The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Pregame dunking - is it being well enforced?

I know it's illegal under NCAA and NFHS rules, and I have seen it called before. I noticed the case of St Mary's getting called for it last season against Gonzaga. Still - I've seen it go uncalled more often - and sometimes even when the officials are on the floor although the dunking typically isn't all that demonstrative. Some people are even posting video that they've taken of pregame dunks. I actually thought that maybe the rule on pregame dunks had changed, but I didn't see anything.

I remember once seeing a pregame ritual (right in front of the officials) before the CIF state championship in Sacramento where one team was alley-ooping it repeatedly and getting within inches of the rim by dropping it from just above the rim. A coach I know who saw it thought that it should have been called at least once for breaking the spirit of the rule.

I understand that there's not much that can be done if the players come out before the officials take to the floor and can witness the act.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 06:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

We have strict enforcement of this rule in our local kids rec league, especially at the 3rd and 4th grade level.

Hey - they shoot at 9 foot hoops.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on the act I might give a warning to one player once. sometimes you can get away with that.

Other than that to me its a pretty black and white case, very little grey area.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 06:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Players don't dunk pre-game around here, not after we take the court. Don't know about college (I didn't think it was a rule in college). I know sometimes players will come close, but I'm not calling it unless it's obvious.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 07:09pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post

I remember once seeing a pregame ritual (right in front of the officials) before the CIF state championship in Sacramento where one team was alley-ooping it repeatedly and getting within inches of the rim by dropping it from just above the rim. A coach I know who saw it thought that it should have been called at least once for breaking the spirit of the rule.
Another coach that doesn't know the rules.....

Dropping the ball in is NOT dunking as defined under both NCAA and NFHS rules. To be dunked by definition, the ball must be driven, forced or pushed through the basket. Simply dropping the ball down from above is legal and always has been legal. And that's also the spirit, or purpose and intent of the rule as written.

And no, it ain't offensive basket interference either for having a hand in contact with a ball in the cylinder. There's also a rules exception covering that action.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Another coach that doesn't know the rules.....

Dropping the ball in is NOT dunking as defined under both NCAA and NFHS rules. To be dunked by definition, the ball must be driven, forced or pushed through the basket. Simply dropping the ball down from above is legal and always has been legal. And that's also the spirit, or purpose and intent of the rule as written.

And no, it ain't offensive basket interference either for having a hand in contact with a ball in the cylinder. There's also a rules exception covering that action.
"Dropping" may not have been the best description. Some of the players were doing all the motions of a dunk and forcing the ball through. The one detail is that they were clearly avoiding hand contact with the rim during the motions.

Here's one (between the legs followed by a dunk), although it looks like it's well before the game has started and the refs are nowhere to be seen. It's not a huge dunk, but it's pretty clear it's being driven through the hoop and his hand contacts the rim.

YouTube - Syracuse Basketball Pre-Game 2010- SICK DUNK!!!

Here's a Michigan player putting on his own little pregame dunk exhibition and even pulling down the collapsible rim a few times:

YouTube - Brent Petway: Air Georgia

I'm just wondering if perhaps there really isn't a consequence to this as long as the officials haven't stepped onto the court. NCAA rules say that the officials' jurisdiction to call infractions starts 30 minutes before the start of the game.

I heard about some HS team that forfeited a playoff game because a player shattered a backboard while dunking during pregame warmups (I believe they weren't required to have a backup). I've also seen that the NCAA Tournament facilities manual requires at least one backup backboard, although there doesn't seem to be any such rule for regular NCAA play. If the kid in the 2nd clip somehow breaks a backboard even without the officials present, it seems a little strange if there aren't consequences for the action.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Here's one (between the legs followed by a dunk), although it looks like it's well before the game has started and the refs are nowhere to be seen. It's not a huge dunk, but it's pretty clear it's being driven through the hoop and his hand contacts the rim.

I'm just wondering if perhaps there really isn't a consequence to this as long as the officials haven't stepped onto the court.
Any consequences would be strictly up to the league. If it doesn't happen during the officials' jurisdiction, then it's got absolutely nothing at all to do with us. It is neither our worry nor our concern.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Dropping" may not have been the best description. Some of the players were doing all the motions of a dunk and forcing the ball through. The one detail is that they were clearly avoiding hand contact with the rim during the motions.

I'm just wondering if perhaps there really isn't a consequence to this as long as the officials haven't stepped onto the court. NCAA rules say that the officials' jurisdiction to call infractions starts 30 minutes before the start of the game.
First, I can guarantee that both those games at major D1 programs were more than 30 minutes before the game because of how empty the arenas were.

Second, as Snaqs said, if I'm not sure, then it's not a T. If they are avoiding hand contact, then it's not dunking and it's not being a T.

Where are you trying to go with this?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

There was quite a display prior to the large school State Championship game here. (Yes, the officials were on the floor.)
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 09:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Obviously ..

Quote:
Pregame dunking - is it being well enforced?
Not here:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
There was quite a display prior to the large school State Championship game here. (Yes, the officials were on the floor.)
And?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

And what? I was merely delivering facts. Are you looking for what action was taken?

The answer is absolutely nothing.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't there some (hotly debated) thread a while back where the Texas guys come to the floor and blow their whistle?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 06:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And what? I was merely delivering facts. Are you looking for what action was taken?

The answer is absolutely nothing.
And why not? Special rules in Nevada?
Old Sat Mar 06, 2010, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And why not? Special rules in Nevada?

Somebody's just waiting for the tournament crowd to show up.