The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Has anyone come across any information concerning what umpires were selected to work the Division Series(s) and the League Championship Series(s) as of yet?

I did not see anything on MLB's website under the umpire's section, so I was curious if anybody had read anything or heard anything?
Old Sun Oct 03, 2004, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Umpires are notified the next to last saturday of the regular season, so they know who they are. I imagine sometime tomorrow it will be annoucned on the MLB.com umpire section.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

DS crews will stay with same series throughout. Crews will not switch in the middle of the series as in year's past. Numbers in parentheses are the game that the umpire will work the plate. The position in brackets is the game one assignment.

NLDS: LA vs STL Davis [LF](Chief)(5), Scott [PLATE](plate for game 1), Gibson [1B] (2), Meriwether [2B] (3), Dreckman [3B] (4), O'Nora [RF], Supervisor is Marty Springstead

NLDS: HOU @ ATL Brinkman [LF] (Chief)(5), McClelland [PLATE] (1), Cuzzi [1B] (2), Bell [2B] (3), Culbreth [3B] (4), Randazzo [RF], Supervisor is Jim McKean

ALDS: BOS @ ANA Montague [LF] (Chief)(5), Young [PLATE] (1), Meals [1B] (2), Runge [2B] (3), Cederstrom [3B] (4), Danley [RF], Supervisor is Rich Garcia

ALDS: MIN @ NYY Crawford [LF] (Chief)(5), Reliford [PLATE] (1), Wegner [1B] (2), Gorman [2B] (3), Everitt [3B] (4), Nauert [RF], Supervisor is Rich Reiker

ALCS: Randy Marsh (Chief), plate; Jeff Nelson 1B; John Hirschbeck 2B, Jim Joyce 3B; Jeff Kellogg LF; Joe West RF (first game assignments)

NLCS: Tim Welke (Chief), plate; Eric Cooper 1B; Gary Darling 2B; Mike Winters 3B; Angel Hernandez LF; Ed Rapuano RF
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hensley

NLCS: Angel Hernandez LF;
I assume they're hoping he does better in LF than he did in RF.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you get the LCS assignments already and the supervisors? Thanks
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason
I am surprised, Alfonso Marquez did not get an assignment. He's one of the better young umpires out there, as was another person on his crew this year, Ted Barrett.

Also no, Paul Schrieber, I think he too is a good umpire. Intersting.

How come no CB Bucknor?
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
I am surprised, Alfonso Marquez did not get an assignment. He's one of the better young umpires out there, as was another person on his crew this year, Ted Barrett.

Also no, Paul Schrieber, I think he too is a good umpire. Intersting.

How come no CB Bucknor?
Keep in mind that the next series (LCS) will feature new crews. So there are many good umpires not featured right now.
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Look at Hensley's post. The LCS crews have already been announced. The only thing we haven't seen yet is the World Series crew.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

My predicted World Series crew is and positions for Game 1:

Gerry Davis (Crew Chief)(plate for game 1)
Dale Scott - 1st Base
Mark Wegner - 2nd Base
Mike Everitt - 3rd Base
Chuck Meriwether - LF Line
Wally Bell - RF Line

However, it would not suprise me to Montague, Crawford, or Brinkman get the nod to work the series, and also the nod for Crew Chief either. The guy I would really like to see get serious consideration for the World Series is Greg Gibson.

This is another young umpire working his second or third straight DS who does a really good job both in the field and behind the plate.

We shall wait and see what happens. If I am correct, LCS umpires are not eligible for World Series consideration? Correct? or Incorrect?

[Edited by johnSandlin on Oct 7th, 2004 at 12:07 PM]
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Usually they do not work back to back series. All of the WS umpires are guys who have worked during the division series. The MLB website says that the only constraint is that a umpire may not work consecutive world series.

Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Missing a call at first base on a close play is unacceptable? to you? He missed the call. It happens. Gerry Davis is a great umpire who has probably worked over 3,000 games in the big leagues. Obviously you're in no position to badmouth anyone in the bigs, but there is not one good official in any sport that I know who would go on a message board a few hours after a game to say a fellow official has "blown" a call and then have the audacity to say this is unacceptable. Badmouthing another official, especially a professional, this is what's "unacceptable."
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason
I am a huge Dodgers fan, but I too see no reason to put any blame on Gerry Davis. Infact a fellow umpire I know told me how Gerry Davis blew the call...and that pisses me off. How can another umpire go and judge another umpire when they too know how tough it is out there!?

That call had to affect on the game....it is the Dodgers who choked. That crew called a good series. Infact all the crews so far have called good games.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jont
Missing a call at first base on a close play is unacceptable? to you? He missed the call. It happens. Gerry Davis is a great umpire who has probably worked over 3,000 games in the big leagues. Obviously you're in no position to badmouth anyone in the bigs, but there is not one good official in any sport that I know who would go on a message board a few hours after a game to say a fellow official has "blown" a call and then have the audacity to say this is unacceptable. Badmouthing another official, especially a professional, this is what's "unacceptable."
1. Umpires aim for perfection, right? So in our own eyes blown calls are unacceptable. What's wrong with jpc saying GD blew a call? Maybe to someone (like me) who didn't see the play this is news.

2. If an MLB ump blows a call, why is it "badmouthing" to say that he blew it? If somebody called him a moron or some other name, I could understand the charge of "badmouthing." But if the ump blew the call, then saying that he blew the call is just the truth. Often the MLB guys own up to it later. I don't know why it's any less acceptable for a veteran to blow a call than a rookie, but maybe it is more surprising. If that's what jpc meant, then he's saying Davis is good, not that he's bad.

3. I guess you feel that jpc is presumptuous to point out Davis's error. But do you think Gerry Davis needs you to "defend" him?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

With respect to Gerry Davis's call on Milton Bradley last not. Did Gerry miss the call? Yes, he did. However, I think you have to take into consideration what the FOX commentators said during the broadcast last night when this happened.

At times such as these, your reputation proceeds you. As much as we try our hardest as umpires from little league all the way up to the MLB umpires, to leave past experiences with players behind us or leave known information about a players behavior behind us, often times it does not work out like we plan it.

For example, last night....I would have reason to believe that situation that Milton Bradley found himself in just a week before did run through Gerry's mind. With that being said, am I saying that Gerry (who has an awesome resume with regards to umpiring) have a predetermined call in his mind with regards to Milton Bradley...ABSOLUTELY NOT!! but I am sure that previous situation involving Milton Bradley did run through the umpires' minds at some point.

To the umpire who posted the comment "that it was unacceptable to blow the call." Be careful on saying that for that comment will come back to haunt you at some point in your umpiring future.
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpc2119

And wow did Gerry Davis blow that call at first with Milton Bradley...that play wasn't even close, and that's unacceptable by a veteran like Davis.
I watched the game. That play was a banger. In Slo-MO he was indeed safe. However, the way Gerry saw the play it could have gone either way. He probably saw it as a tie and banged him. I don't think that it was Bradley (a jack*** though he may be) had any effect on the call.