Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rule Question

Morning!

Scenario:

A1 drives to the basket and attempts a shot. While the ball is in the air B2 pushes A2 out of bounds and a foul is called on B2. A1's try goes in the basket.

I know the NFHS rule is to score A1's basket and give the ball to Team A for a throw in closest to the foul.

1. What is the NCAA Men's ruling?

2. What rules if any give A2 1 shot (instead of getting the ball at the throw in)?

Thanks,
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Official
Morning!

Scenario:

A1 drives to the basket and attempts a shot. While the ball is in the air B2 pushes A2 out of bounds and a foul is called on B2. A1's try goes in the basket.

I know the NFHS rule is to score A1's basket and give the ball to Team A for a throw in closest to the foul.

Same

Quote:
2. What rules if any give A2 1 shot (instead of getting the ball at the throw in)?

Thanks,
I seem to recall the NBA has a rule similar to this.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I seem to recall the NBA has a rule similar to this.
You seem to remember correctly (Rule 12, B, Section I, Penalties, (3)).

It should be noted that when in the bonus, two FT are awarded to A2 (at least in FIBA, but I guess it's the same in Fed and NCAA).

Ciao
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 08:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
You seem to remember correctly (Rule 12, B, Section I, Penalties, (3)).

It should be noted that when in the bonus, two FT are awarded to A2 (at least in FIBA, but I guess it's the same in Fed and NCAA).

Ciao
Close, it could be a one-and-one if it is foul number 7, 8, or 9 of the half.
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Close, it could be a one-and-one if it is foul number 7, 8, or 9 of the half.
Oh, yeah, the good ol' one-and-one! FIBA dropped it many years ago, and we don't miss it.

Ciao
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Morning!

Scenario:

Thanks,
The ruling is the same as NFHS. Score the basket, Team A throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. One note: if the ball has already passed through the net the ball is dead and the infraction would be an intentional technical foul (2 free throws for any Team A player and ball at the division line).
Old Fri Jun 13, 2008, 12:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
The ruling is the same as NFHS. Score the basket, Team A throw-in nearest to where the foul occurred. One note: if the ball has already passed through the net the ball is dead and the infraction would be an intentional technical foul (2 free throws for any Team A player and ball at the division line).
It would most likely be ignored.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
It would most likely be ignored.
Some times you can't ignore it if the play is maliscious.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
Some times you can't ignore it if the play is maliscious.
True. But in Snaqies defense, how often is it malicious? Thus, in my experience, it will mostly likely be ignored.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Had it happen in one of my games this year. 2 guys get tangled on a rebound, A1 swings his elbows and hits B1 in the head. By rule this foul must be technical (either flagrant or intentional)........ Since the blow didn't hit B1 flush, I went with the intentional T (even though I messed up and put the ball back in at the point of interruption instead of the division line).

I feel good about the call after reviewing it on tape and after getting backed up by the commissioner. It certainly was a weird play to have happen especially since it was like the first or second possession of the game and my first whistle.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:21pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tio
Had it happen in one of my games this year. 2 guys get tangled on a rebound, A1 swings his elbows and hits B1 in the head. By rule this foul must be technical (either flagrant or intentional)........ Since the blow didn't hit B1 flush, I went with the intentional T (even though I messed up and put the ball back in at the point of interruption instead of the division line).
This is not a technical foul. It is either a regular player control foul, intentional foul, or flagrant foul. The player who is fouled should shoot if it is called an intentional or flagrant and the ball goes to POI.

Remember -- technical fouls are for non-contact fouls (unsportsmanlike conduct, etc) or intentional/flagrant contact during dead balls. Contact during live balls -- other than a fight -- are common fouls, not technical fouls.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
This is not a technical foul. It is either a regular player control foul, intentional foul, or flagrant foul. The player who is fouled should shoot if it is called an intentional or flagrant and the ball goes to POI.

Remember -- technical fouls are for non-contact fouls (unsportsmanlike conduct, etc) or intentional/flagrant contact during dead balls. Contact during live balls -- other than a fight -- are common fouls, not technical fouls.
I believe that Tio is referring to the scenario where the contact occurred after the ball had gone in and is dead, Brad.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:39pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I believe that Tio is referring to the scenario where the contact occurred after the ball had gone in and is dead, Brad.
Not sure... he said, "2 guys get tangled on a rebound".

But, yeah, if the ball has gone in then obviously it's a dead ball, thus a technical.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks,
NBA rules would provide for one shot here....
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

Brad, isn't the ball is dead once any goal is scored?