The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt?

A1 is dribbling in backcourt, moves with his feet to the front court but the ball is being dribbled in backcourt. So far, so good, three points still apply. A1 now makes a one handed pass to team mate in back court. This is HTBT kind of moment.

Sit A: ( How it happened ) Ball is batted/passed off of dribble. Ball never comes to rest in players hand. I am C at the division line, 10' from play. Partner is trail across the court, 70' from play. Partner whistles BC violation. Game is post season HS, tight game, 4th qtr, team down has possession. IMHO, the bat was part of the dribble. Partner thought the bat was a pass, therefore not part of the dribble. What would you do?

Sit B: Ball comes to rest in players hand and then he passes to team mate who is in back court. I agree this is a BC violation. Any comments?

This situation led to a fairly long discussion in the locker room.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Hmmm, very interesting scenario. I'll be interested in what some of Steamed Members have to say.

Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
A1 is dribbling in backcourt, moves with his feet to the front court but the ball is being dribbled in backcourt. So far, so good, three points still apply. A1 now makes a one handed pass to team mate in back court. This is HTBT kind of moment.

Sit A: ( How it happened ) Ball is batted/passed off of dribble. Ball never comes to rest in players hand. I am C at the division line, 10' from play. Partner is trail across the court, 70' from play. Partner whistles BC violation. Game is post season HS, tight game, 4th qtr, team down has possession. IMHO, the bat was part of the dribble. Partner thought the bat was a pass, therefore not part of the dribble. What would you do?

Sit B: Ball comes to rest in players hand and then he passes to team mate who is in back court. I agree this is a BC violation. Any comments?

Great one...........
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

SitA: You mentioned the ball never came to a rest in the players hand, so the ball was never POSSESSED in the front court. Cannot have a backcourt violation if no possession took place in the front court. I would think being C at division line, you have a clear view of perception of the ball never passing the midcourt, so not making the call would seem appropriate. You're partner should have never made that call from his position.

SitB: I agree with you.

Next question, where did you resume play with the throw in after BC violation? Where touched or division line?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:11am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvan View Post
SitA: You mentioned the ball never came to a rest in the players hand, so the ball was never POSSESSED in the front court. Cannot have a backcourt violation if no possession took place in the front court. I would think being C at division line, you have a clear view of perception of the ball never passing the midcourt, so not making the call would seem appropriate. You're partner should have never made that call from his position.

SitB: I agree with you.

Next question, where did you resume play with the throw in after BC violation? Where touched or division line?
Situation A...

Are you sure?

A2, in the backcourt, passes the ball to A1 in the front court. The ball touches in the front court and a spin on the ball it back to A2 in the backcourt. According to you, there would be no violation since there wasn't possession in the front court.

I disagree. (9-9-2)

In the OP, the ball had front court status when the bat/pass was made and the dribble ended. Team control, last to touch, first to touch... I think I've got a violation.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post

The "3 points" provision of the BC rule apply to the dribbler. So the only question here is: when did the dribble end?

Answer: 4-15-4.

If you rule that the dribble ended before the pass, BC violation because A1 is was in the FC. If not, then no violation because A1 was in the BC.

Sounds to me as if you got it right.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Situation A...

Are you sure?

A2, in the backcourt, passes the ball to A1 in the front court. The ball touches in the front court and a spin on the ball it back to A2 in the backcourt. According to you, there would be no violation since there wasn't possession in the front court.

I disagree. (9-9-2)

In the OP, the ball had front court status when the bat/pass was made and the dribble ended. Team control, last to touch, first to touch... I think I've got a violation.
Are you sure? Are you saying that if A1 has 2 feet in the backcourt and dribbling the ball in the frontcourt, that the ball has frontcourt status?

That's not how I read 4-4-1.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:25am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Are you sure? Are you saying that if A1 has 2 feet in the backcourt and dribbling the ball in the frontcourt, that the ball has frontcourt status?

That's not how I read 4-4-1.
No, sir. Three-points applies to the dribbler. I'm saying in the OP Situation A, in my opinion, the dribble ended when he batted/passed the ball.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

This may not make sense, but if it was a bounce pass, I would allow it since the player is pushing the ball back to the ground, just like a dribble. If it was a direct pass, I may call a violation since the hand would need to go under the ball somewhat to keep it in the air. The thinking is if he had his hand on the ball this way then continued the dribble, I could have a carrying violation, and his dribble has ended.

I agree though that I would have to be there.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation A...

Are you sure?

I disagree. (9-9-2)

I could be wrong here, but...when does 10 second backcourt count end? When the ball is possessed in the frontcourt, not when ball crosses the division line. Taking that into account, do you have a backcourt violation in SitA?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:03am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvan View Post
I could be wrong here, but...when does 10 second backcourt count end? When the ball is possessed in the frontcourt, not when ball crosses the division line. Taking that into account, do you have a backcourt violation in SitA?
Yes, I think I do have a violation in the OP Situation A. In my opinion, the ball would have came to "rest" when change in direction occurred.

My point was that you stated you couldn't have a backcourt violation because no one ever possessed the ball which isn't true.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I see a lot of passes that are, essentially, no different than a dribble; a "dribble pass," if you will. The key is whether or not you would allow A1 to resume his dribble if A2 doesn't see the pass coming. If A1 never "held" the ball, no violation. If he held it, even briefly, violation. Judgment call all the way.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathertime View Post
This may not make sense, but if it was a bounce pass, I would allow it since the player is pushing the ball back to the ground, just like a dribble. If it was a direct pass, I may call a violation since the hand would need to go under the ball somewhat to keep it in the air. The thinking is if he had his hand on the ball this way then continued the dribble, I could have a carrying violation, and his dribble has ended.

I agree though that I would have to be there.
A lot of players will bring the ball to rest then throw a bounce pass, that would be a violation in the OP.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A lot of players will bring the ball to rest then throw a bounce pass, that would be a violation in the OP.
In this case, I agree with you. That is why I offered the carrying situation to determine if the dribble has ended or not.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, I think I do have a violation in the OP Situation A. In my opinion, the ball would have came to "rest" when change in direction occurred.

My point was that you stated you couldn't have a backcourt violation because no one ever possessed the ball which isn't true.
If the ball comes to "rest", that means the player now has possession of the ball. (and both feet in the front court = violation when passed to player in backcourt)