The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I would love to watch a game you officiate.
I don't think NV point is that he is better than the officials on the floor (of course I could be wrong). The point is that the two players were involved in an altercation just the play before resulting a player on the floor. Someone on the crew at the very least should have been watching them come up the floor; it is called game awareness.

Granted, the T was officiating the ball coming up the court. The C and L should've have had an immediate whistle when the Tx Tech player went down to addressed what happened, even if they didn't see the foul; it was the Red Raider's ball. The Tx Tech player was on the floor for about 5 seconds before a whistle was blown to address him.

As a result, the play may have cost the Seton Hall coach his job for other reasons besides wins and losses.

Seton Hall fires hoops coach Bobby Gonzalez - College Basketball - Rivals.com
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:22pm
Esteemed Participant

There was no "altercation" on the previous trip down the floor...a body went down during rebounding action. That happens quite often. There was nothing there to make the officials go "Oh my God. What did we just miss"...the benefit of multiple replay camera angles has shown us what happened, but for the crew on the court, there was no huge "We have to watch this guy" moment. The SH player pulled a bullsh!t move and it was dealt with...
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
There was no "altercation" on the previous trip down the floor...a body went down during rebounding action. That happens quite often. There was nothing there to make the officials go "Oh my God. What did we just miss"...the benefit of multiple replay camera angles has shown us what happened, but for the crew on the court, there was no huge "We have to watch this guy" moment. The SH player pulled a bullsh!t move and it was dealt with...
What more does it take for a crew to go "oh my God. What did we just miss?" The player didn't just fall, he flew across the court. Call me paranoid but thats an "oh my God" action for me. Ok, so they missed that one, fine, it happens. ...but, they most certainly should have had an eagle eye on those two players during the ensuing play. Its no secret I'm not a fan of mens officials, but I do feel this crew called a great game. However, they dropped the ball on this one and thankfully he monitor saved them
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 04:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Apparently from the latest news stories out, there sureasheck was an altercation on the rebounding play. According to reports, Pope gave the TT player a nut-shot on that play too. Not quite as obvious though. He went 2 for 2 on low blows.

He should be that accurate shooting free throws.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 05:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

wow, this quote was quite enlightening from Bob Hurley,
Quote:
"I had an unusual relationship with Coach Gonzalez," longtime St. Anthony coach Bob Hurley said Wednesday. "There never really was a comfort zone.

"I had a comfort zone with Seton Hall, sending many players there in the past, but not recently. Whoever gets the job will personality-wise be different than Coach Gonzalez. I would consider sending our players there."
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
I don't think NV point is that he is better than the officials on the floor (of course I could be wrong). The point is that the two players were involved in an altercation just the play before resulting a player on the floor. Someone on the crew at the very least should have been watching them come up the floor; it is called game awareness.

Granted, the T was officiating the ball coming up the court. The C and L should've have had an immediate whistle when the Tx Tech player went down to addressed what happened, even if they didn't see the foul; it was the Red Raider's ball. The Tx Tech player was on the floor for about 5 seconds before a whistle was blown to address him.

As a result, the play may have cost the Seton Hall coach his job for other reasons besides wins and losses.

Seton Hall fires hoops coach Bobby Gonzalez - College Basketball - Rivals.com
I dont care what his point his - he is very quick to point out the mistakes of every type of call and I can be wrong but it comes off a bit desperate and insecure. Every angle offers a different story and in the game you only get one angle (whether you like it or not) and you don't have the liberty of replay over and over again. That's why I would love to watch one of his 0 mistake games, which I think is safe to assume he has because of his great knowledge of the rules and his ability to pick apart every other officials mistakes.

That's just my personal observations.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
The point is that the two players were involved in an altercation just the play before resulting a player on the floor. Someone on the crew at the very least should have been watching them come up the floor; it is called game awareness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
Ok, so they missed that one, fine, it happens. ...but, they most certainly should have had an eagle eye on those two players during the ensuing play. Its no secret I'm not a fan of mens officials, but I do feel this crew called a great game. However, they dropped the ball on this one and thankfully the monitor saved them
I agree with the two comments above.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
He should be that accurate shooting free throws.
It's all about how much you practice, JR. SH must have had some sort of "nut-shot" drill worked into their routine!
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMOzebra View Post
It's all about how much you practice, JR. SH must have had some sort of "nut-shot" drill worked into their routine!
I'd hate to be on their practice squad.