The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule Question

Looking for some input on this situation, just happened in the Kansas State - Nebraska game. KSU defender gets called for a block. I thought it was the right call. The announcer disagreed, but then said that maybe the block was called because the KSU defender was under basket and that the new NCAA rule is that you cannot draw a PC foul under the basket (I assume he is talking about something similar to the NBA dashed line). I don't know NCAA rules but I don't think he was right. I just think the official called a block because the defender had LGP, court position is irrelevant. Is this a new NCAA rule this year?
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao View Post
Looking for some input on this situation, just happened in the Kansas State - Nebraska game. KSU defender gets called for a block. I thought it was the right call. The announcer disagreed, but then said that maybe the block was called because the KSU defender was under basket and that the new NCAA rule is that you cannot draw a PC foul under the basket (I assume he is talking about something similar to the NBA dashed line). I don't know NCAA rules but I don't think he was right. I just think the official called a block because the defender had LGP, court position is irrelevant. Is this a new NCAA rule this year?
If defender had LPG, it would be a charge... Did you type this wrong?

Not sure about NCAA's ruling either, but you confused me on the highlighted statement.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't see the game, but yes, the NCAA instituted a new rule this year:

Secondary Defender Under Basket. 4-35.7.

A secondary defender may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket when playing a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender who has been beaten by an opponent because he failed to establish or maintain a guarding position.

“Under the basket” is defined as from the front and side of the ring to the front of the backboard. A player is considered under the basket when any part of either foot is in this area. (Note: An approved ruling will indicate that a player straddling this area is considered to be under the basket.)

In establishing position in any outnumbering fast break situation, a player may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket since there is no primary defender. When illegal contact occurs, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is intentional or flagrant.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
If defender had LPG, it would be a charge... Did you type this wrong?

Not sure about NCAA's ruling either, but you confused me on the highlighted statement.
Sorry, my mistake. Defender did NOT have LGP. Bottom line, in my opinion it was a clear block.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Didn't see the game, but yes, the NCAA instituted a new rule this year:

Secondary Defender Under Basket. 4-35.7.

A secondary defender may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket when playing a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender who has been beaten by an opponent because he failed to establish or maintain a guarding position.

“Under the basket” is defined as from the front and side of the ring to the front of the backboard. A player is considered under the basket when any part of either foot is in this area. (Note: An approved ruling will indicate that a player straddling this area is considered to be under the basket.)

In establishing position in any outnumbering fast break situation, a player may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket since there is no primary defender. When illegal contact occurs, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is intentional or flagrant.
WC, thanks a lot. I still he think he may have called it a block anyway, but, he may have applied your final paragraph above since it was a 3 on 1 fastbreak and it appeared that, if he thought LGP was established, it was done so under the basket. Thanks for the clarification and it was nice that the announcer knew this rule.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Almost...

Well, the announcer didn't get the rule exactly right. According to your OP, he said that a defender can't draw a PC foul while under the basket.

The rules is that a SECONDARY defender can't draw a PC foul while under the basket. A primary defender can, but as mentioned above, he can't position himself directly under the basket and establish himself as a primary defender on a fastbreak situation.