View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 10, 2010, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Kids,
I too am in this boat. I have also been in this boat before. I usually mention it LATE in the interview, depending on how it is going. I make it absolutely clear that while I love to officiate, it doesn't pay my mortgage, 401k or health insurance. If their is a conflict between the two I will ALWAYS go with my "9-5" job. I also make clear what the hours actually are. For instance, when/if asked how that would interfere with the job I reply "It really wouldn't. High School games don't start until 7:30 and any long college "road trips" are usually on the weekend as the assignor likes to keep people close to home during the week."
Be up front and honest about it, but also paint a picture. This approach helped in landing my last job years ago. The manager was a little leery at first but when I told him what time the games actually were he was relieved that I wouldn't be taking 1/2 days alot. THEN he was really excited to have me work for him so he could complain about all the bad calls on TV!!!!
Of course once you GET the job......