The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The coach was so far out of his box that he was able to "wack" (sic) your arm while you were talking to the table? How did that happen?
It was during a time out....

But I was wondering if had gone to the table to check with the book which is still a T, right?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
It was during a time out....
So what if it was during a TO?

The "bench area" only extends 28' from the end line. And, even if we give the coach some leeway (and we do and we should), there's no way he should be making contact with an official at the table. This is especially true if the official goes to the table after the TO has been reported.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
If it was the first play of the first game or the last game of the playoffs, this coach should have been ejected. To call it gutless is just a way of putting it and obviously a way you don't like.
As I said, I agree 100% that coach needed to go. I just don't like to say "gutless" in this type of situation, mainly because that is such a personal criticism. If an official knows that the right thing to do is toss the coach, and he fails to do so because he is afraid the coach will give him a poor rating and/or may not ask him back, then gutless is the appropriate characterization. I don't see that here. If the official knew how this play should have been called, I doubt that he would have opened himself up for being criticized by posting the play and asking us how it should have been handled. As I said, it may be obvious to us, as veterans, but for an official with less experience, it may not be so clear.