The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating and job interviews...

I've been working high school games for about 15 years (consistantly qualifying for state and district playoffs) and am at the D-II college level (a handful of games per year).

Unfortunately, my real life job will soon be eliminated. As such, I'll be starting the process of looking for a new one.

I wanted to see how best to handle the subject of officiating during the job interview process. Reffing games is clearly something I want to continue doing, but not if it is going to risk my new job -- or the prospect of getting a new job.

Is it something I bring up on my own? Is it something that I mention if they ask about what my hobbies are (in that case, I would think it's fair game to bring it up)? Is there anyone out there who has been in this situation -- as either the interviewer or the interviewee?

Part of me wants to bring it up, perhaps as a conversation piece, perhaps as a bit of full disclosure.

Looking for advice.

Thanks... I look forward to hearing from anyone.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:05pm
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Our2,

I'm going through the same thing right now & changing careers.. definitely a scary/exciting time.

I mentioned my reffing ( I go year round with soccer and ball), and didn't get shot down during my initial interview. I'm got called in for the final interview on Friday, so I'm guessing it's something they are willing to work around.

My advice is to let prospective employers know ( is officiating mentioned on your resume?). Being an official shows an interviewer that you can make quick decisions, and do well in a challenging environment. These are skiils that employers can use.

Best of luck in your job search, it ain't easy..

Shav
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Kids,
I too am in this boat. I have also been in this boat before. I usually mention it LATE in the interview, depending on how it is going. I make it absolutely clear that while I love to officiate, it doesn't pay my mortgage, 401k or health insurance. If their is a conflict between the two I will ALWAYS go with my "9-5" job. I also make clear what the hours actually are. For instance, when/if asked how that would interfere with the job I reply "It really wouldn't. High School games don't start until 7:30 and any long college "road trips" are usually on the weekend as the assignor likes to keep people close to home during the week."
Be up front and honest about it, but also paint a picture. This approach helped in landing my last job years ago. The manager was a little leery at first but when I told him what time the games actually were he was relieved that I wouldn't be taking 1/2 days alot. THEN he was really excited to have me work for him so he could complain about all the bad calls on TV!!!!
Of course once you GET the job......
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

I did this too with my job interview I had for an internship last October/November. However, I have it in my resume as well. To me, it shows that you have some management skills. I also have in my resume that I officiate youth leagues as well, to show that I can tolerate kids and be good with them (the internship I got will involve a lot of kids).

I did get the internship though. Now my supervisor busts jokes on me every now and then because he hate basketball officials.

The job didn't really affect my officiating at all during the basketball season, so it all depends on what kind of hours you will or might have during the basketball season (or any other sports you do). I do have travel soccer coming up soon, but I will have to miss two weekends during the soccer season due to my internship. I'm not upset about it, since I'm putting this internship before the officiating because I really need it.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.

I do have the fact that I'm an official listed on my resume as well as the conferences in which I work. I've been on some interviews where the hiring manager notices it and asks about it. Most have found it interesting. Others merely gloss over it. Nobody, though, really has asked if it takes time away from my 9 to 5 job.

I posted this to see if others have found it helpful to mention officiating during the interview or let the hiring manager bring it up.

I like the fact that mentioning officiating can show quick decision making and adaptability to different situations ... perhaps I may use that angle. I also agree that if it is brought up, it should be late in the interview. I definitely wouldn't lead off with it.

Like I said in my original post ... I clearly want to keep officiating, but not at the risk of my real job. Like 99.999% of us out there, this is not something that pays the bills, it merely makes the checking account a little fatter from November to March. I have to get out of the habit of looking at a job description and dismissing it if I feel it wouldn't let me referee... that's defintely not the strategy to have.

I appreciate the feedback and hope others will continue to weigh in as well.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our2Kids View Post
Thanks guys.

I do have the fact that I'm an official listed on my resume as well as the conferences in which I work. I've been on some interviews where the hiring manager notices it and asks about it. Most have found it interesting. Others merely gloss over it. Nobody, though, really has asked if it takes time away from my 9 to 5 job.

I posted this to see if others have found it helpful to mention officiating during the interview or let the hiring manager bring it up.

I like the fact that mentioning officiating can show quick decision making and adaptability to different situations ... perhaps I may use that angle. I also agree that if it is brought up, it should be late in the interview. I definitely wouldn't lead off with it.

Like I said in my original post ... I clearly want to keep officiating, but not at the risk of my real job. Like 99.999% of us out there, this is not something that pays the bills, it merely makes the checking account a little fatter from November to March. I have to get out of the habit of looking at a job description and dismissing it if I feel it wouldn't let me referee... that's defintely not the strategy to have.

I appreciate the feedback and hope others will continue to weigh in as well.
Many people who say "not at the risk of my real job" are saying that without meaning that.

For many of us, officiating is an important part of who we are. I left a job 8 years ago because my boss told me at the hiring time that there'd be no problem whatsoever with me working an earlier schedule during baseball season (we had flex time, after all) -- back then games started at 4:30PM and occasionally I'd have to leave as early as 3PM.

