The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:25pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. Not saying it was a travel, but in Rule 2.4.1 in officials maunual it says typically an official should call violations in his/her PCA, but any violation observed should be called. The newbie probably was wrong but violation doesn't necessarily have to be in PCA.
You are not wrong about what the rule book says...your mistake would be the same mistake made by the newer official in the OP - looking at the ball handler when he is not in your PCA. There's no reason to do that, and it simply leads to more problems than it fixes.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:28pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
..... violation doesn't necessarily have to be in PCA.
Nothing has to be only in your PCA, but if you make a traveling call across the floor six feet in front of your partner it makes the crew look bad, even if the call is correct. If you make this call and you are wrong, it is totally unacceptable.

Solution: Trust your partner(s) and concentrate on your own area.

If you see an elephant in your partners area, make the call. If you see an insect, leave it alone.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. Not saying it was a travel, but in Rule 2.4.1 in officials maunual it says typically an official should call violations in his/her PCA, but any violation observed should be called. The newbie probably was wrong but violation doesn't necessarily have to be in PCA.
I've been completely wrong on obvious calls right in front of my partners.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you see an elephant in your partners area, make the call.
What if the elephant had LGP?
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What if the elephant had LGP?
Then it's a travel.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 05:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Working 3-person Saturday afternoon. Two good partners. I'm the L tableside near the end of the game. Dribbler runs defender right into a blind screen -- time and distance not an issue as the screener was stationary for a long, long time -- and looking through the back of the screener peripherally, it looked like the defender planted the screener.

But I had two partners looking right at it and, well, I trust them.

In the locker room, both said how the girl embellished the contact and actually smacked her hands on the floor to try to draw a call from both of them.

Now, what if I saw this as an elephant and jumped in -- to "save the day."

There's a reason we don't reach very often and are willing to allow a partner to be wrong rather than jumping in ourselves: Who's to say our view of it is the *right* one?
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 06:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

Now, what if I saw this as an elephant and jumped in -- to "save the day."
Sounds like a really small elephant. The rule only applies to full grown African elephants.*

*Indian elephants are smaller.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
*Indian elephants are smaller.
And their ears aren't shaped like Africa.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Set up a scrimmage/practice game/kiddie game and schedule this official to work.
Get the two coaches on board with the following plan ahead of time. You arrange for a time when the official is ball-watching outside of his PCA and then you have two players in his area start an altercation. Could be as simple as having one kid go to the ground holding his face and yelling. Have a bunch of other people holler, "He punched him! Didn't you see that, ref? It was right next to you."

This individual needs to understand why it is important to watch his primary area. Until a severe off-ball situation happens there, he won't grasp the concept.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Set up a scrimmage/practice game/kiddie game and schedule this official to work.
Get the two coaches on board with the following plan ahead of time. You arrange for a time when the official is ball-watching outside of his PCA and then you have two players in his area start an altercation. Could be as simple as having one kid go to the ground holding his face and yelling. Have a bunch of other people holler, "He punched him! Didn't you see that, ref? It was right next to you."

This individual needs to understand why it is important to watch his primary area. Until a severe off-ball situation happens there, he won't grasp the concept.
I've had two recurring fantasies while watching two ball watchers work a JV game in front of us.

The first fantasy is that I'm the coach of one of the teams and I use the fact that they're ball watchers to get away with everything I possibly could.

The other fantasy is that I'm playing in a rec game with those ball watchers working and use my knowledge to get away with anything *I* want to. I'd probably limit myself to quick pushes in the back on rebounds and just manhandling the post player, though.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 07:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Want My 10% ...

Quote:
Trust your partner and concentrate on your own area. If you see an elephant in your partners area, make the call. If you see an insect, leave it alone.
"If you see an elephant in your partners area, make the call. If you see an insect, leave it alone." © 2010 just another ref
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Mistake number one is the way you addressed the issue IMO. You first asked if he wanted you to give him advice, unless you are in a position to give that kind of advice (President of and organization, clinician, trainer, assignor or evaluator).
Secondly you should not say to anyone "Why did you call.......?" You should ask them, "What did you see?" Then allow them to tell you what they saw, and then give your critique if you find the answer not satisfying. And just because he has been told before or not does not mean that person respects you or wants your advice. Now they might say "yes" to your question because they are being nice, but then you have to on some level accept they may not like what you have to say.

I would not call that arrogant because an official does not agree with you. I have seen officials just disagree on what they should be called and why and that does not mean someone was arrogant. It might mean they simply disagree. Now the answer you told us might not be valid, but that is not your concern. It was one call, there are many times when calls might be made in your area, it is just a matter of how often and situation that might make that proper or justified. And just because someone officiates in another sport does not mean there is an understanding of protocol in another sport they are newer at. Yes officials have a leg up when they have done it before in some other capacity, but the expectations do not always apply the same. If volleyball officials in your area are like the ones around me, they work alone a lot and do not have to deal with other partners for many of their games.

Peace
+1 I've worked with some pretty good officials who NEVER, unsolicited, offer constructive criticism without being asked to.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 10:03pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
"If you see an elephant in your partners area, make the call. If you see an insect, leave it alone." © 2010 just another ref
This is not original. I stole it. I thought it came from here and everybody knew it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 02:35am
Official Forum Member

rep -- one other piece of advice. From this partner, learn this valuable lesson: Don't ever BE this guy. Don't ever be the ref that everyone says, "I can't work with him -- ugh!"
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Just the opposite.....

Last night, 2 x B15U games. Good league. Tough games setting up for end of season playoffs. Emotions are high.

First game, no partner - nice. I do the best I can. Thankfully, pretty easy game to call. No complaints from anyone really.

Game two - no way to do that by myself. Gonna be a rough one. I recruit the adult scoreboard op (not the Eagle, he's on IR) from the first game as he's willing to assist. What a pleasant surprise. While he was really, really rough, only knew some basics, and had trouble with the whistle, he did ok. He asked for pointers. He listened, watched, hustled, got in position, etc. He was better than some "seasoned officials" I've had. Again, few complaints. Overall, a good experience!

Hopefully, he'll pick it up and move forward - we can always use good, new officials.