The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

A try for goal is released and is bouncing above the rim when player A2 grabs the ring causing the backboard to vibrate. A2 is assessed a technical foul for his action, how does play resume after the free throws?

AD
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 11:44am
Esteemed Participant

Go to the arrow...the POI was the shot bouncing around, so no one had control, so your only choice is to go to the possession arrow and give the team entitled a throw-in on the baseline under the basket where the T took place...
Old Tue Nov 18, 2003, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Basket interference. A2 grabbed the ring, caused the backboard to vibrate, interference. T for the ring hang, and basket interference. Team B gets the ball. Count the basket if it's a Team B shot.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 03:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Basket interference. A2 grabbed the ring, caused the backboard to vibrate, interference. T for the ring hang, and basket interference. Team B gets the ball. Count the basket if it's a Team B shot.
Bobby, AD said that the ball was bouncing above the ring when A2 grabbed the rim. That means that the grabbing of the rim by A2 by itself doesn't meet the definition of BI, either in NCAA or NFHS rulesets.Rocky has the correct answer for NCAA ball.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 08:40am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Go to the arrow...the POI was the shot bouncing around, so no one had control, so your only choice is to go to the possession arrow and give the team entitled a throw-in on the baseline under the basket where the T took place...
I agree there is no POI. Since there is no POI, why would you take the ball out under the basket? I think the ball should be taken out at the division line. Can you tell me if I'm wrong? I don't have my rule book with me right now. Something similar happened to me in camp and the ball should have been taken out at the division line. There is no POI similar to returning after halftime and you are using the AP procedure. This is why I think it should be at the division line.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
I agree there is no POI.
Tommy, the game has been interrupted, so there must be a point of interruption. Rocky didn't say that there was no POI; he said that there was no team control at the POI. Big difference.

Quote:
Since there is no POI, why would you take the ball out under the basket?

Because you put the ball in play at the point nearest to where it was when the whistle blew.

Quote:
I think the ball should be taken out at the division line. Can you tell me if I'm wrong?
Ok, you're wrong. Why would you put the ball back in play at the division line. The only reason to do that is if an infraction occurs at the division line, or if you assess a technical foul (HS) or flagrant or intentional technical foul (NCAA, men). Neither of those things happened. So put the ball back into play at the point nearest to where it was when the whistle blew; viz., the endline.

Quote:
There is no POI similar to returning after halftime and you are using the AP procedure. This is why I think it should be at the division line.
I don't mean to be rude, but I honestly don't know what you're trying to say here.

Bottom line, ball back in play along the endline, using the AP procedure.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Nov 19th, 2003 at 08:14 AM]
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I agree there is no POI. Since there is no POI, why would you take the ball out under the basket? I think the ball should be taken out at the division line. Can you tell me if I'm wrong? I don't have my rule book with me right now. Something similar happened to me in camp and the ball should have been taken out at the division line. There is no POI similar to returning after halftime and you are using the AP procedure. This is why I think it should be at the division line.
The ball is put in play at the spot closest to where it was when the ball became dead. See 7-5.9 AR 13 for a similar play.

In NCAAW, all throw-ins, except to start the 2nd half (I think) are from the spot closest to the infraction / POI. For NCAAM, intentional and flagrant Ts result in a throw-in at the division line.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 09:21am
Huck Finn

Thanks for the rule reference. Chuck, I don't think your comment was rude. I think we are what some would consider rude as a group. It's just about getting the plays right. I will look it over. Does anyone know the site with the rulebook on it?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the rule reference. Chuck, I don't think your comment was rude. I think we are what some would consider rude as a group. It's just about getting the plays right. I will look it over. Does anyone know the site with the rulebook on it?
http://www.ncaa.org is a good start.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:27am
Huck Finn

I found it. I was wrong. Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your responses. I guessed and got it right. We as a crew discussed it and went with the AP procedure. It was the only thing that seemed right.

Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

In the original case, say the ball goes in. Is the basket awarded?
Old Wed Nov 19, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
In the original case, say the ball goes in. Is the basket awarded?
Assuming there wasn't BI (A2 lets go of the ring before the ball comes down), then the basket counts.

It's no different from any other foul while a try is in the air.

Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

And on the T for the ring hang, it's not 2 shots and the ball, so arrow it seems. As far as I've heard, a T is one or two shots and the ball.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 03:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
As far as I've heard, a T is one or two shots and the ball.
In NFHS and NCAA rulesets, T's are 2 shots.I don't know of a case where you could have a 1-shot T.