The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Partner Catches Thrown Ball - We had a few laughs

Last night, I am L - two man, HS Boys Church league, post player receives ball, turns towards basket, has no shot, turns back out and throws a perfect chest pass to my partner who catches it...it seemed like time stopped for 10 seconds...everyone looking at him as if what are you going to do now...someone yells "Shoot!"...he reacts after a half second and just drops the ball and says. " Play on."....I had a hard time keeping my whistle in my mouth. Funny moment...At the end of the quarter, we talked about this and we think we should have whistled it dead and went with AP arrow.

I have searched high and low in case book - rules and on this forum to get some insight on this situation but I could not find any similar case situations.

Please advise - proper ruling. Thanks!
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Next time, tell your partner to have his hands ready to catch and shoot!

(I would of done the same thing y'all ended up doing. Drop the ball and play on!)
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Your partner should have taken a few steps then called traveling on himself.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post

Officials are part of the court. Dropping the ball and continuing play was proper.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Last night, I am L - two man, HS Boys Church league, post player receives ball, turns towards basket, has no shot, turns back out and throws a perfect chest pass to my partner who catches it...it seemed like time stopped for 10 seconds...everyone looking at him as if what are you going to do now...someone yells "Shoot!"...he reacts after a half second and just drops the ball and says. " Play on."....I had a hard time keeping my whistle in my mouth. Funny moment...At the end of the quarter, we talked about this and we think we should have whistled it dead and went with AP arrow.

I have searched high and low in case book - rules and on this forum to get some insight on this situation but I could not find any similar case situations.

1. proper procedure is what he did.
2. Blowing it dead and going AP is not an option (by rule). If you blow it dead, give it to the team who had team control.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4-4-4

That is all I can find on ball hitting or touching an official. I thought there may be something a little different if the official actually catches the ball...thanks
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 03:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That is all I can find on ball hitting or touching an official. I thought there may be something a little different if the official actually catches the ball...thanks
Not really any different. So if you blow it dead, you have an accidental whistle and should resume accordingly; ball to the team with team control if there is one (and there was in the OP), or us AP if there's no team control. If, however, the official is standing OOB, then go with that.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Others have pointed out that the official touching the ball is legal.

So: when does the clock start?
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 05:58am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Well, I didn't catch it......

G15U (Fun, Really Non-Competitive) Rec Game last night.

Late in 4th quarter. TWEET! One and One. I'm L and bounce the ball to the shooter and announce very loudly as always "One and One." Up it goes. Clank. No one moves.

B1 rebounds the ball and I'm waiting for something to happen (probable travel). She turns and tosses the ball to/at me. I move to the side. Ball goes out of bounds. TWEET! A's ball. Everyone - hahahahaha! DUH!!!

Later in the quarter. TWEET! One and One. I'm L and bounce the ball to the shooter and announce again "One and One." I even look at B1, the same girl in the bottom block, and say - "Got it?" (this is what's known as a Padgett). She sheepishly grins and says, "Yes." Ball goes up and in. She rebounds the ball, tosses it to me and then starts to run down to the other end......before her coach stops her and sends her back.......Everyone laughed.

A fun game.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
G15U (Fun, Really Non-Competitive) Rec Game last night.

Late in 4th quarter. TWEET! One and One. I'm L and bounce the ball to the shooter and announce very loudly as always "One and One." Up it goes. Clank. No one moves.

B1 rebounds the ball and I'm waiting for something to happen (probable travel). She turns and tosses the ball to/at me. I move to the side. Ball goes out of bounds. TWEET! A's ball. Everyone - hahahahaha! DUH!!!

Later in the quarter. TWEET! One and One. I'm L and bounce the ball to the shooter and announce again "One and One." I even look at B1, the same girl in the bottom block, and say - "Got it?" (this is what's known as a Padgett). She sheepishly grins and says, "Yes." Ball goes up and in. She rebounds the ball, tosses it to me and then starts to run down to the other end......before her coach stops her and sends her back.......Everyone laughed.

A fun game.
Life has to be hard for some people.