The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Post Season Assignments

Since there have been a number of threads about people working post season. I thought it would be nice to put them all under one thread. Best of luck and congrats to everyone that recieved this acknowledgement of their hard work and dedication!

We only assign a round at a time, I received a first round AA boys game. (this is districts) I also received my letter to be able to be used in the state playoffs.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Got a 1st round boy's Monday and a 2nd round boy's game tonight.

I'm excited considering it's my 1st year in a new state and I've only been officiating for 4 years now.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations from the Golden State-
Enjoy the games and let us know how they went!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:58pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlingrocks View Post
Got a 1st round boy's Monday and a 2nd round boy's game tonight.

I'm excited considering it's my 1st year in a new state and I've only been officiating for 4 years now.
Must be in, wait for it.......

So Cal???

BTW, maz'l tov (Good luck) and enjoy!!
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
Since there have been a number of threads about people working post season. I thought it would be nice to put them all under one thread. Best of luck and congrats to everyone that recieved this acknowledgement of their hard work and dedication!

We only assign a round at a time, I received a first round AA boys game. (this is districts) I also received my letter to be able to be used in the state playoffs.

Curious, what does this mean "I also received my letter to be able to be used in the state playoffs."
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

In Wisconsin we receive our assigments for the entire tournament in late January. I have 9 playoff games (boys and girls) which includes a trip to the WIAA Girls State Tournament.

Congrats to everyone that has been assigned a playoff or state game.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
In Wisconsin we receive our assigments for the entire tournament in late January. I have 9 playoff games (boys and girls) which includes a trip to the WIAA Girls State Tournament.

Congrats to everyone that has been assigned a playoff or state game.
Congrats.

My big game remaining is tonight. It's on TV in the Madison area and is getting a lot of hype. After tonight, I only have a handful of games remaining.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Congrats.

My big game remaining is tonight. It's on TV in the Madison area and is getting a lot of hype. After tonight, I only have a handful of games remaining.
Last TV game or at least filmed highlights was a version of twilight zone.

Here's hoping this time more like an ESPN web gem.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post

Picked up my first NCAA tournament assignment. While it's only one game I finally broke into 'the club' I'll be in St Louis, booked at the Marriott, but don't know my partners. I'm really excited!

Then I woke up.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Darn it... If you were in St. Louis, then I would have looked for you at the Marriott. Oh well.........
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Curious, what does this mean "I also received my letter to be able to be used in the state playoffs."
In PA, an official will receive a letter from the PIAA (governing body) when that official becomes eligible to work post season at the state level. Nothing guaranteed, but it's a good indication that you will be considered.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Received my first district assignment this year! Very Excited!!

I logged on to see the tournament schedule and sure enough one of the teams is a team that I tossed the coach from earlier in the season! Not good!! I called the state and let them know it might be considered a conflict of interest...got moved to a later game that night, whew!

Hoping it goes smooth! Good luck to everyone in the post season~~
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheske44 View Post
Received my first district assignment this year! Very Excited!!

I logged on to see the tournament schedule and sure enough one of the teams is a team that I tossed the coach from earlier in the season! Not good!! I called the state and let them know it might be considered a conflict of interest...got moved to a later game that night, whew!

Hoping it goes smooth! Good luck to everyone in the post season~~
Why would you consider this a conflict of interest? The coach might not like it but one of our top 3 tennets as officials is to start each game with a clean slate.

I do not hold past actions by players or coaches against them, however if I do know of a pattern of behavior by a coach or player then I just cut it off at the pass sooner rather than later.

But I do give you credit for being about as PC about the situation as anyone could have.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

I really dont have a problem doing the game. I have no issues with starting with a clean slate, I do that everytime. The situation was very messy though....apparently theres been a lot of talk about it...some here may have even heard about it.

I was officiating a JV girls game. V head coach is sitting on the bench. About 5 mins. in, I call a 5 sec inbounding violation on the JV team. He goes crazy...doesnt know the rule, tells me I am suppose to wait for his girl to get the ball before I start my count. I knew the team wasnt all that athletic and actually gave the girl 7 seconds (and Ive been told I have a slow count). I try to explain the rule to him, he says hes been coaching 20 yrs and theres no such rule, hes never heard of it. I tell him I will show him at half time. He sits down and just wont shut up. I give him the stop sign tell him Ive heard enough after a comment on how hes glad Im not doing his game, etc.

Halftime comes, a Varsity official that had arrived tried to explain it to him. He starts swearing "thats b*llsh*t" comes out a couple times loud enough for everyone in the gym to hear it, so I toss him. Thats the readers digest version...

There were some issues with the fact that he was the varsity coach, but since he was on the bench he was considered bench personel. He was allowed to come back that night and coach his team, which shouldnt have happened, but it did.

I guess I could just do the game and been his worst nightmare when he seen me, but its districts and my first one...I dont want to ruffle any feathers. I wouldnt want him to lose and then try to say its my fault or something. Not exactly a conflict of interest but....better safe than sorry I guess.

This season was a rough one for me. I actually tossed 2 coaches. Makes my stomach turn a little, but they were both deserved. ~~
Old Fri Feb 26, 2010, 01:43am
Do not give a damn!!

That is one of the best situations you can be in. You have a coach in a game where if they lose they go home. And he has to behave himself if he wants to see the end of the game. And it validates to that coach that someone thinks you did the right thing directly or indirectly. I like to have coaches that I have had problems with in the regular season or some time previous and then have them in the post season. Almost all the time they are very well behaved and I do not have to say much to them all night.

Peace