The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Off Ball Crash

A1 drives down the lane and passes the ball to A2. Before or after A2 makes a lay-up A1 charges into B1 who has established legal guarding position. Specifically I'm interested in hearing thoughts and philosophy on how to referee this play as well as mechanically who has first crack.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

"Pass & Crash"

I usually pre-game this. In 2-man, L stays with the ball and T has responsibility for the passer. If defender has and maintains legal guarding position, passer is responsible for the contact: team control foul and a great defensive play.

I've never seen this where the contact happens after the lay-up; that's a lot of time to pass.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:19am
This IS My Social Life

Pass 'N Crash Perplexities

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoInZebra View Post
A1 drives down the lane and passes the ball to A2. Before or after A2 makes a lay-up A1 charges into B1 who has established legal guarding position. Specifically I'm interested in hearing thoughts and philosophy on how to referee this play as well as mechanically who has first crack.
This is a regular pre-game agenda item. Who takes the pass? And who takes the crash?
I'm not sure where I read the official textbook mechanic on this, but I think I've got it backwards. Usually what we come up with as a standard prior to any given game is for the L to stay with the dribbler/shooter and take the crash and the C to take the pass if it goes to his side, the T if it goes to his side.
Easy to state in theory. Difficult in practice. Maybe because it happens somewhat rarely.
Interested in others' insights on this one.

(Another snow day here )
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
I usually pre-game this. In 2-man, L stays with the ball and T has responsibility for the passer. If defender has and maintains legal guarding position, passer is responsible for the contact: team control foul and a great defensive play.

I've never seen this where the contact happens after the lay-up; that's a lot of time to pass.
Interesting. I have always been told (2 person) that if the ball handler starts his/her drive from your area, you have the crash, the other official (L or T) has the pass.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Interesting. I have always been told (2 person) that if the ball handler starts his/her drive from your area, you have the crash, the other official (L or T) has the pass.
If you work from a "referee the defense" perspective, sometimes it's better for the ref who's been following the defender throughout the play to take the crash. So if A1 drives down the key, and B1 is stationary in the key, Lead would take the crash, since L has been with the defense all along. T has been following the play, and continues to follow the ball.

IMO, this is a top priority for pre-game, especially to agree about it.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
If you work from a "referee the defense" perspective, sometimes it's better for the ref who's been following the defender throughout the play to take the crash. So if A1 drives down the key, and B1 is stationary in the key, Lead would take the crash, since L has been with the defense all along. T has been following the play, and continues to follow the ball.

IMO, this is a top priority for pre-game, especially to agree about it.
Agree on everything stated here.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Our IAABO board interpreter is very specific in stating that in two person mechanics "Lead always stays with the ball and trail has the pass and crash".(this is in reference to the OP on drive down the lane) Could be an IAABO mechanic. I would definitely agree that it should be a part of the pre-game discussion.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Our IAABO board interpreter is very specific in stating that in two person mechanics "Lead always stays with the ball and trail has the pass and crash".(this is in reference to the OP on drive down the lane) Could be an IAABO mechanic. I would definitely agree that it should be a part of the pre-game discussion.
What if the ball goes way outside of the lead's primary and is right in front of the trail, and the crash is right in front of the lead? This is why we pregame it.

Last edited by Smitty; Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 12:16pm.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

My preferred way to cover it...

Pass to lead's side...lead takes pass, trail takes crash.

Pass to trail's side...trail takes pass, lead takes crash.

This leaves each ref covering the part they can see the best. Otherwise, the lead could be left covering a play across the key through the bodies of the potential "crash".
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

So if the contact occurs before the layup then the foul occurs prior to the shot and the shot is not counted as the ball is dead.

If the contact occurs after the basket is made then the shot counts and you could give the defender the ball at the endline for throw in.

Now if the crash is behind the backboard an argument could be made that a no call could be made because it had no effect on the play. Was an advantage gained or a player/defender placed at a disadvantage? Others will argue that their assignor/evaluator will tell you that if you have individuals on the floor you should call something to keep the game from escalating into some cheap shot later in the game.
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallEvaluator View Post
If the contact occurs after the basket is made then the shot counts and you could give the defender the ball at the endline for throw in.
If the crash occurs after the basket...isn't the ball dead? And if the ball is dead, wouldn't the contact have to be intentional or flagrant in order to call it a foul?
Old Thu Feb 11, 2010, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallEvaluator View Post
So if the contact occurs before the layup then the foul occurs prior to the shot and the shot is not counted as the ball is dead.

True, if A1's foul is before A2 releases the ball.

If the foul is after A2 releases the ball, but before the ball goes through the basket, then the shot counts and B gets the ball (or shoots FTs if in the bonus).

If the "foul" is after the ball goes through the basket, the contact is ignored unless it's intentional or flagrant -- probably not the case in the OP.