The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

NCPrep 1A basketball message board

if anyone reads NCPrep-1A basketball message board, i would like your thoughts on the post about the game between Nantahala and Avery in the sectional playoffs on Wed. night. what will be the outcome of this action entitled "Nantahala-Avery Game, craziest thing i have ever seen.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

sorry i bothered you....

i was wanting information on what the NCHSSA would do if anything. it is not a fan question. i thought this was a forum to ask for information from people that know answers to questions. when refs are being guarded on the court seems like a legitimate question. i was not asking about the score or the call by the refs. sorry to have bothered you.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Question

What exactly happened in the game?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What happened and what specifically is your question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly100 View Post
i was wanting information on what the NCHSSA would do if anything. it is not a fan question. i thought this was a forum to ask for information from people that know answers to questions. when refs are being guarded on the court seems like a legitimate question. i was not asking about the score or the call by the refs. sorry to have bothered you.
Maybe if you posted the situation we could be of more assistance. We don't have access to the site you refer and most probably won't go looking for it (although I did Google the score/teams).
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

according to the story, the head coach and the assistant was ejected from the game. The team has no coach, so they walk off the court. A dad comes out of the stands to sit on the bench and brings the team back in to play, but by that point the refs are gone. one of the refs was guarded during the game. the game is called with two min. left to play. should the refs have stayed or is it against rules for team to finish game with no coach?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:25am
In Memoriam

Seeing I'm the kinder, gentler JR, here' y'all go.....

NCPreps.com - Message Boards

Click on 1A basketball and then click on the Nantahala vs. Avery thread. Warning...typical fanboy nonsense involved.

Actually an interesting situation though....my apologies to beverly100. It is worthy of discussion.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:43am
9/11 - Never Forget

My thanks to the kindler, gentler JR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Seeing I'm the kinder, gentler JR, here' y'all go.....

NCPreps.com - Message Boards
Wow, face guarding a ref! Who knew? WWMPD?

Taking out all the fanboy stuff, it actually was a good read.

I've actually seen one very inexperienced adult ref leave the court crying during a Rec game due to a coaches behavior........I ended up finishing the game for her.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverly100 View Post
according to the story, the head coach and the assistant was ejected from the game. The team has no coach, so they walk off the court. A dad comes out of the stands to sit on the bench and brings the team back in to play, but by that point the refs are gone. one of the refs was guarded during the game. the game is called with two min. left to play. should the refs have stayed or is it against rules for team to finish game with no coach?
The specific rules about who is allowed to "coach" are state specific.

Once the team leaves, I am out of there.

If they want to finish the game, that's up to the state (I personally wouldn't allow it).

I have no idea why a ref would be "guarded" during the game, or what it has to do with this situation.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:47am
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I have no idea why a ref would be "guarded" during the game, or what it has to do with this situation.
Bob - According to the post, at one point the digruntled coach had "one player face guarding the ref for about five possessions straight."
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:53am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Bob - According to the post, at one point the digruntled coach had "one player face guarding the ref for about five possessions straight."
This evokes the old chestnut where the coach directs his best defender to play box-and-one defense everywhere against 'the most dangerous person on the court'.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Give me a screen

If I was being face guarded in a box and 1, I would signal to my partner to come set a screen to free me up for a "better look"

Seriously, if it actually happened I cannot believe a coach instructed a player to "guard" an official as if to suggest that his team was playing 5 on 8. An unsporting technical should be immediate.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
And after the first possession, the coach would have been in the locker room.

Easy Flagrant T. I might add an unsporting Tech for the player if I was in a bad enough mood.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Agreed. Fire up the T kettle for that one.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I may be wrong, and if I am I have a sneaking suspicion I will find out soon, but at least around here we are not allowed to call a game a forfeit. Officials note the time and verify the score in the book. All forfeits are up to the state league and the schools.
While not having been there I would think it would be pretty obvious that the player was intentionally face guarding an official. I would ask the player for an explaination, tell him it probably is not a good idea, and if he did it again, the player would get a "T". At that point the coach would have a VERY short leash. I can see the coach telling me that HE told the player to guard me, whichwould then be a very nice opportunity to "T" the coach as well and do his best Elvis imitation and "leave the building"!
As for a Box + 1, I am a bigger fan of the Triangle + 2 but to each their own!!

Last edited by Judtech; Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 11:07am.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:06am
9/11 - Never Forget

and apparently by the tone of your post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And after the first possession, the coach would have been in the locker room.

Easy Flagrant T. I might add an unsporting Tech for the player if I was in a bad enough mood.
you would have been in a bad mood.....