The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 03:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Last TV game or at least filmed highlights was a version of twilight zone.

Here's hoping this time more like an ESPN web gem.
It was a great game and I'm happy with how we officiated it. I just finished watching it on my DVR. The color commentator is a former coach in the conference and he only was critical on two calls, one which showed he was a decent coach, but knows nothing about officiating -- in other words, a typical commentator.

I'm ready for my next big game. Probably won't happen again this season, though. Too bad, I'd do another like tonight again tomorrow if I could.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 05:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
I really dont have a problem doing the game. I have no issues with starting with a clean slate, I do that everytime. The situation was very messy though....apparently theres been a lot of talk about it...some here may have even heard about it.

I was officiating a JV girls game. V head coach is sitting on the bench. About 5 mins. in, I call a 5 sec inbounding violation on the JV team. He goes crazy...doesnt know the rule, tells me I am suppose to wait for his girl to get the ball before I start my count. I knew the team wasnt all that athletic and actually gave the girl 7 seconds (and Ive been told I have a slow count). I try to explain the rule to him, he says hes been coaching 20 yrs and theres no such rule, hes never heard of it. I tell him I will show him at half time. He sits down and just wont shut up. I give him the stop sign tell him Ive heard enough after a comment on how hes glad Im not doing his game, etc.

Halftime comes, a Varsity official that had arrived tried to explain it to him. He starts swearing "thats b*llsh*t" comes out a couple times loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear it, so I toss him. Thats the readers digest version...

There were some issues with the fact that he was the varsity coach, but since he was on the bench he was considered bench personel. He was allowed to come back that night and coach his team, which shouldnt have happened, but it did.

I guess I could just do the game and been his worst nightmare when he seen me, but its districts and my first one...I dont want to ruffle any feathers. I wouldnt want him to lose and then try to say its my fault or something. Not exactly a conflict of interest but....better safe than sorry I guess.

This season was a rough one for me. I actually tossed 2 coaches. Makes my stomach turn a little, but they were both deserved. ~~
Sounds depressing...whatsI the deal? anyone on the bench is bench personnel in your game. Who cares if they are to coach the game after yours? I ALWAYS treat every participant in my games the same. Head coach, players, and bench personnel. I dont care WHO THEY ARE. Once you start caring you are showing favoritism.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Congrats to all! Have fun at this exciting time of the season. I just found out I will be working a Girl's second round and state semi-final game and the Boy's second round and the State Championship game.
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Since there have been a number of threads about people working post season. I thought it would be nice to put them all under one thread. Best of luck and congrats to everyone that recieved this acknowledgement of their hard work and dedication!

We only assign a round at a time, I received a first round AA boys game. (this is districts) I also received my letter to be able to be used in the state playoffs.
Congrats! What District do you officiate in? Great job and good luck in the PIAA selection process.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

2nd Round

I got my second rnd assignments on Sunday night. I received a single A boys game and a AAA girls game. This is the first time where I received 2 snd round games. Can't wait for tonight.

Last edited by PIAA REF; Tue Mar 02, 2010 at 09:58am.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is one of the best situations you can be in. You have a coach in a game where if they lose they go home. And he has to behave himself if he wants to see the end of the game. And it validates to that coach that someone thinks you did the right thing directly or indirectly. I like to have coaches that I have had problems with in the regular season or some time previous and then have them in the post season. Almost all the time they are very well behaved and I do not have to say much to them all night.

Peace
Jeff makes a good point. I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. A prominent high school coach was really upset with me after a game. He called our assignor to complain and asked that I not referee anymore of his games. My assignor said that he thought I was capable and that he would not have assigned me if he thought otherwise.

Fast forward 6 weeks later. I was assigned to my first provincial (in Canada) final. As I walk onto the floor, I see the coach who complained sitting courtside (as a spectator) and I could tell by his expression that he was very surprised that I was there. I have never had a problem with him since.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:48am
Esteemed Participant

Rumor has it that M&M Guy and scrapper1 will both be working some games in the NCAA D-III National Tournaments!!

Good job for them!!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Selected to AA boys and girls tournament (run concurrently at the same venues). Worked the girls bronze medal game.

Due to a presumably Olympic-related scheduling quirk, I have three AAA boys regional games this week... after the AA provincials have already wrapped up. One of those games is a semi-final.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Jeff makes a good point. I had a somewhat similar situation a few years ago. A prominent high school coach was really upset with me after a game. He called our assignor to complain and asked that I not referee anymore of his games. My assignor said that he thought I was capable and that he would not have assigned me if he thought otherwise.

Fast forward 6 weeks later. I was assigned to my first provincial (in Canada) final. As I walk onto the floor, I see the coach who complained sitting courtside (as a spectator) and I could tell by his expression that he was very surprised that I was there. I have never had a problem with him since.
I worked a pretty big game last Thursday that was televised locally and last night I went to a small school about 10 minutes from my house. The boys coach came up to me during the JV game (we were watching in the stands) and said, "I saw you on TV Thursday -- you guys looked good" etc., etc.

Kind of the same feeling. I figure if I ever get selected to work a state game there'll be a handful of coaches see me and wonder "how did he get THIS game?" LOL.

I know he wasn't working me, BTW -- it was a girls game last night.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Rumor has it that M&M Guy and scrapper1 will both be working some games in the NCAA D-III National Tournaments!!

Good job for them!!
Wow, that is awesome. Great job guys. Let us know where you might be. Maybe we can go see you work.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 11:38am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Wow, that is awesome. Great job guys. Let us know where you might be. Maybe we can go see you work.

Peace
Very cool!

We could get the Chat Room going early and talk about em! In a good way of course.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck to all on all your games. Flying out tomorrow night to our regional tournament. Should be a good time. Looking forward to hearing about your games and experiences.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Not sure about Scrappy, but I know I'll never tell you guys where I'm working. I've been in that chat room before...

Well, I will give you hint - the sideline reporter will not be Erin Andrews, or even Jen from Fox Sports Midwest. I think it's either Helga or her sister Olga...

But it's a cool feeling to be selected, and it feels the same as my first HS playoff game. I know there's a small amount of luck involved in being at the level I'm at, so I'm grateful for whatever games I can work. Playoff time really is different than the regular season, and it's a great experience if you can get to be a part of it, no matter what the level.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
Not sure about Scrappy, but I know I'll never tell you guys where I'm working. I've been in that chat room before...

Well, I will give you hint - the sideline reporter will not be Erin Andrews, or even Jen from Fox Sports Midwest. I think it's either Helga or her sister Olga...

But it's a cool feeling to be selected, and it feels the same as my first HS playoff game. I know there's a small amount of luck involved in being at the level I'm at, so I'm grateful for whatever games I can work. Playoff time really is different than the regular season, and it's a great experience if you can get to be a part of it, no matter what the level.
I agree. Cograts M&M.