The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

For the record it was one of those pink rubbery bracelets. The mention of pulling the sock over the bracelet is good. However, I think she was wearing those low socks
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Ok thanks. That is what I was thinking. There is also the possiblilty of using athletic tape to cover it.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
There is also the possiblilty of using athletic tape to cover it.
Not under the rules, there isn't.

If it's visible, it comes off.

How far do you take these things? Yes, cancer is a great cause; it is an insidious disease that affects most everyone in some way. But there are other diseases...and causes...that also issue bracelets. Where do you draw the line? Would you allow one and not another? Or are you going to allow several bracelets to be worn, depending on your personal empathy to a particular cause?

This one is is a no-brainer imo. Go to someone in authority in your association/state and get their direction. Then have everyone in your local area call it uniformly. Don't be "that guy".
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Based on this situation I would be a little more lenient if I had to make an on the spot decision. I would be all for pulling a sock over it, or putting tape around the ankle to cover it.
After the game I would def. notify the assignor and let them know the situation and let them handle the situation. I would rather not be that guy who disrespected the memory of the girls mother. Once there was a direction one way or the other, then I would go with it.
If it was some type of friendship bracelet etc, then no. Tape over the ear? Yep pretty sure they are trying to cover an earring. Gotta go. Even had one girl with tape over her nose like it was broke, but was just had her nose pierced BEFORE the game. Nope!
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would rather not be that guy who disrespected the memory of the girls mother.
Are you kidding me with this? How is not allowing a kid to wear a bracelet disrespecting her mother? That's ridiculous on so many levels. What if she wore a huge pink earring in memory of her mother? Please. This is silly. No jewelry. Period. Have some stones...
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

He said he did and the player was showing it as a sign of support for her mother who was battling breast cancer

That would be how. Let the coaches, AD's and Assignors decide how to proceed going forward. If we had received directions prior to the game that this player was doing this and it needed to be removed, then I would have it removed. Having the inforation given in the original post, I would ask her to cover it (sock or tape) and after the game alert the assignor about the situation so that there will be a "uniform" policy on the matter.
And we are not talking about ear rings. we are talking about a rubber ankle braclet. If I wanted to be ridiculous I would have said we could let it go as is b/c it is a sign of the grieving process which is a medical condition ergo: legal. Or I could have said that if she just pulled it up just under her knee cap it could be classified as a medical necessity b/c it would appear to be acting as a petalla brace. Now THAT would be ridiculous.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He said he did and the player was showing it as a sign of support for her mother who was battling breast cancer

That would be how. Let the coaches, AD's and Assignors decide how to proceed going forward. If we had received directions prior to the game that this player was doing this and it needed to be removed, then I would have it removed. Having the inforation given in the original post, I would ask her to cover it (sock or tape) and after the game alert the assignor about the situation so that there will be a "uniform" policy on the matter.
And we are not talking about ear rings. we are talking about a rubber ankle braclet. If I wanted to be ridiculous I would have said we could let it go as is b/c it is a sign of the grieving process which is a medical condition ergo: legal. Or I could have said that if she just pulled it up just under her knee cap it could be classified as a medical necessity b/c it would appear to be acting as a petalla brace. Now THAT would be ridiculous.
There are MANY signs of support that would be legal. She could write mom's name on her shoe (in pink even). She could silently support her mom. On and on it goes. The one thing she can't do is support her mom by wearing illegal equipment. For crying out loud - it's a flippin' rubber bracelet (which is considered jewelry everywhere I've been) - what significance does this have??? It comes off or she doesn't play. Don't need any coaches, AD's or assigner's input. No brainer.

This kind of nonsense only happens in girl's games. It's a PITA.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I wanted to be ridiculous I would have said we could let it go as is b/c it is a sign of the grieving process which is a medical condition ergo: legal.
Only MED-Alert bracelets are legal -- and even then, they must be taped so only the emblem shows.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

You kid about this, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I know that officials are not supposed to wear jewelry, except, possibly, a wedding band, but my parole officer won't allow me to take off my ankle bracelet for any reason. Not even for basketball officiating.
I saw this the other day in a men's league I officiated for. The player pulled his socks over the ankle bracelet and half way up his calf. I assume it was a ankle bracelet. It was that or he thought it fashionable to stuff a pack of cigarettes in their. I was too fearful to ask.

Assuming that a HS kid is required to have a monitoring bracelet, and his coach still wants him to play, what options does player A have to play?

Pull a sock over it (obvious bulge)? Take if off (obvious violation of the law)? None? (seems like best option to me)
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 10:56am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by smginnis View Post
I saw this the other day in a men's league I officiated for. The player pulled his socks over the ankle bracelet and half way up his calf. I assume it was a ankle bracelet. It was that or he thought it fashionable to stuff a pack of cigarettes in their. I was too fearful to ask.

Assuming that a HS kid is required to have a monitoring bracelet, and his coach still wants him to play, what options does player A have to play?

Pull a sock over it (obvious bulge)? Take if off (obvious violation of the law)? None? (seems like best option to me)
He can't play with it on, and he can't take it off. One option left.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Intresting situation.

Technically, this is not jewelry....at least I don't think you'd ever find one in a jewelrey store/department unless it was being worn by someone robbing the place.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As Cameron pointed out, a monitoring bracelet is NOT jewelry (it may have a similar name, but it is not, in my opinion, the same for the purpose of this discussion). I would think that this would fall in the area of potentially dangerous equipment. If the game officials do not see a danger in the monitoring device, the player should be allowed to play. If the referee feels the device is dangerous, that player should not be allowed to play.

Last edited by CMHCoachNRef; Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 12:29pm.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The only option imo would be to have a letter from the governing body(league or state) granting an exception to the rules and thus legalizing the wearing of the bracelet. If the onus is on an individual official to make a decision, you'd have to be goofy to allow it imo. Too much possible liability involved and your insurance may not be valid either if you ignore a plainly-written safety rule.

Sometimes the people that say "Oh, it's for a good cause. I'll allow it" forget that there might be other ramifications, such as losing their insurance coverage. Insurance coverage is usually based on full compliance of any applicable rules.

You can't label it as a guard or brace and simply have it padded and covered either. By rule the wearing of hard guards/braces are allowed for medical purposes only.

JMO.
Old Thu Feb 25, 2010, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Well - a case might be made that if they didn't wear their monitoring bracelet - it might affect their health. Especially if they got thrown into a cell with an angry or passionate Bubba.