The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

My first post-season action

My 2nd year working JV and I got asked to do work girls JV post-season tournament tonight!

I know it's not much, but it means I'm progressing!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:41am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Congrats! Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 11:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Congrats. Around here, there is no JV post-season. I think it's a great idea, though, and hope you have a great game.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
My 2nd year working JV and I got asked to do work girls JV post-season tournament tonight!

Congrats....we dont have post season JV in our area either. But I hope to get post season Varsity!!!!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

What a fiasco that is!

Congrats.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:

You must be in SoCal! Next year, you'll get the boys V state championship game then it's off to D1 and the following year, the NBA!

(Note the smilie - this isn't a comment on you, but on SoCal)
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I Missed Out

I missed out on a great opportunity last weekend. Last summer, I attended a high school camp where there were Varsity Boys/Girls games. Out of know where, the camp director called me last Friday to work a County Tournament game. The problem is, he called my work phone and I wasn't in the office that day. When I returned to work on Monday, I received his voice message. I called him and left a message letting him know that he should call my cell. I haven't heard anything back. So, I'm guessing he thinks I'm pulling his leg or I just won't be needed for another tournament.

Congrats to you!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
You must be in SoCal! Next year, you'll get the boys V state championship game then it's off to D1 and the following year, the NBA!

(Note the smilie - this isn't a comment on you, but on SoCal)
Why do you say that?

What's the big deal with just getting playofs. In all honesty the first couple rounds of girls varsity and even most boys varsity isnt much fun. The games are usually very lopsided as the higher seeded teams are way better than their opponents.

Until you get into the later rounds you are looking at a lot of cannon fodder.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Jim Mora would say

PLAYOFFS? You got to be kidding, I would just like to officiate a regular game.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why do you say that?

What's the big deal with just getting playofs. In all honesty the first couple rounds of girls varsity and even most boys varsity isnt much fun. The games are usually very lopsided as the higher seeded teams are way better than their opponents.

Until you get into the later rounds you are looking at a lot of cannon fodder.
Not to speak for the original poster, but I think its an idea of "baby steps". You gotta start somewhere, and being a first year official, I would LOVE to have ANY playoff games my 2nd year, lopsided matchup or not. You can't replace game experience, no matter WHAT the game
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
Not to speak for the original poster, but I think its an idea of "baby steps". You gotta start somewhere, and being a first year official, I would LOVE to have ANY playoff games my 2nd year, lopsided matchup or not. You can't replace game experience, no matter WHAT the game
Agreed. Considering the large number of JV officials in our association, getting the JV playoffs is a huge vote of confidence.

The game may not be all that exciting, but I'll take the tip-of-the-hat nonetheless.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

I hate to rain on your parade but they just need warm bodies for these games. Its just a fact of life. The only time you really gain experience is if a situation arises that you normally dont see, or if you start seeing play and skill that you are not used to. Like action above the rim. A 60 point blowout in the post season is the same as a 60 point blow out in the beginning of the season. The only difference is that if you ever want the later rounds you HAVE to have done the earlier rounds. But do not equate just doing a playoff game as gaining any gainful experience. You can do that over the regular season. Its just a necessary step in the process and IMO doesnt help you, nor does it hurt.

I dont mean to take away from your excitement but temper your expectations with the reality of the situation.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate to rain on your parade but they just need warm bodies for these games. Its just a fact of life. The only time you really gain experience is if a situation arises that you normally dont see, or if you start seeing play and skill that you are not used to. Like action above the rim. A 60 point blowout in the post season is the same as a 60 point blow out in the beginning of the season. The only difference is that if you ever want the later rounds you HAVE to have done the earlier rounds. But do not equate just doing a playoff game as gaining any gainful experience. You can do that over the regular season. Its just a necessary step in the process and IMO doesnt help you, nor does it hurt.

I dont mean to take away from your excitement but temper your expectations with the reality of the situation.
"Sorry Mr. Assigner, I'll have to turn down this JV playoff game in my 2nd year. I know you just need warm bodies and I won't really gain any experience working THIS lower level playoff game

Just kidding, I hear what you're saying, but I would still take the game and enjoy it and work as hard as I could and learn as much as I could from my partner!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The game may not be all that exciting, but I'll take the tip-of-the-hat nonetheless.
Certainly better than a wag of the finger. . .

Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The reality of the situation is that they don't assign these games to some joe-blow off the street or the first JV official they can get on the phone.

So, while I would agree with you that the physical act of reffing the game doesn't necessarily help me progress, the fact that I am working the game indicates that I have progressed.