View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
Didn't see the game, but yes, the NCAA instituted a new rule this year:

Secondary Defender Under Basket. 4-35.7.

A secondary defender may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket when playing a player who is in control of the ball (i.e., dribbling or shooting) or who has released the ball for a pass or try for goal. A secondary defender is a teammate who has helped a primary defender who has been beaten by an opponent because he failed to establish or maintain a guarding position.

“Under the basket” is defined as from the front and side of the ring to the front of the backboard. A player is considered under the basket when any part of either foot is in this area. (Note: An approved ruling will indicate that a player straddling this area is considered to be under the basket.)

In establishing position in any outnumbering fast break situation, a player may not establish initial legal guarding position under the basket since there is no primary defender. When illegal contact occurs, such contact shall be called a blocking foul, unless the contact is intentional or flagrant.
WC, thanks a lot. I still he think he may have called it a block anyway, but, he may have applied your final paragraph above since it was a 3 on 1 fastbreak and it appeared that, if he thought LGP was established, it was done so under the basket. Thanks for the clarification and it was nice that the announcer knew this rule.