The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I may be wrong, and if I am I have a sneaking suspicion I will find out soon, but at least around here we are not allowed to call a game a forfeit. Officials note the time and verify the score in the book. All forfeits are up to the state league and the schools.
While not having been there I would think it would be pretty obvious that the player was intentionally face guarding an official. I would ask the player for an explaination, tell him it probably is not a good idea, and if he did it again, the player would get a "T". At that point the coach would have a VERY short leash. I can see the coach telling me that HE told the player to guard me, whichwould then be a very nice opportunity to "T" the coach as well.
That coach just accused you of cheating. If a player is face guarding you, you can guarantee the coach told him to do it; guaranteed, no need to ask. Personally, I'm going flagrant on this. If you want to issue a standard T, fine. But there is no leash any longer, he's either sitting quietly the rest of the game or he's already in the locker room. No 2nd chances on this one.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
you would have been in a bad mood.....
You should see my next post.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

They can try to face guard me all they want. They can't stop me, they can only hope to try to contain me.

Sounds to me like the coaching staff should be less worried about finishing the game and more worried about keeping their jobs. Any decent school system would send them packing.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
As for a Box + 1, I am a bigger fan of the Triangle + 2 but to each their own!!
Years ago I volunteered and coached 11-13 year olds at the local JCC and we ran a 1-3-1 to great success.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
They can try to face guard me all they want. They can't stop me, they can only hope to try to contain me.
I barely missed my monitor after this!

As for the coach and player, they're getting the 2-for-1 special. And coach is done for the night.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

So - a team is up by 25 with two minutes to go and the fans of the losing team blame it all on the refs. What else is new?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
So - a team is up by 25 with two minutes to go and the fans of the losing team blame it all on the refs. What else is new?
Simple matter of math, Mark. Apparently, the coach in question felt that the referee team was worth a triple double. Thus, the 25 point lead was still less than the 30 spot that the officiating team was worth.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The player face guarding me would've gotten the fastest technical I've ever given and then I would've probably ended up with two on the bench.

If it's true (stress on IF) that the officials allowed this face-guarding to happen for a long period of time, then I gotta wonder about the caliber of these officials.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Warning...typical fanboy nonsense involved.
I stopped reading when I saw the 15-4 foul complaint.

Doesn't suprise me that the point differential ended up almost 30.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

These message boards basically are all the same. The officials deliberately screwed us. Yada, yada, yada.

And on this particular one, I wouldn't believe anything unless it came from the officials involved, their association or the state.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

I want to hear some coach complain to me about the score count. Or the travel count. Or the turnover count. Or the three point shot made count. Maybe we should endeavor to make sure they all don't get too lopsided as well.

What is it about fouls that somehow we should expect that they ought to be equal, or that the count of them ought to be something the official cares about?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

...a quote from one of the "fans" posting on this link:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I think it's about time coaches started making noise about these high school refs. These guys get into this line of work to make a few extra bucks but in reality they play a large part on the kid's college future."

Oh brother....
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
These message boards basically are all the same. The officials deliberately screwed us. Yada, yada, yada.

And on this particular one, I wouldn't believe anything unless it came from the officials involved, their association or the state.
Yep!!!

Peace
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 05:37pm
We don't rent pigs

Even to the point of, "We would have lost the game anyway, but it should have been only by 10. With the bad officiating we lost by 25. It's so unfair!!"

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:49pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Even to the point of, "We would have lost the game anyway, but it should have been only by 10. With the bad officiating we lost by 25. It's so unfair!!"
Which probably translates into: "They wouldn't have beat the spread if it weren't for the refs."