The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Intentionally striking an official? .....flagrant T and send the report. Depending on the nature of contact and atttitude, here they could get hit with a gross unsportsmanlike conduct by the state association. Penalties are serious - major fines, suspension for extended periods of time, or even permanently being barred from coaching.....it would depend on the nature of the act, prior history of problems, etc.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

WHACK! Coach, will have a 6 second head start to the showers.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Totally unacceptable behavior. The @ss deserved a T.
Ka-hoe-nees
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Girls first round varsity tournament game. Coaches have been pretty excitable the whole game as it was close most of the game. Home team is in the process of blowing their 4th quarter lead and the "coach speak" is escalating. Home team is up one with 18 sec to to and the visiting team takes misses a three gets the rebound and eventually hits a tough three from the corner fading into the stands. Place goes nuts (lots of visiting fans).
I was the center with my back to the benches and the home coach must have been trying to call a time out which I could not hear. My parter "the lead" comes out as he could see him and gives him is timeout with 6 sec. on the game clock. He is down by 1 now and pissed of course. I am at the table double checking the fouls and time outs. As he heads back to his bench he wacks my arm out of the way in disgust as he goes by.
Guys, I just bit my tounge and glared at him. If I bang him there, obviously its two shot and the ball for the visiting team and no last second try for him, or in other words "BALL GAME". No tech called, they miss the last second try, we (MASS) do not stay for any handshakes.
As we are leaving the gym with the AD, he follows us down the stairs towards the locker room screaming "what a disgrace......" and this with some of his girls with him.
I know we give a little more leeway during "tournament" games and like to let the players decide the outcome etc., but what would you guys have done.
We have written him up to the MIAA and his AD.
Leeway???? Leeway to do what? Oh...it's tournament time...so it's OK to make physical contact with an official.
How can you let that happen, and then stand there and go through this process in your head of...'well if I bang him here, it's two shots and the ball for the visiting team and no last second shot for him and thats the ball game'??? So what would have happened if the home team scored to win or send the game into OT and the visiting coach goes nuts and makes contact with you or one of your partners? Oh, it's tournament time...we give them more leeway.
I'm sorry...bad job.
You/crew should have known that if V scored, H would very likely be looking for a T/O...and as lpneck posted...you were in C tableside...in that spot it's your job to be ready to grant a quick T/O.
On the coach "whacking your arm out of the way in in disgust"...that you did not T him up and eject him...gutless.
You let your crew and a lot of other officials in your area down.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I could have prevented myself from assessing the T once he struck me. But, this coach has played the entire schedule with this team, took them to the tournament, and didn't have the foresight to have a senior or captain on the floor prepared to request the time out in this situation?

Last edited by ref3808; Fri Feb 26, 2010 at 08:42am.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you should have T him with a Flagrant. Best thing about it is you most likely had video from the game to back you up. Around here, if you have a situation in the tourney, and you don't apply the correct foul, be it intentional foul, technical or what have you and you explain to the observer that you didn't want to make that call because you didn't want it to decide the outcome of the game, you can forget moving up and most likely you would be moving down.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am at the table double checking the fouls and time outs. As he heads back to his bench he wacks my arm out of the way in disgust as he goes by.
The coach was so far out of his box that he was able to "wack" (sic) your arm while you were talking to the table? How did that happen?
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Whack, get out!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 10:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The coach was so far out of his box that he was able to "wack" (sic) your arm while you were talking to the table? How did that happen?
And that's as he was heading "back" to the bench.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

WHACK! Buh-bye

Oh, and coach, in Ohio that's a $100 fine by the OHSAA, a two game suspension, and a mandatory on-line coaching ethics class before you can step back on the floor. Enjoy your vacation.

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 12:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I think you could even make a case that he assaulted you. Here in Oregon, assault on a sports official is a class A misdemeanor and will be prosecuted (all counties in the state prosecute class A misdemeanors), which could even result in jail time. Cool!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75 View Post
WHACK! Buh-bye
I believe the expression you're looking for is:

Whack! Get out!
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I agree 100% with the posters who have suggested that, based upon the facts as you related them, the proper thing to do was to whack him and launch him.

I disagree strongly with the one or two posters who have suggested that your failure to do so was "gutless". A million things run through your mind in that situation, and it's easy for those of us sitting in front of our computers to come up with the correct response. I understand that you would prefer not to "take the game away from the players". With experience, you will come to appreciate that it was the coach, and not the officials, who was guilty of doing so.

Sometimes we can overlook an emotional verbal reaction in a situation such as the one you presented. Physical contact is another animal entirely. You can never, ever allow a coach or player to lay hands on you in anger or disgust. Whack him, toss him, write him up, and move on to your next game.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 01:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Girls first round varsity tournament game. Coaches have been pretty excitable the whole game as it was close most of the game. Home team is in the process of blowing their 4th quarter lead and the "coach speak" is escalating. Home team is up one with 18 sec to to and the visiting team takes misses a three gets the rebound and eventually hits a tough three from the corner fading into the stands. Place goes nuts (lots of visiting fans).
I was the center with my back to the benches and the home coach must have been trying to call a time out which I could not hear. My parter "the lead" comes out as he could see him and gives him is timeout with 6 sec. on the game clock. He is down by 1 now and pissed of course. I am at the table double checking the fouls and time outs. As he heads back to his bench he wacks my arm out of the way in disgust as he goes by.

Guys, I just bit my tounge and glared at him. If I bang him there, obviously its two shot and the ball for the visiting team and no last second try for him, or in other words "BALL GAME". No tech called, they miss the last second try, we (MASS) do not stay for any handshakes.

As we are leaving the gym with the AD, he follows us down the stairs towards the locker room screaming "what a disgrace......" and this with some of his girls with him.

I know we give a little more leeway during "tournament" games and like to let the players decide the outcome etc., but what would you guys have done.
We have written him up to the MIAA and his AD.
Whack. Buh-bye. Game over.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 09:30am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
I disagree strongly with the one or two posters who have suggested that your failure to do so was "gutless". A million things run through your mind in that situation, and it's easy for those of us sitting in front of our computers to come up with the correct response. I understand that you would prefer not to "take the game away from the players". With experience, you will come to appreciate that it was the coach, and not the officials, who was guilty of doing so.

Sometimes we can overlook an emotional verbal reaction in a situation such as the one you presented. Physical contact is another animal entirely. You can never, ever allow a coach or player to lay hands on you in anger or disgust. Whack him, toss him, write him up, and move on to your next game.
If it was the first play of the first game or the last game of the playoffs, this coach should have been ejected. To call it gutless is just a way of putting it and obviously a way you don't like.