The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

switching chapters

Question for anyone who have had to switch to another chapter in the same state. I'm considering a move to a different chapter in this district. The chapter is about 40 minutes away, and I may be moving down that way next year anyways. but my question is this... Is it a hard move? Will I pretty much have to start from the bottom again and move my way up to where I am now in this chapter? Some of the guys down that way know me already, as I've officiated there when I was going to a school in that area. The thing is that I'm getting very well recognized by coaches here and I think I should be doing varsity games regularly in the next few years in this area. I'm just getting sick of the rumors and stuff that are flying around about me which are all completely false accusations, that I just want to get the heck outta here.

Please note, I'm not moving (as of now) to that area. I just want to switch because I'm getting sick of the stuff that goes on around. However, it is quite possible for me to move there within the next year or two depending on job opportunities once I'm done this internship I'm doing now. But only time will tell that.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Anytime you make a career decision, you need to make it for the right reasons. Not everything is greener on the other side. But then again you have to be happy. Just because you move is not going to stop people from taking about whatever they want to talk about. Some of it we cause by getting involved in when we should just keep our mouth shut. Now I know absolutely nothing about you and what you should or should not do, but change for the sake of change is not always the best thing. And I also do not live in a system where the organization I belong to makes that much of a difference. Here we work for whomever we want to as long as they give us games and the organization I belong to is irrelevant. But I have had experience in having to make a career decision and I did so being very careful about that decision. At the end of the day you have to be the one that is happy, but you also have to live with your decision.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Anytime you make a career decision, you need to make it for the right reasons. Not everything is greener on the other side. But then again you have to be happy. Just because you move is not going to stop people from taking about whatever they want to talk about. Some of it we cause by getting involved in when we should just keep our mouth shut. Now I know absolutely nothing about you and what you should or should not do, but change for the sake of change is not always the best thing. And I also do not live in a system where the organization I belong to makes that much of a difference. Here we work for whomever we want to as long as they give us games and the organization I belong to is irrelevant. But I have had experience in having to make a career decision and I did so being very careful about that decision. At the end of the day you have to be the one that is happy, but you also have to live with your decision.

Peace
I think that's one of those things he'll spend three minutes reading, then realize you've told him nothing
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Question for anyone who have had to switch to another chapter in the same state. I'm considering a move to a different chapter in this district. The chapter is about 40 minutes away, and I may be moving down that way next year anyways. but my question is this... Is it a hard move? Will I pretty much have to start from the bottom again and move my way up to where I am now in this chapter? Some of the guys down that way know me already, as I've officiated there when I was going to a school in that area. The thing is that I'm getting very well recognized by coaches here and I think I should be doing varsity games regularly in the next few years in this area. I'm just getting sick of the rumors and stuff that are flying around about me which are all completely false accusations, that I just want to get the heck outta here.

Please note, I'm not moving (as of now) to that area. I just want to switch because I'm getting sick of the stuff that goes on around. However, it is quite possible for me to move there within the next year or two depending on job opportunities once I'm done this internship I'm doing now. But only time will tell that.
This is absolutely classic. "It's not me, it's the chapter. If I could just go somewhere else, they would see my immense talent and move me right to the top."
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 06:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Anytime you make a career decision, you need to make it for the right reasons. Not everything is greener on the other side.
Amen brother Rut.

I've seen a good many folks switch jobs for the wrong reasons and not be happy or were less satisfied with their new location/position.

One boss I worked for used to say, "Better, is the enemy of good enough."

Rep - it's an individual choice that only you can make. If you think your situation is intolerable and you need a change - leap and good luck! I'm sure there are success stories with this approach too.

But, the chatting, rumors, backstabbing......that's just life.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This is absolutely classic. "It's not me, it's the chapter. If I could just go somewhere else, they would see my immense talent and move me right to the top."
Yeah, that's what I saw too. The moving expenses would be better spent on a good camp.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

If you are switching chapters it is ALWAYS a good idea to get a "letter of introduction" or reference letter from your current association. This goes double if you are switching associations yet not switching addresses. More than likely you will start at a little bit lower level then you are currently at so your new assignor can get a handle on where you are at in their eyes. If you don't/can't get a letter from your assignor, your new one will be a little suspicious and in the back of their will be wondering why you left. And if you leave b/c they "didn't recognize my talent" then you are sunk.
Even though I have been told we don't "eat our own", the back stabbing and rumors are just part of the biz. The best thing you can do is ignore them and make sure YOU don't fall into the same behavior.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

The leadership at your new chapter will contact the leadership at your old chapter to get a feel for your abilities. If they don't, you'll start at the bottom until they watch you work..

If you try to circumvent that process in anyway, by badmouthing your old chapter for example, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot and will be lucky to get middle school games.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Quote:
+1

I don't know you personally, but from what I've read of your posts you come across as someone who has a fairly high opinion of themselves and their ability to officiate. Obviously, this opinion is not shared by your association or you wouldn't be complaining about not getting enough Varsity games. So once, just this once, I'm going to break my rule about giving unsolicited advice.

I used to have the same attitude you seem to have. Young, brash, cocky, and I thought I was a much better official than guys who had been doing this for years. I had to realize through some hard times and humbling that I wasn't the best official out there, and I was far from it. I finally realized this, and just shut my mouth and listened and said "yes sir" or "no sir". It was amazing how much more I learned and how faster I progressed up the ladder.

Maybe you should try that before you change associations. Of course, it's all up to you.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
+1

I don't know you personally, but from what I've read of your posts you come across as someone who has a fairly high opinion of themselves and their ability to officiate. Obviously, this opinion is not shared by your association or you wouldn't be complaining about not getting enough Varsity games. So once, just this once, I'm going to break my rule about giving unsolicited advice.

I used to have the same attitude you seem to have. Young, brash, cocky, and I thought I was a much better official than guys who had been doing this for years. I had to realize through some hard times and humbling that I wasn't the best official out there, and I was far from it. I finally realized this, and just shut my mouth and listened and said "yes sir" or "no sir". It was amazing how much more I learned and how faster I progressed up the ladder.

Maybe you should try that before you change associations. Of course, it's all up to you.
The first thing I would do if I was running the "new chapter" is call the guy who ran the "old chapter." They're in the same state, it's likely they know each other and also likely they're on friendly terms. If this is the case, he gets nowhere by moving.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The first thing I would do if I was running the "new chapter" is call the guy who ran the "old chapter." They're in the same state, it's likely they know each other and also likely they're on friendly terms. If this is the case, he gets nowhere by moving.
Exactly.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yep, that's what I'm getting from it too.

Representing, I don't know you but from what I read from your posts on here, trouble/controversy seems to follow you. Look inward; perhaps instead of changing your location you need to change your actions. Just a thought.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just getting sick of the rumors and stuff that are flying around about me which are all completely false accusations, that I just want to get the heck outta here.
What are the rumors?
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
What are the rumors?
That he has been bad-mouthing his partners on internet blogs.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:56pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
That he has been bad-mouthing his partners on internet blogs.
That's not a rumor......