The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Ankle bracelet

NFHS

As the starters were being introduced, I noticed one of them with a pink ankle bracelet. Stepped over to the coach and asked if he knew about his player wearing the ankle bracelet. He said he did and the player was showing it as a sign of support for her mother who was battling breast cancer. All the other girls on her team had pick shoelaces.
I let it go, would you?
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

As the starters were being introduced, I noticed one of them with a pink ankle bracelet. Stepped over to the coach and asked if he knew about his player wearing the ankle bracelet. He said he did and the player was showing it as a sign of support for her mother who was battling breast cancer. All the other girls on her team had pick shoelaces.
I let it go, would you?
I'll let it go if you can find the FED rule "jewelry is only illegal if it's worn on the ears, neck or wrist."
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:30am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'll let it go if you can find the FED rule "jewelry is only illegal if it's worn on the ears, neck or wrist."
Bob, now I'm a bit confused.

In a previous thread about belly rings, I sad to "ignore it."

You said.

"Disagree. Handle the same way."

(That is, handle the same way once you know about it. Look for earrings and nose or lip piercings, etc; don't look for navel or nipple piercings.)

So, are you going to ignore the ankle jewelry if you know about it, but the bely ring must come out? I would imagine the belly ring is probably more dangeous and could cause more injury. I'm just trying to get a read here so in my mind I can be consistent.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Bob, now I'm a bit confused.

In a previous thread about belly rings, I sad to "ignore it."

You said.

"Disagree. Handle the same way."

(That is, handle the same way once you know about it. Look for earrings and nose or lip piercings, etc; don't look for navel or nipple piercings.)

So, are you going to ignore the ankle jewelry if you know about it, but the bely ring must come out? I would imagine the belly ring is probably more dangeous and could cause more injury. I'm just trying to get a read here so in my mind I can be consistent.
1) An ankle bracelt is covered under the same category as "earrings...". That is, look for it.

2) Whether you look for it or not, once you find it, enforce it.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:36am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
1) An ankle bracelt is covered under the same category as "earrings...". That is, look for it.

2) Whether you look for it or not, once you find it, enforce it.
Thanks!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
NFHS

I let it go, would you?
Great cause...but I'd never allow it without previous explicit direction from a governing body. Religious and medical alert medals/bracelets are specifically covered in the rules. This one isn't.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

sorry guys but

You know, I am going to have to lean the other way here. Unless the governing body specifically says that this team has been warned about this before or something of that nature...I am letting this slide. I have lost too many people to this disease, and I just could not tell her she had to take it off....I understand all the implications if somone hangs a finger etc etc etc....there are just way bigger things in life than those little books that we all refer to.....IMHO
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Convince Him Otherwise ...

I know that officials are not supposed to wear jewelry, except, possibly, a wedding band, but my parole officer won't allow me to take off my ankle bracelet for any reason. Not even for basketball officiating.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
You know, I am going to have to lean the other way here. Unless the governing body specifically says that this team has been warned about this before or something of that nature...I am letting this slide. I have lost too many people to this disease, and I just could not tell her she had to take it off....I understand all the implications if somone hangs a finger etc etc etc....there are just way bigger things in life than those little books that we all refer to.....IMHO
I agree with your entire point....except for letting it slide.

There are things just way more important than the books or the game on the floor...so the player will not be playing with jewelry on. I wouldn't think to say they had to remove it...just that she can't play with it on. If they feel it is more important to wear the jewelry than it is to play, that is their choice.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 08:38pm.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
I might suggest to the player that if the bracelet was under her sock, I probably wouldn't notice it.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

+1.
Just curious if it was metallic or one of the rubbery ones that people wear on their wrists. No reason. Just curios.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I might suggest to the player that if the bracelet was under her sock, I probably wouldn't notice it.
Ding ding...that would be my answer.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

you sure it wasnt a parole monitoring bracelet
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
you sure it wasnt a parole monitoring bracelet
Hey Johnny-come-lately, check post #8.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member