This was all fine at the hiring time until the next spring rolled around and I found that it was all hot air. I'd have meetings scheduled at 4PM when I'd already blocked out those hours on my calendar. Eventually, my boss told me to choose my job or my officiating. I reminded her what she had said, and she didn't think I really meant that I'd actually leave work "just to umpire a baseball game."

If I had been told this up front, I would've never transplanted my family to Wisconsin -- I would've found a different job. As it was, I bit my tongue and had my resume out the next day. It took me the rest of that year to find a new job, but I did. In my current job, I occasionally have to travel and have to find replacements for some games, but when I'm home, I can officiate as my hours really are flexible.

In my current gig, I had a boss who was miserable for other reasons and I went through an interview process at a local company and was offered a job. I did not take it because they were really put off by the idea of me "working outside of work" and they started quoting company policies on outside employment and made me really feel like they thought they'd own me -- at work and outside of work. Had I been unemployed, I would've figured out how to make it work, but since I already had a paying job, I simply turned down the offer.

My advice is this: Don't put your family and your livelihood at risk -- if you need the work, you gotta do what you gotta do. But if your officiating is a big part of who you are, I would figure out a way to do both, if possible. That means you have to bring it up late in the interview process unless you desparately need the work. I wouldn't put it on the resume, though -- it could scare people away and you want to frame that part of the discussion in your own terms at your own time.

And you have to remember that this is a vocation for a very small number of people. Many of us make more in an hour in our day jobs than we do working a game. Paying the bills really has to come first when you have a family, mortgage, etc.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Mar 11, 2010 at 09:45am.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I interviewed awhile back and brought it up as I knew interviewer was a big sports fan. I say it's a plus, the more you can provide to a prospective employer as to what defines you the better IMHO. Being involved in associations, etc can also be a plus and perhaps one is on the board of their local association. It's definitely an ice breaker and allows you to amplify your people/management/leadership skills if it applies to job description.

That said, I'd have a tough time telling prospective employer that I need to be here or there to officiate. Personally, I'd have to work around that situation.

To most it's an avocation, but a big part of your life.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:03am
Archaic Power Monger

That is a really great post, Rich. I guess I'm fortunate in that my job hours are flexible as long as we are in the office during our "core hours" (8-3 normally). But as much as I love doing this, I need to pay the bills and officiating just won't do it.

Good luck in your job search!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:35am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I have it on my resume listed among other things such as civic positions held rather than hobbies or other interests. I am in this situation myself. It may mean telling my assignor[s] that 'early' games are off the table unless they are local. I would not leave it OFF a resume, because it does tell a reader that you have a skill set that could be important for a prospective employer. With the unemployment rates being what they are, it may not be a unique story.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:50am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
As someone who will be "moving on" shortly, I appreciate this post too.

Over the last five years I have been very, very fortunate to have the flexibility in my current job that others have spoken about here also. Hope I am as fortunate at my next job too...... I will probably mention it up front.

Luckily, or not, worst thing that happens to me though, is I pick up more Rec League Games (which occur later in the day) and I am unable to do some F/JV and MS Games I get - along with the V Games.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 10:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I have it on my resume listed among other things such as civic positions held rather than hobbies or other interests. I am in this situation myself. It may mean telling my assignor[s] that 'early' games are off the table unless they are local. I would not leave it OFF a resume, because it does tell a reader that you have a skill set that could be important for a prospective employer. With the unemployment rates being what they are, it may not be a unique story.
As someone who has hired people, it *is* a double-edged sword -- hiring managers don't want to hear about reasons why you won't want to be at work before they decide that they want you and can work around it. There's also the potential perception of the public towards sports officials, which shouldn't be an issue, but could be.

It's up to you whether you put it on a resume or not, but don't think that doing so shouldn't be a well-thought-out decision. Not everyone will think it's a great thing.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

My Thoughts

Our2Kids...I think you hit the nail on the head... officiating is a "hobby" or avocation and your regular job is your vocation. Your priority needs to be the vocational career that supports your family.

I changed jobs 2 years ago and the topic of officiating in my opinion is irrelevant and did not come up during the interview process. Most people do not understand what it is we do. I believe that as long as you turn in a solid performance and are able to wash the all the early releases and days off through personal/vacation time that is your choice.

Once you get the job, then by all means, be honest and even volunteer what you love to do. But, I would be wary about bringing it up during an interview... you never know what the perception might be with the hiring manager.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2010, 09:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you are being paid for it and you feel the skills can translate, then yes it should be on your resume. I have put in on my resume and I will continue to put it on my resume. As it has given me the ability to deal with decision making and do it on the fly in a cool and calm way. It just depends on the profession and maybe if the skills translated. In certain fields I could see it not being a major help as you might need an education background that will be important to do a particular job. But I have been in sales and it is usually the thing that is talked about and has gotten me jobs. I have also been in management in a couple of jobs and it also helped me get jobs. And since I have been on boards and made decisions as an executive on those boards, I think it is always good to highlight that you have been in some authority positions as well. Most of all this is a personal choice, but it is the longest "job" I have had and I want people to know that. It is also a business and many aspects of the job have other benefits. I also want people to know that I am in demand and how it took to build that business.

Then again that is me.

Peace