The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thumbs up

I just got a call from a local assignor offering me a college JV assignment tomorrow night at a local NAIA school.

Here's a picture of me, now:
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Way to be!!!!!! Good luck tomorrow!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Good luck. Have fun.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:19pm
Jerry Blum

I've had a similar situation with a NCAA DIII school. Even though it's a JV game it's still about as good or better than most HS varsity games. From my experience, my advice would be to put you track shoes on as the teams I had in my games ran and ran and shot a lot of 3's. By the way we also did these games 2-whistle. Man was I tired, but it was a great time. I would do it again in a second.

Good luck.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
Way to go. I've only been able to get a local college JV scrimmages no and then. And the advice about the track shoes is absolutely correct.

Good Luck.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Go, Adam, GO!!!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations Adam! Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Jack
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 11:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
I've had a similar situation with a NCAA DIII school. Even though it's a JV game it's still about as good or better than most HS varsity games. From my experience, my advice would be to put you track shoes on as the teams I had in my games ran and ran and shot a lot of 3's. By the way we also did these games 2-whistle. Man was I tired, but it was a great time. I would do it again in a second.

Good luck.
If you did it again in a second, wouldn't you be even more tired? (boo, hiss....)

Congrats and Good luck Adam!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I just got a call from a local assignor offering me a college JV assignment tomorrow night at a local NAIA school.

Here's a picture of me, now:
Good Luck, Tonight
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 12:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

WOW

I have to say, I had more fun tonight than I've ever had in a basketball game before (including as a player). Has anyone been warned that this game is addicting?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: WOW

Quote:
I have to say, I had more fun tonight than I've ever had in a basketball game before (including as a player). Has anyone been warned that this game is addicting?
Way to go. If you want to stay up another half-hour and spill some details, I'd love to stay up another half-hour and read them!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Way to go. If you want to stay up another half-hour and spill some details, I'd love to stay up another half-hour and read them!
It was my first three-whistle since a camp 4 years ago, but it went well. One other official was also new to that aspect and to college, so we really didn't rotate underneath. Frankly, judging by some of his calls, he's fairly new to officiating basketball in general. But the positives of this game far outweight the negatives of a slightly over-zealous and uneducated partner.

The game itself was a women's game, so I really didn't need my track shoes (thank God, because I hated track). The players were respectful, even when the other rookie official got a little quick on his whistle and called some (a half dozen) "reach" fouls on little or no contact. In a way, the details of the game don't matter, since it was largely uneventful; just 40 minutes of the best basketball game I've ever officiated.

The caliber of ball was such that I never want to go back, but that's not how it works. Now I've got a goal.
Most importantly, I was reminded of how much fun this game can be to officiate when I relax and enjoy myself.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: WOW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
It was my first three-whistle since a camp 4 years ago, but it went well. One other official was also new to that aspect and to college, so we really didn't rotate underneath. Frankly, judging by some of his calls, he's fairly new to officiating basketball in general. But the positives of this game far outweight the negatives of a slightly over-zealous and uneducated partner.

The game itself was a women's game, so I really didn't need my track shoes (thank God, because I hated track). The players were respectful, even when the other rookie official got a little quick on his whistle and called some (a half dozen) "reach" fouls on little or no contact. In a way, the details of the game don't matter, since it was largely uneventful; just 40 minutes of the best basketball game I've ever officiated.

The caliber of ball was such that I never want to go back, but that's not how it works. Now I've got a goal.
Most importantly, I was reminded of how much fun this game can be to officiate when I relax and enjoy myself.
ONe thing that I noticed, the better the ball, the higher levels, it really makes it a lot easier to officiate,

I've never done D1 in basketball but I was talking with a friend who does and he says the easiest games are the D1 because they do what it expected, play basketball etc.,

Also, the courts are nicer, you have more room to work and you generally have a better table crew.

The only thing that gets worse is dealing with the coaches -they are a lot worse on officals at the higher levels and expect a lot more (in their favor of course)

Thanks
David
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Adam,
Congrats! Let us know how it goes. I suppose you're too "big time" to work a games with me anymore.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 09:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Adam,
Congrats! Let us know how it goes. I suppose you're too "big time" to work a games with me anymore.
Not at all, I'll still make time for the little people. I need to remember my roots, you know, and give back to the community.

Keepin' it real,
Adam