The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

From Badjocks and Dallas morning news

LANCASTER – Brandon Jackson was easy to spot Monday at Lancaster High School's first football practice. He was the one running routes and throwing passes while wearing an ankle monitor so law enforcement officials could keep track of his whereabouts.

Would this have to be taped and padded for play

What a fine upstanding young man/sarcasm/

Hope this question doesnt arise in one of my games
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I don't know about padded as you would require for a cast but I'd definitely want it covered as you would for a knee brace.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:46pm
tpaul

Here is a good idea, how about if the kid is in that much trouble...he doesn't play! I wish coaches would get some balls and sit some guys if they can't follow the rules of life. Somethings are more important then a HS football game, same goes for winning a HS football game.

When I played, nobody was bigger then the team and if you thought so you would be riding the bench!
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
I don't know about padded as you would require for a cast but I'd definitely want it covered as you would for a knee brace.

(Illegal equipment )- 1.5.3.e - Metal which is projecting or other hard substance on clothes or person.

By rule I would carefully look at this. If it isn't covered like a knee brace I would tell the coach to get it covered or the delinquent doesn't play. 1/2 inch closed cell slow recovery rubber, etc.

In my mind I would say the kid is benched the entire season, (but make him do all the practices).
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Glad I'm not an umpire...
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

In this particular case, at least one coach DID have balls. The kid transferred from his original school as coach there would not let him participate. There is no
"governing legal authority" in this typw situation here so the gaining coach chose to ignore the recommendations of the stat coach's association .
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:14am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
In this particular case, at least one coach DID have balls. The kid transferred from his original school as coach there would not let him participate. There is no
"governing legal authority" in this typw situation here so the gaining coach chose to ignore the recommendations of the stat coach's association .
Mike,
that is good to hear! atleast one coach did!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I think the best thing to do is to classify it as jewelry. The player has to remove it before he is allowed to play. "Oh.. can't get it off coach??? ,,,then kid cant play"

Seems like an easy solution, besides it is an "ankle bracelet"
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:15am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I think the best thing to do is to classify it as jewelry. The player has to remove it before he is allowed to play. "Oh.. can't get it off coach??? ,,,then kid cant play"

I like that one Tex!
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by Texoma_LJ

This is the best idea I've heard.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

The coach should contact Martha Stewart.. I'll bet she has some tips on how to remove it for a while.

Seriously, I don't think the athlete should be allowed to participate (on the field) while wearing this device.

Whether or not he should be on the team is another matter in which I have no comment on since I really don't know all the facts in this case.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

This seems to come up at least once every few years in one sport or another.

I think that I would, at the least, want some sort of letter from the state certifying that he could wear it while playing. I have no idea how they hold up to the rigors of football, and I don't want to be the one to find out.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
Mike,
that is good to hear! atleast one coach did!
Is that the ACLU I hear coming from the left?

~
Old Sat Aug 13, 2005, 08:03pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else
James,
where are you from? Where I am from (Trenton, NJ). People wearing such a device is already guitlty....