The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

How are you Rated and Moved up to Higher level games?

Just curious how others are rated and considered qualified for higher level games. In the area I work you are rated by your partner and the coaches of the games you work. Depending on their evaluations determines if and when you are moved to JV and then Varsity level games. You must do 2 years of JV games before our board will consider moving someone to Varsity.
I find this system somewhat frustrating because the Board members who move you to the next level do not do any observations of candidates for promotion and we do not run any sort of clinics where up and coming officials can show their ability.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you are talking about ratings for regular season games, then there is no such animal where I live. If you work in an assignor system, you likely have to go to camp to work for a particular assignor. Then based on what the assignor knows of you or thinks of you, they decide what you work and do not work. In other words if I am a varsity official in other conferences, a particular assignor might feel you cannot work that level in their conference. The only ratings we have apply only to post season assignments. And it is not ratings that involve games with coaches that matter.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:02pm
In Time Out

yeah some of it is bs and I posted earlier on this how I'm not getting any feedback. I already decided to leave my association next year if I'm not moved up to more varsity especially after seeing people do varsity games who have no business doing them.
I also feel JV game can be easier. I've done all levels and really the hardest ones can be the frosh boys especially when the games are close and well played(at their level). also a lot of fun and I almost always have more people at those games than JV and sometimes Varsity girls. JV games can be really easy because the players tend to know what they are doing.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 07:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Little Corner Of Connecticut ...

All four officials (two person games) at the site rate each other, junior varsity and varsity.
Peer ratings count 80% of your overall rating. The remaining 20% is based on interpretation and business meetings attendance, refresher exam workshop attendance, and commissioner availability.
Three year average rating produces a ranking.
Three subvarsity years are needed to move up to a "split" ranking (both subvarsity and varsity games).
Three "split" years are needed to move up to a full varsity ranking.
Level of games assigned and number of games assigned is based on ranking.
State tournament assignments are only based on voting of all varsity coaches, even those who do not "make" the tournament by winning 40% of their regular season games.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:50pm.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Rated by partner and coaches? Not a fan: my partner should be watching his PCA, not me. And in my experience JV coaches know less about officiating than my cat.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Somewhat frustrating here in my area. Coaches rank us according to what they believe would be best online (MI, MHSAA). This helps assignors to see what the coaches think, but in my association, the assignor does nothing with that from what I see. It's all about going to my assignor's camp (he's also a collegiate official). It's pay to play here. I'm all for camps...not for a racket. Either you go to his camp, or you ref freshman games. (Oh, and kissing tail isn't a bad thing, either.) I am also used by a couple of other assignors in other leagues (a bit more travel, but that's ok with me) and I work with the assignors and some of their "good ol buddies" and have been moving up in those leagues. Third year here and got about 6 varsity assignments this time around. Been officiating for about 12 years, but only three here. Haven't gone to a camp yet, but am seriously considering it this summer. (Gotta do that and keep losing weight.)