The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 02:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Are there any officials associations out there that advocate not switching on certain fouls with 2-official crews?

I ask this because watching a college women's game last week I noticed (with a 3-official crew) the crew not doing the long switch. With fouls in the backcourt, it is sometimes tedious to switch -- stepping out, reporting, and stepping back in would be easier.

Of course, there are other circumstances where not switching would be easier on the officials -- a foul called by the trail in the frontcourt, for example.

I don't have my FED mechanics manual with me, so if there's been any change in the last few years that I've missed, somebody let me know.

BTW, I'm still switching on EVERY foul (well, unless it's Saturday morning rec ball).

Rich
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

To switch or not to.....

Actually nothing has changed that I know of. Switch on all fouls except those in backcourt to avoid the "long switch". Same thing holds true in three person mechanics, switch on all fouls except those in backcourt to avoid the long switch.

Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rich:

Although I am sure it is NOT supported by the FED officaials handbook, in HS ball here in SE minn we switch on most all fouls but in a couple of situations (when you have had a good pregame w/ your partner). Trail calls foul in front court non-shooting. IF ball is to remain on T's side of court above FT line report foul inbound ball. T calls foul neer top of KEY in F court no FT where ball goes underneath, report foul lead puts in play no switch. T in transition to FC calls defensive foul no FT ball to be put in play on T's sideline report foul put in play no switch. Like I said this is not supported by FED but a couple of partners I work w/ a lot use this as we believe it improves game flow. Assignors here do not have a prob w/. However if we are being evaluated or working a different conference w/ an unfirmiliar assignor we usually do not use as they may not like the mechanic. I am sure many advocate switching on every foul, but IMO if you an partner are on same page and you feel comfortable go w/ it.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 02:53pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: To switch or not to.....

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Actually nothing has changed that I know of. Switch on all fouls except those in backcourt to avoid the "long switch". Same thing holds true in three person mechanics, switch on all fouls except those in backcourt to avoid the long switch.

Actually, it's no switch on fouls in the backcourt which do not involve free throws...
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: To switch or not to.....

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Hmmmmm, now it's my turn to ask if we're talking men's or women's In men's NCAA mechanics, we switch on all fouls, even backcourt, even when there's FTs, or no FTs, or whatever the exception for women is. Only in 2-whistle do NCAA men's officials avoid the long switch.

Chuck
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Amazing how many variants so far.

Chuck, 2-whistle high school. Switch on every foul?

Rich
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
In Texas we do not switch on nonshooting fouls (unless of course you have had several in a row on the same end and just want a new view of things ).
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
In Texas we do not switch on nonshooting fouls (unless of course you have had several in a row on the same end and just want a new view of things ).
For 2 whistle mechanics, that's TASO's requirement.
Old Mon Jan 06, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Chuck, 2-whistle high school. Switch on every foul?
Yup, just like the NF Official's Manual says.

Chuck
Old Tue Jan 07, 2003, 08:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

OK, then I'm not the only one

I do like the idea of not doing the long switch, but then again I also like switching because if we have one aggressive team that's pressing then I'm not calling foul after foul in the backcourt.

I'm not a betting person, but I think if there's one place that college mechanics will trickle down to the NFHS (eventually), it will be in the switching after fouls.

Another place where a no switch makes sense is in the frontcourt where the trail calls a foul and the ball is put back into play above the free throw line extended. Call the foul, report the foul, put the ball back into play. The most either official would have to do is change sides of the court.

But for now I'll do things the way the NFHS wants them. In Wisconsin, that's a point of emphasis this season.

Rich