The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Earring question

Hey all --

New official here -- and I've had people tell me different things. 6 minutes left in a game. You discover that player on the home team has (a) an earring that can come out; (b) a belly button ring (girl was tucking in her shirt and official saw it).

What do you do? Tell her to take it out? Does she have to sit/be subbed for? Technical foul?

Thanks!!
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Earring - TWEET! "Coach, I need another player, this one is not ready to play" and send them off. I've done it several times for earrings, necklaces, etc. (It should be caught during warm-ups though).

Bellyring. Ignore.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Tell Anyone, Even Your Partner, That You Did See It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Bellyring. Ignore.
You never saw it. I repeat. You never saw it.

I guess that you can tell your wife. She can't be compelled to testify against you in court? Right? But then you would have to explain to her why you were looking there to begin with. Forget it. Don't tell your wife. Again, you never saw it, and if you did see it, don't ever tell anyone that you saw it. If you tell anyone, we'll have to kill you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 01:51pm.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Be sure to tell your wife if you saw a player with nipple rings.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Earring - TWEET! "Coach, I need another player, this one is not ready to play" and send them off. I've done it several times for earrings, necklaces, etc. (It should be caught during warm-ups though).
Agree.

Quote:
Bellyring. Ignore.
Disagree. Handle the same way.

(That is, handle the same way once you know about it. Look for earrings and nose or lip piercings, etc; don't look for navel or nipple piercings.)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 02:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Look For Nipple Rings ??? No Way José ...

Quote:
Bellyring. Ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Disagree.
By rule, and by purpose and intent of rule, i.e. player safety, bob jenkins is correct. He's also correct in stating: "Look for earrings and nose or lip piercings, etc; don't look for navel or nipple piercings."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
By rule, and by purpose and intent of rule, i.e. player safety, bob jenkins is correct. He's also correct in stating: "Look for earrings and nose or lip piercings, etc; don't look for navel or nipple piercings."
So what you're saying is that a strip search is beyond the bounds of authority of the game officials. Correct?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
So what you're saying is that a strip search is beyond the bounds of authority of the game officials. Correct?
Not if you think a female coach is wearing a belly button ring.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:26am
Keeper of the HAMMER

And don't listen to Mommy when she comes down and tells you Suzie can't take the earrings out because they were just pierced.

And don't let them try to cover it with tape.

And for God's sake, don't call a technical foul (this happened in a FG game here this year).
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:56am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And don't listen to Mommy when she comes down and tells you Suzie can't take the earrings out because they were just pierced.

And don't let them try to cover it with tape.

And for God's sake, don't call a technical foul (this happened in a FG game here this year).
Just a reminder on the proper semantics. Your approach should be to not allow participation because of wearing jewelry, not dictating that the jewelry must be removed. Pay close attention to the difference.

Earrings under tape can just as easily result in shredded earlobe and extensive corrective plastic surgery.

Forgot the clever adlib that was suggested in response to the classic complaint "The last set of refs said it was okay". Can someone recall?
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

1. I'm not particularly concerned about the semantics here. If I forget to say she can keep them in if she doesn't play, oh well.
2. Agreed.
3. "I think the last set of refs jumped off a bridge after the game."