The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

New one for me...

BJV last night. Start of the 2Q, I'm lead. Both huddles are slow coming out on the second horn. Trail administers throwin to V, and we go. About 10 seconds in C, tableside, blows the whistle. He waves me over, and says a player got up from the bench and ran onto the floor, passing him as he ran in. T says he counted 5 before handing the ball for the throw in, and C and myself both said we also counted 5. We assess the technical and I go to the V bench to explain. I tell him that we had V11 entering, during play and without being beckoned. He tells me that 11 had been on the floor when the ball was inbounded, got counfused about if he was supposed to be in the game, and sat down. According to the coach, since he had been on the floor legally at the throw in, that gave him the right to come back in as he did. I told him that in that case, his player had left the floor iliegally and the technical was still correct. His response? "Well, it worked last Tuesday."

It was an interesting situation for us, and the coach's response was very interesting...
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:41pm
We don't rent pigs

Leaving the floor for an authorized reason is a violation, not a technical.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Leaving the floor for an authorized reason is a violation, not a technical.
We discussed it at half and that came up, but since the player then returned to the floor after sitting down on the bench, we still get we were correct, even if we may have fumbled the explanation.

How would you,oh wise ones, haave handled the situation?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohls View Post
We discussed it at half and that came up, but since the player then returned to the floor after sitting down on the bench, we still get we were correct, even if we may have fumbled the explanation.

whats up with the retarded *** attitude. you got an answer as to how and what you should have done.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

No one saw player leave floor for unauthorized reason --can't call violation; I would go with team tech for not returning at approximately same time following intermission.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:36am
Keeper of the HAMMER

This T should be ignored if there's no advantage gained by the player coming onto the court. IOW, if it's not deceitful or advantageous, ignore it.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree it should be ignored if not deceitful; once whistle is blown, though, can you just 'wave it off' or does it now need to be addressed?
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drshawnpet View Post
I agree it should be ignored if not deceitful; once whistle is blown, though, can you just 'wave it off' or does it now need to be addressed?
Just go IW and put it back in play. I remember a case play or interp that deals with this and explicitly says to not call the T here.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:23am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Just go IW and put it back in play. I remember a case play or interp that deals with this and explicitly says to not call the T here.
Oh?

SITUATION 12: Following a (a) charged time-out; or (b) a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both teams, A5 goes to the bench and remains there mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced by a substitute. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return, and he/she sprints onto the court and catches up with play. RULING: In (a), the officials shall stop play and assess a team technical foul for not having all players return to the court at approximately the same time after a time-out. The technical foul counts toward the team-foul count. In (b), the officials may permit play to continue without penalty. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court. COMMENT: Even though neither situation provided A5 or Team A with an advantage, teams are expected to return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out. The officials should have also followed the prescribed mechanics and counted the number of players on the court, ensuring each team has the legal number of players. (10-1-9; 10-3-3)

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Oh?

SITUATION 12: Following a (a) charged time-out; or (b) a lengthy substitution process involving multiple substitutions for both teams, A5 goes to the bench and remains there mistakenly believing he/she has been replaced by a substitute. The ball is put in play even though Team A has only four players on the court. Team A is bringing the ball into A's frontcourt when the coach of Team A realizes they have only four players. The coach yells for A5 to return, and he/she sprints onto the court and catches up with play. RULING: In (a), the officials shall stop play and assess a team technical foul for not having all players return to the court at approximately the same time after a time-out. The technical foul counts toward the team-foul count. In (b), the officials may permit play to continue without penalty. A5's return to the court was not deceitful, nor did it provide A5 an unfair positioning advantage on the court. COMMENT: Even though neither situation provided A5 or Team A with an advantage, teams are expected to return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out. The officials should have also followed the prescribed mechanics and counted the number of players on the court, ensuring each team has the legal number of players. (10-1-9; 10-3-3)
Interesting. I guess I was conflating the two situations.

Quote:
BJV last night. Start of the 2Q, I'm lead. Both huddles are slow coming out on the second horn. Trail administers throwin to V, and we go. About 10 seconds in C, tableside, blows the whistle. He waves me over, and says a player got up from the bench and ran onto the floor, passing him as he ran in. T says he counted 5 before handing the ball for the throw in, and C and myself both said we also counted 5. We assess the technical and I go to the V bench to explain. I tell him that we had V11 entering, during play and without being beckoned. He tells me that 11 had been on the floor when the ball was inbounded, got counfused about if he was supposed to be in the game, and sat down. According to the coach, since he had been on the floor legally at the throw in, that gave him the right to come back in as he did. I told him that in that case, his player had left the floor iliegally and the technical was still correct. His response? "Well, it worked last Tuesday."

It was an interesting situation for us, and the coach's response was very interesting...
Quote:

So, tell me, to whom did you charge the Technical foul?

Last edited by Adam; Sun Feb 21, 2010 at 11:31am.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
So, tell me, to whom did you charge the Technical foul?
Rasheed Wallace.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

According to the OP, the player did return to the court for the start of the 2nd qtr;

1. Team V had five players to start qtr. Therefore Sit 12 A does not apply.

2. V11 leaves court - violation? (not called)

3. V11 then comes back on to the court; is this a T for not being beckoned? I think Sit 12 B applies - A5 is supposed to be on the court, and A5's return is not deceitful - therefore play on or IW.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Answer A Question With A Question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
V11 then comes back on to the court; is this a T for not being beckoned?
Is he a substitute or a player?

A substitute shall not enter the court without reporting to the scorer; and without being beckoned by an official, except between periods.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

BillyMac

I agree - Sub or player? Sit 12 B - seems to indicate the 5th is a player and therefore can come onto the court.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

And sorry to offend, deecee. I didn't intend to convey a "retarded *** attitude." I read the board often and respect the views of the experienced officials who post. Therefore, I asked how they might have handled the situation.