The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw Violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57239-free-throw-violation.html)

jonkoby Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:15am

Free Throw Violation?

I play in a recreation league that follows the NCAA Basketball rules and regulatons. In a free throw situation I had a teammate shooting. I was behind the three point line and free throw extended. As soon as the shooter released the ball I ran in the lane and got the rebound for a putback and score. The refs blew the whistle but after debate between themselves they did not call any violation. However an opposing player threw a huge fit saying that players beyond the arc have to wait on the ball to hit the rim before entering the lane. I believe that in NCAA every player but the shooter has rebounding rights after the release. Am I wrong??

eyezen Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonkoby (Post 663237)
I play in a recreation league that follows the NCAA Basketball rules and regulatons. In a free throw situation I had a teammate shooting. I was behind the three point line and free throw extended. As soon as the shooter released the ball I ran in the lane and got the rebound for a putback and score. The refs blew the whistle but after debate between themselves they did not call any violation. However an opposing player threw a huge fit saying that players beyond the arc have to wait on the ball to hit the rim before entering the lane. I believe that in NCAA every player but the shooter has rebounding rights after the release. Am I wrong??

Yes

BillyMac Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03pm

Can't Speak For NCAA But ...

... here's the NFHS rule:

The shooter and all the players in the designated lane spaces must wait until the ball hits rim or backboard before entering the lane. Players, other than the shooter, and the players in the designated lane spaces, are to remain behind the free throw line extended and behind the three point arc, and may not penetrate the free throw line extended and the three point arc until the ball hits rim or backboard.

Adam Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57pm

Even when the high school rules allowed the players along the lane to enter on the release, the players outside the lane had to wait. Basically, the restrictions on the players not on the lane end when they end on the shooter. When the ball hits the rim or backboard.

Lotto Sat Feb 20, 2010 05:32pm

Here's the NCAA rule

Rule 9-1, Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the free- throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.

Adam Sat Feb 20, 2010 07:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lotto (Post 663327)
Rule 9-1, Art. 2. After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free-thrower:
g. Players not in a legal marked lane space shall remain behind the free- throw line extended and behind the three-point field-goal line until the ball strikes the ring, flange or backboard, or until the free throw ends.

Well, there you go. The OP and the refs were wrong, the opponents were correct.

refiator Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:37pm

Pretty simple. Players not along the the lane line share the same restrictions as the FT shooter.