The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   More trouble for Herb Pope (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57570-more-trouble-herb-pope.html)

Nevadaref Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:28pm

More trouble for Herb Pope

After departing from New Mexico State under less than stellar circumstances, the Seton Hall transfer has just been ejected from tonight's NIT game against Texas Tech for delivering a low blow to an opponent.

Sadly the officials didn't see it during live action--didn't even have a common foul on the play. They had to go to the monitor for it. I guess the monitor is here to stay because people refuse to look off-ball.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:55pm

Just your average ol' off-ball left jab to the nuts. Obviously deliberate too. Dirty, dirty play.

And the Seton Hall coach, scumbag that he is, whined about it too.

BBall_Junkie Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:56pm

Just saw the replay and the trail had ball coverage. The C had all kinds of players in his area and would not have been looking where the play transpired. The lead would have been the only one and based on his angle I think he was straight-lined. Looking at where his head was I don't believe he was ball watching (no pun intended) and could not see the surreptitious punch to the groin.

You sound awful sanctimonious in your post to me. I am going to give the officials who are working the post season the benefit of the doubt on this one and not refer to them as ball watchers.

BBall_Junkie Tue Mar 16, 2010 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 668616)
Just your average ol' off-ball left jab to the nuts. Obviously deliberate too. Dirty, dirty play.

And the Seton Hall coach, scumbag that he is, whined about it too.

Agree 100% with this. And glad the monitor was there so that the officials could "fix the problem"

Fon_Win Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:27pm

here's a video of the video .. heh.

YouTube - Herb Pope punches Darko Cohadarevic in the groin

grunewar Tue Mar 16, 2010 09:32pm

Unbelievable....

But then again, I guess everything is believable in this day and age. Very sad.

TrojanHorse Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:24pm

Wow

My question is, what in the world is coach whining about. Maybe he is a boxing fan where that kind of stuff gets a warning the first time. Amazing..I am glad that kid is not at Alma Mater any more.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 17, 2010 02:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie (Post 668618)
Just saw the replay and the trail had ball coverage. The C had all kinds of players in his area and would not have been looking where the play transpired. The lead would have been the only one and based on his angle I think he was straight-lined. Looking at where his head was I don't believe he was ball watching (no pun intended) and could not see the surreptitious punch to the groin.

You sound awful sanctimonious in your post to me. I am going to give the officials who are working the post season the benefit of the doubt on this one and not refer to them as ball watchers.

Give the benefit all that you wish and even take a few jabs at me while your at it. It won't change the fact that three D1 guys working the post-season completely missed this play. The two players had just been tangled at the opposite end of the court resulting in one of them going to the floor. Any one with half a brain would have kept an eye on those two for the next couple of trips. They didn't. I find that less than stellar officiating. Feel free to disagree.

BBall_Junkie Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:03am

Thank you for giving me your permission to disagree [sarcasm].

Disagree

We all miss plays. And I think the lead may have been looking but could not see through the players. That is why they went to the monitor and then properly dumped the kid.

dahoopref Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 668652)
Give the benefit all that you wish and even take a few jabs at me while your at it. It won't change the fact that three D1 guys working the post-season completely missed this play. The two players had just been tangled at the opposite end of the court resulting in one of them going to the floor. Any one with half a brain would have kept an eye on those two for the next couple of trips. They didn't. I find that less than stellar officiating. Feel free to disagree.

Agree with this 100%. I'm kind of surprised the crew didn't go to the monitor after the first time the Texas Tech player went down.

rockyroad Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:32am

YouTube - Phillip Williams punches Dee Bost in the groin

I thought you guys were talking about this one from Jackson St./Miss St. last night...two instances of players punching opponents in the groin in the same night??? Wow. A little difference in the response from the coaches...

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 17, 2010 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 668677)
I thought you guys were talking about this one from Jackson St./Miss St. last night...two instances of players punching opponents in the groin in the same night??? Wow. A little difference in the response from the coaches...

"Wow" is right.

I wonder if Nevada thought that was "less than stellar officiating" also.

I don't care who you are or how good you are. Sometimes shots like those are hard to catch.

BBall_Junkie Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:05am

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee;668685]"Wow" is right.

I don't care who you are or how good you are. Sometimes shots like those are hard to catch.[/QUOTE]

This.

GoodwillRef Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:18am

Three top notch officials working the game...all will work mulitple games in the NCAA tourney.

Mike Eades

Roger Ayers

Ray Natili

Jurassic Referee Wed Mar 17, 2010 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodwillRef (Post 668696)
Three top notch officials working the game...all will work mulitple games in the NCAA tourney.

Agree. That was not an easy game to do. Seton Hall's idea of defense in the second half was to run 2 or 3 defenders at the dribbler and hope the contact wouldn't be called.

I don't care how good or bad the officials are. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t.