who has it.
In the effort to secure possession, either A1 or B1 shuffle their respective feet. I don't consider this a travel, I have been allowing it on the premise that it's like a lose ball, and can't find anything in the rule book addressing this.

How is it "too soon?" There's no time requirement; I would consider it a held ball if they can't get it loose without traveling or forcing the other player to travel.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 20, 2010 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL.nation (Post 669471)

NFHS rule 4-43-"Traveling(running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction while holding the ball.". That rule then goes on to define the allowable foot limits.

If you aren't holding the ball, by definition you can't travel.

Adam Sat Mar 20, 2010 02:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 669474)
NFHS rule 4-43-"Traveling(running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction while holding the ball.". That rule then goes on to define the allowable foot limits.

If you aren't holding the ball, by definition you can't travel.

His scenario has them holding the ball, so he has to make a choice between a travel and a held ball.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 20, 2010 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 669477)
His scenario has them holding the ball, so he has to make a choice between a travel and a held ball.

His scenario was ..quote-"in an effort to secure POSSESSION....-unquote.

If two opposing [players are both holding the ball, you can't have a travel by rule. That option is out.

You also can't have two players trying to secure possession if they both already have possession. And you can't have a held ball until/unless both players have dual possession of the ball.

And you know all that.

I'm just going by what the original poster writ, and I'm not sure that he understands what he's trying to ask. That's what I'm trying to ascertain.

Adam Sat Mar 20, 2010 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 669480)
His scenario was ..quote-"in an effort to secure POSSESSION....-unquote.

If two opposing [players are both holding the ball, you can't have a travel by rule. That option is out.

You also can't have two players trying to secure possession if they both already have possession. And you can't have a held ball until/unless both players have dual possession of the ball.

And you know all that.

I'm just going by what the original poster writ, and I'm not sure that he understands what he's trying to ask. That's what I'm trying to ascertain.

I'm not sure he understands either, but in his first sentence (the one you initially cut out), he says A1 and B1 are both holding the ball. Sure seems like dual possession to me.

By "trying to secure possession" I thought he meant "trying to rip it away from the opponent." I could be wrong, though.

BktBallRef Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 669483)
I'm not sure he understands either, but in his first sentence (the one you initially cut out), he says A1 and B1 are both holding the ball.

Ah....that's a held ball...whether he likes it or not. :)

Mark Padgett Tue Mar 23, 2010 08:36pm

Quote:

I seen it.....

I hope you're quoting Packer here. ;)

KenL.nation Wed Mar 24, 2010 09:25am

thanks for the input,
I was just trying to clarify a situation that happens a lot in games that I work.
Usally a lose ball, when opposing players grab the ball. I'll allow a split second for one of the players to gain posession, then I blow for held ball.
But in that instance can there be traveling.

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenL.nation (Post 670302)
thanks for the input,
I was just trying to clarify a situation that happens a lot in games that I work.
Usally a lose ball, when opposing players grab the ball. I'll allow a split second for one of the players to gain posession, then I blow for held ball.
But in that instance can there be traveling.

If one player gains player control(holding the ball), then that player can be called for traveling only if the traveling occurs before their opponent ties him up.

jbduke Wed Mar 24, 2010 03:45pm

Quote:

There's no way this happened.

Packer is no longer with CBS;)

KenL.nation Wed Mar 24, 2010 06:57pm

It wasn't Packer it was Rafferty
He called it simultaneous possession