The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

T for both teams to start game

We had our association meeting last night. Guys from two states attending. The following situation was discussed at length - sometimes heatedly.

At 16:00 min mark of warm-up period - A1 dunks ball. Officials see and administer a T. At 9:00 min mark of warm-up period - Team B1 dunks ball. Officials see and administer a T. Q = how to start the game.

Two camps.

1. Administer the penalties in the order in which the T's occurred. So B shoots 2 free throws, then A shoots 2 free throws and gets ball at division line with the possession arrow now pointing to B. Rationale: T's were at same time so not a double T.

2. Neither team shoots free throws as was a "double" T and go to POI which is a jump ball in this instance. Rationale: since both T's were for pregame dunks - it would constitute a double technical situation.

Where do you stand?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:46am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not sure how you can have a double foul for actions that are not directly against each other. You have to penalize in the order in which they took place and give the ball to the team that was "offended" last.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:48am
Archaic Power Monger

These seem to fit the criteria of a false double foul, which would have both teams shoot their respective shots and the ball is awarded to A for a throw-in to start the game. 4-19-4
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

That was what was actually done. However, one of the officials at the game wasn't sure they had handled it properly said that they had called the NFHS and were told it should have started with a jump ball - which is why we were having the conversation at all. I don't know who they spoke with and am not sure whether it was the NFHS or state.

I feel sure it cannot be any type of double foul and don't understand why they would have received information that goes against what I read in the rules/case books - therefore my OP.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

This should have been a poll.

I vote for 1.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Wouldn't the game start with a jump ball in this situation under NCAA rules?
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
That was what was actually done. However, one of the officials at the game wasn't sure they had handled it properly said that they had called the NFHS and were told it should have started with a jump ball - which is why we were having the conversation at all. I don't know who they spoke with and am not sure whether it was the NFHS or state.

I feel sure it cannot be any type of double foul and don't understand why they would have received information that goes against what I read in the rules/case books - therefore my OP.
Well it technically is a false double foul, but that basically means each action took place before the clock starts. So by rule this would be a false double foul, but then again you do not call one of these, these just happen and the rules have a classification.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I understand what you are saying. I just have a hard time because of the time factor. 7 plus minutes in time differential makes it difficult for me to even see it as a false double foul - but by strict definition it is.

After the situation was stated I was the first to voice and advocate option 1 posted in OP which started an interesting conversation.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Whomever s/he talked to gave the incorrect information. 6.4.1A is an example (although it uses different reasons for the T) of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Wouldn't the game start with a jump ball in this situation under NCAA rules?
Yes, no matter the number of Ts. Any series of single non-flagrant Ts goes to POI -- which is the jump ball in this situation.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, no matter the number of Ts. Any series of single non-flagrant Ts goes to POI -- which is the jump ball in this situation.
Not on the Men's side. Any dead ball contact T is not POI. You enforce that just like a high school T with the ball at the division line after the FTs.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

First T at the 16 min. mark?

The officials were out watching warm-ups at the 16 min. mark?

Around these parts...we don't go out untill the 15 min. mark...and most times a little later.

"15/12/10/2" is our standard.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Methinks the officials in the OP's area need to do some case book reading.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
First T at the 16 min. mark?

The officials were out watching warm-ups at the 16 min. mark?

Around these parts...we don't go out untill the 15 min. mark...and most times a little later.

"15/12/10/2" is our standard.
We are to be on the court 20 minutes prior to tip. They don't allow the clock for warm-ups start, or teams on the court until we are there.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
We are to be on the court 20 minutes prior to tip. They don't allow the clock for warm-ups start, or teams on the court until we are there.
Maybe in your area. They start the clock when the teams hit the court in mine -- we're just expected to be ready to go then.
Old Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Maybe in your area. They start the clock when the teams hit the court in mine -- we're just expected to be ready to go then.
Yeah, it's mostly a local NE WI thing - when we get further west or down to GB they do it when both teams hit court but we are expected to be there as well.