The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

1st time ever

Made a call last night...

Loose ball A1 and B1 going for it. A1 falls flat on face and does not move. B1 gets the ball and steps over A1 to start dribble and trips taking ball to floor.

I call a travel - crowd and coach go nuts - which I knew they would when making the call... but I am positive that I got it right.

Thoughts please
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:10am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
C'mon, what does the crowd know?

If it's as you described, sounds good to me.

Had an interesting travel last night in the Wisconsin vs Minnesota game too - Tubby was not pleased....his player kind of got low bridged on a rebound and lost his footing. No foul - travel. Not a happy camper.

I find these plays are ones that get the crowd in a frenzy often.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:15am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Made a call last night...

Loose ball A1 and B1 going for it. A1 falls flat on face and does not move. B1 gets the ball and steps over A1 to start dribble and trips taking ball to floor.

I call a travel - crowd and coach go nuts - which I knew they would when making the call... but I am positive that I got it right.

Thoughts please
My preference is that this be a foul on the defense for not attaining legal guarding position. But alas, as has been settled on this board just a couple of weeks ago, your travel call is correct since, as it has been pointed out, "Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court, provided the player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent" (4-37-3).
Kinda like when a player ends his dribble, lifts his pivot foot, and stands there like a flamingo before shooting, passing, or calling a timeout. Not a travel, but the entire gym will think so, yet you'll be correct. And you'll feel good about it!
Good call!
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
If it's as you described, sounds good to me.

Had an interesting travel last night in the Wisconsin vs Minnesota game too - Tubby was not pleased....his player kind of got low bridged on a rebound and lost his footing. No foul - travel. Not a happy camper.

I find these plays are ones that get the crowd in a frenzy often.
I was there, looked like the right call by Higgins.

And OP sounds like the right call also.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:22am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
I was there, looked like the right call by Higgins.
Agree. It was another awkward play as described here. Defender was legally on the court and the offensive rebounder lost his balance due to their positioning......
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

First I assume he tripped over the down player. Ie. Actually contact, not just the player tripping over this own 2 feet trying to make a fancy hop over the downed player.

If it is as a result of contact I'm gonna have to go with the foul. Tough break for the kid who tried to make the hustle play though.

I can't really argue he's established a cylinder from the souls of his feet to the ceiling that extends 6 feet horizontally across the floor. He is entitled to a spot but if he was standing and his feet were set but he was bent at the waist outside his cylinder to make contact with a shoulder or sticking his arms out and clotheslining people it would be a foul. He's way outside any sorted granted space here.

Tough call to make and everyone hates your guts but I'm going with a foul.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
First I assume he tripped over the down player. Ie. Actually contact, not just the player tripping over this own 2 feet trying to make a fancy hop over the downed player.

If it is as a result of contact I'm gonna have to go with the foul. Tough break for the kid who tried to make the hustle play though.

I can't really argue he's established a cylinder from the souls of his feet to the ceiling that extends 6 feet horizontally across the floor. He is entitled to a spot but if he was standing and his feet were set but he was bent at the waist outside his cylinder to make contact with a shoulder or sticking his arms out and clotheslining people it would be a foul. He's way outside any sorted granted space here.

Tough call to make and everyone hates your guts but I'm going with a foul.
If the player is not moving (and even if he is in certain directions) you cannot penalize a player for being on the ground in NFHS.

Verticality (or a 'cylinder') has nothing to do with it.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

i'm calling a foul...
1) the contact by the defensive player (who does not have LGP) is what caused the ball handler to fall - that is a foul.
2) the contact interrupted the RSBQ (rhthym, speed, balance, quickness) of the ball handler - that is a foul.
3) after establishing LGP, the defensive player did not move to maintain his LGP - that is a foul.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
If the player is not moving (and even if he is in certain directions) you cannot penalize a player for being on the ground in NFHS.

Verticality (or a 'cylinder') has nothing to do with it.
Interesting . .. can't speak for the NFHS we play FIBA. By our rule your initial legal guarding position requires both feet to a planted on the floor. Ten any contact created out side your space until you restablish a new LGP is your foul.

SO for us kid on the floor is not holding a legal guarding position and is responsible for the contact since the offense is entitled to legally take the space he's being tripped in.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
i'm calling a foul...
1) the contact by the defensive player (who does not have LGP) is what caused the ball handler to fall - that is a foul.
2) the contact interrupted the RSBQ (rhthym, speed, balance, quickness) of the ball handler - that is a foul.
3) after establishing LGP, the defensive player did not move to maintain his LGP - that is a foul.
1. Contact that causes a player to fall is not always a foul.
2. See one.
3. A stationary player does not need LGP.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting . .. can't speak for the NFHS we play FIBA. By our rule your initial legal guarding position requires both feet to a planted on the floor. Ten any contact created out side your space until you restablish a new LGP is your foul.

SO for us kid on the floor is not holding a legal guarding position and is responsible for the contact since the offense is entitled to legally take the space he's being tripped in.
Didn't think about FIBA rules. I obviously have no idea what your rules say.

The NCAA has a clear case play that makes this contact a foul. That is not the case in NFHS, however.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Interesting . .. can't speak for the NFHS we play FIBA.
Then why are you? If you're answering questions using FIBA rules, you should say so in your answer. That cuts out the confusion a la posting an incorrect answer for FED rulings like you did above.

The play being discussed is not and never has been a foul under NFHS rules. NCAA rules are different.

Player on Floor Legal Guarding Position

That's just the latest thread. There are numerous other ones on this play, all containing the exact same rules citations. This seems to come up almost monthly..and it ends up being answered the exact same way monthly also.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
i'm calling a foul...
LGP has nothing to do with this. Assuming the player on the ground was not moving, s/he is entitled to the spot under FED rules. There's a specific case play or interp on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Then why are you? If you're answering questions using FIBA rules, you should say so in your answer. That cuts out the confusion a la posting an incorrect answer for FED rulings like you did above.
In fairness to Pantherdreams, the OP didn't specify a rules set (although the OP is from MI). I agree it would be helpful if all questions / answers specidifed the set; and I agree the Forum usually defaults to FED, then NCAA, then FIBA, then NBA, if not specified.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
3. A stationary player does not need LGP.
[/I]

I disagree with this statement. What if a stationary player has one foot on the OOB line and there is contact?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
[/I]

I disagree with this statement. What if a stationary player has one foot on the OOB line and there is contact?
Well, in my opinion a stationary player may contact the OOB line and still not be responsible for contact. Others will disagree with that.

It's important to understand when LGP is needed (when a defensive player is moving when contact is made) and when it's not needed (a stationary player).

Think about this...a player is facing away from the ball handler, defending another player. He is standing still. The dribbler runs over him from behind. What do you have?