The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:58pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
I had a count

BJV game tonight, 3.5 seconds left in overtime and home is ahead by 5. V has the ball after successful free throws by H1. Ball is inbounded, I start my count (as always) and notice the clock isn't running. It starts when my count hits about 2.

What's your call? I'll tell you what I did later. I was T.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:04am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
By rule, you blow the whistle when your count reaches 4 and say game over.

In reality, I probably let the buzzer sound and am glad the lead was 5.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:04am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 1,277
Blow my whistle- reset the clock to 1.5 and bring ball back in from where it was.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Blow my whistle- reset the clock to 1.5 and bring ball back in from where it was.
i would never do that in a real game. I emphasize to play the whistle and remind my partners that I will have a count. what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).

Id rather play it out blow my whistle and then explain what will have to be explained to the coaches what happened than take away time and a potential good opportunity (3.5 secs versus 1.5) for the offense.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:51am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
....home is ahead by 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).
That would be a great shot.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 04:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
i would never do that in a real game. I emphasize to play the whistle and remind my partners that I will have a count. what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).

Id rather play it out blow my whistle and then explain what will have to be explained to the coaches what happened than take away time and a potential good opportunity (3.5 secs versus 1.5) for the offense.
Bad idea. What explanation are you going to give when the team glances at the clock to see how much time is left, sees 2.3 seconds, exercises patience by getting one more pass in for a great shot instead of a hurried shot only to have you blow the whistle and declare the game over. If they are about to score, of course, wait and let the shot occur then fix the clock (it's probably running out anyway).
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:13am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
By rule, you blow the whistle when your count reaches 4 and say game over.

In reality, I probably let the buzzer sound and am glad the lead was 5.
I blew the whistle when I got to four. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just let it run out and be glad the lead was 5.

If the lead wasn't 5, I would have done what Camron suggests.

My wife happened to be sitting in the stands amongst the visitors and got to hear all their comments after I did it.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
BJV game tonight, 3.5 seconds left in overtime and home is ahead by 5. V has the ball after successful free throws by H1. Ball is inbounded, I start my count (as always) and notice the clock isn't running. It starts when my count hits about 2.

What's your call? I'll tell you what I did later. I was T.
Yell "I've got the clock" and count down out loud until zero and then blow the whistle.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 164
How many of you guys actually talk to the person running the clock before the game? How about during any TOs? Maybe during the final TO of a close game?
__________________
Paul LeBoutillier
Ontario, Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 10:44am
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier View Post
How many of you guys actually talk to the person running the clock before the game? How about during any TOs? Maybe during the final TO of a close game?
I'll talk to the table crew to get a general feel of experience. To the person running the clock my questions are:

"Have you done this before?
Any questions as to when to start/stop the clock?
Will team fouls be kept track of on the scoreboard?
Will the scoreboard count down :30 and :60 timeouts? If not (this is usually at the middle school level), give us a warning horn with 15 seconds left."

For the official scorer I'll remind:

"Give us a warning at 6/9 team fouls so we know the next foul we'll be shooting free throws (this is especially true if the team foul count is not being kept track of on the scoreboard).
Tell us when a team has used their last timeout (as a caveat, I do like it when the scorer tells us a team has used their last :30 or :60 timeout).
If a player has 5 fouls, tell us right away."

Finally I tell both the scorer and timer, "If there is any questions about fouls, bonus, etc, to get our attention as soon as possible. If it's during a live ball, wait until there's a lull in action."

This usually takes 30-60 seconds at most. Usually don't have a problem at JV/Varsity level, but anything below that, I make it a point to ask these questions.

And finally during a close game game, if we have a timeout, I'll make sure we don't have any disceprancies between the books/scoreboard and remind the timer when to start the clock, especially if the table has been shaky earlier.

Last edited by APG; Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 10:49am. Reason: Further answer question
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:42am
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
To the person running the clock my questions are:
My questions are:

1) Did you take advanced calculus in high school?
2) Are you willing to let the clock run?
3) Do you know where the nearest Pizza Hut is?
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:44am
APG's Avatar
APG APG is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,890
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
My questions are:

1) Did you take advanced calculus in high school?
2) Are you willing to let the clock run?
3) Do you know where the nearest Pizza Hut is?
I like your version better.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Bad idea. What explanation are you going to give when the team glances at the clock to see how much time is left, sees 2.3 seconds, exercises patience by getting one more pass in for a great shot instead of a hurried shot only to have you blow the whistle and declare the game over. If they are about to score, of course, wait and let the shot occur then fix the clock (it's probably running out anyway).
With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesnt give an offense much time to lollygag.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 04:06pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesnt give an offense much time to lollygag.
Considering there was a clock directly in front of the players last night (all he had to do was glance up), and considering they did not get a shot off before I blew my whistle, I have to say my evidence says otherwise.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesn't give an offense much time to lollygag.
Yet, if they see 3.0 on the clock, they're going to play as if it is 3.0....regardless of what should be left. Fix it. (but don't kill an imminent score to do so).
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does it count? bigdog5142 Basketball 4 Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:04pm
count it or not? elecref Basketball 11 Fri Oct 14, 2005 09:06pm
10 second count Tom Grady Lacrosse 1 Fri Apr 23, 2004 09:49pm
5 Second Count SteveF Basketball 16 Fri Apr 23, 2004 03:55pm
10 second count Jay R Basketball 4 Wed Mar 03, 2004 07:47pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1