The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I had a count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57188-i-had-count.html)

Adam Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:58pm

I had a count

BJV game tonight, 3.5 seconds left in overtime and home is ahead by 5. V has the ball after successful free throws by H1. Ball is inbounded, I start my count (as always) and notice the clock isn't running. It starts when my count hits about 2.

What's your call? I'll tell you what I did later. I was T.

just another ref Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04am

By rule, you blow the whistle when your count reaches 4 and say game over.

In reality, I probably let the buzzer sound and am glad the lead was 5.

Kelvin green Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04am

Blow my whistle- reset the clock to 1.5 and bring ball back in from where it was.

deecee Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 662387)
Blow my whistle- reset the clock to 1.5 and bring ball back in from where it was.

i would never do that in a real game. I emphasize to play the whistle and remind my partners that I will have a count. what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).

Id rather play it out blow my whistle and then explain what will have to be explained to the coaches what happened than take away time and a potential good opportunity (3.5 secs versus 1.5) for the offense.

just another ref Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 662381)
....home is ahead by 5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 662406)
what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).

That would be a great shot.:D

Camron Rust Wed Feb 17, 2010 04:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 662406)
i would never do that in a real game. I emphasize to play the whistle and remind my partners that I will have a count. what if the offensive team was running a play that was going to get them a great shot (maybe tie the game or even win it).

Id rather play it out blow my whistle and then explain what will have to be explained to the coaches what happened than take away time and a potential good opportunity (3.5 secs versus 1.5) for the offense.

Bad idea. What explanation are you going to give when the team glances at the clock to see how much time is left, sees 2.3 seconds, exercises patience by getting one more pass in for a great shot instead of a hurried shot only to have you blow the whistle and declare the game over. If they are about to score, of course, wait and let the shot occur then fix the clock (it's probably running out anyway).

Adam Wed Feb 17, 2010 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 662386)
By rule, you blow the whistle when your count reaches 4 and say game over.

In reality, I probably let the buzzer sound and am glad the lead was 5.

I blew the whistle when I got to four. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably just let it run out and be glad the lead was 5.

If the lead wasn't 5, I would have done what Camron suggests.

My wife happened to be sitting in the stands amongst the visitors and got to hear all their comments after I did it.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 17, 2010 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 662381)
BJV game tonight, 3.5 seconds left in overtime and home is ahead by 5. V has the ball after successful free throws by H1. Ball is inbounded, I start my count (as always) and notice the clock isn't running. It starts when my count hits about 2.

What's your call? I'll tell you what I did later. I was T.

Yell "I've got the clock" and count down out loud until zero and then blow the whistle.

Paul LeBoutillier Wed Feb 17, 2010 09:49am

How many of you guys actually talk to the person running the clock before the game? How about during any TOs? Maybe during the final TO of a close game?

APG Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LeBoutillier (Post 662483)
How many of you guys actually talk to the person running the clock before the game? How about during any TOs? Maybe during the final TO of a close game?

I'll talk to the table crew to get a general feel of experience. To the person running the clock my questions are:

"Have you done this before?
Any questions as to when to start/stop the clock?
Will team fouls be kept track of on the scoreboard?
Will the scoreboard count down :30 and :60 timeouts? If not (this is usually at the middle school level), give us a warning horn with 15 seconds left."

For the official scorer I'll remind:

"Give us a warning at 6/9 team fouls so we know the next foul we'll be shooting free throws (this is especially true if the team foul count is not being kept track of on the scoreboard).
Tell us when a team has used their last timeout (as a caveat, I do like it when the scorer tells us a team has used their last :30 or :60 timeout).
If a player has 5 fouls, tell us right away."

Finally I tell both the scorer and timer, "If there is any questions about fouls, bonus, etc, to get our attention as soon as possible. If it's during a live ball, wait until there's a lull in action."

This usually takes 30-60 seconds at most. Usually don't have a problem at JV/Varsity level, but anything below that, I make it a point to ask these questions.

And finally during a close game game, if we have a timeout, I'll make sure we don't have any disceprancies between the books/scoreboard and remind the timer when to start the clock, especially if the table has been shaky earlier.

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 662498)
To the person running the clock my questions are:

My questions are:

1) Did you take advanced calculus in high school?
2) Are you willing to let the clock run?
3) Do you know where the nearest Pizza Hut is?

APG Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 662507)
My questions are:

1) Did you take advanced calculus in high school?
2) Are you willing to let the clock run?
3) Do you know where the nearest Pizza Hut is?

I like your version better. :D

deecee Wed Feb 17, 2010 03:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 662424)
Bad idea. What explanation are you going to give when the team glances at the clock to see how much time is left, sees 2.3 seconds, exercises patience by getting one more pass in for a great shot instead of a hurried shot only to have you blow the whistle and declare the game over. If they are about to score, of course, wait and let the shot occur then fix the clock (it's probably running out anyway).

With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesnt give an offense much time to lollygag.

Adam Wed Feb 17, 2010 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 662613)
With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesnt give an offense much time to lollygag.

Considering there was a clock directly in front of the players last night (all he had to do was glance up), and considering they did not get a shot off before I blew my whistle, I have to say my evidence says otherwise.

Camron Rust Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 662613)
With all due respect at 3.5 seconds the team will usually have a play that involves 1 (maybe 2 very quick) passes at most. there is no time for the ball handler to look at the clock and think. anything under 5 seconds really doesn't give an offense much time to lollygag.

Yet, if they see 3.0 on the clock, they're going to play as if it is 3.0....regardless of what should be left. Fix it. (but don't kill an imminent score to do so).