The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2001, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

During a Jr Hi rec game, encountered this situation. A1 shooting 2nd of two. A2 is occupying lane space at top by free throw line. Once shot released, A2 turns and heads back to her backcourt. I called a lane violation because of leaving her space before shot hit iron, basket disallowed. Coach (high school official & some college) says this wasn't a violation because she didn't break the vertical plane of the lane boundary. I stuck with my call and said I would check the rules book. Rule 9-1-9, pg 52. If I read this correctly, I think I'm right. If not, help me out.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2001, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Correct. She can't leave the space until the ball hits the rim.

Having said that, I probably would have ignored it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Feb 18, 2001, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore it?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Correct. She can't leave the space until the ball hits the rim.

Having said that, I probably would have ignored it.
A small transgression into the lane I can see ignoring, but this?

What if B1 took off and ran up-court to an easy basket? I think the violation would be called then. It's not right for the offense to get back on defense as quickly, either.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

You gotta call the violation. Team A may not have a player back to defend against a quick "snow bird" based upon the way team B was lined up for the free throws. A definite advantage could be gained by this move.

As far as not breaking the plane....
Suppose A2 is in the 2nd spot next to B1 for the free throw, and then spins behind B1 upon release to try and gain inside position for the rebound. Even though he/she didn't brake the plane of the lane, you gonna let this go??
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
What if B1 took off and ran up-court to an easy basket? I think the violation would be called then.
Not if A1 made the basket. She could take off as soon as A1 receives the ball and there isn't a thing you could do about it.

Like I said, if she doesn't move until the ball is in the air, I'm probably not going to call it.

Quote:
Originally posted by mlancast
You gotta call the violation. Team A may not have a player back to defend against a quick "snow bird" based upon the way team B was lined up for the free throws. A definite advantage could be gained by this move.
I said I'm probably not going to call it. I didn't say that I would never call it. A similiar post was on the McGriff board. This was my reply.

I would call this violation under the following circumstances:

1- She left the space before the shot was in flight.
2- B1 was in her FC by herself and A2, realizing she was alone, left to guard her.

Very, very rarely do I ever call a lane violation on a made basket unless it is on the shooter.

Quote:
As far as not breaking the plane....
Suppose A2 is in the 2nd spot next to B1 for the free throw, and then spins behind B1 upon release to try and gain inside position for the rebound. Even though he/she didn't brake the plane of the lane, you gonna let this go??
I never said I would ignore the intial violation because the player didn't violate the plane. Whether she broke the plane or not didn't have anything to do with my decision. Calling unnecessary FT violations is nothing more than a game interrupter.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Feb 19, 2001, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I'll buy that.