The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:44am
In Time Out

three point 3 person question

so who signals this. Is it always the trail? I was at a game where the girl was more on the side of the trail person and he signaled three pointer but the center ref(no three point signal) had a view of it as did I in the stands on the trail side but free throw line extended. The girl was about a foot inside the line. Both feet were in. Awful job of guessing by the trail ref who was in no position at all to make the call. Luckily she missed. I say luckily because the game would have been tied. How would they have handled this? if she made it, do they blow the whistle right away to talk it over? You can't just let the play go on and time goes out and then you take away a point.

Last edited by mutantducky; Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 12:49am.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

I was always taught that C would blow there whistle, signal 2 and resume from there. No need to get together to talk about it.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

The Lead or Center gives the preliminary depending on where the shot comes from (Using the 60/40 court coverage for example). If it is good, the other gives the "made" signal to mirror who gave the preliminary.

If your partner signals a three and you know it was a two, blow your whistle and fix it immediately.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The Lead or Center gives the preliminary depending on where the shot comes from (Using the 60/40 court coverage for example). If it is good, the other gives the "made" signal to mirror who gave the preliminary.

If your partner signals a three and you know it was a two, blow your whistle and fix it immediately.
The OP concerns 3-person, and your answer 2-person.

For 3-person: T has the 3-point arc from the end line up around to the lane line extended, which marks C's PCA. C has it from there down to the endline. One official signals the try; both signal a made 3-point goal. L can signal a 3-point try in transition, and T & C mirror if it's made.

For 2-person, T has the arc from the end line all the way around to the foul line extended. L has it from there down to the end line. T mirrors L's signal on a made 3-point goal; L does not mirror.

But the question was: what should C do about a blown 3-point call by T? Same as any other blown call: hit the whistle, give T your info, let T change the call.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
But the question was: what should C do about a blown 3-point call by T? Same as any other blown call: hit the whistle, give T your info, let T change the call.

Those are the two options. Use what's used in your area (and discuss in pre-game if you aren't sure).

Here, we use the former. As C, I would be unlikely to see this at FT line extended on the opposite side. L might have had a look.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 03:42pm
In Time Out

how long do you have to change this? Better to whistle right away obviously. I was at this Pacific forum and saw this.

Chat UCSB - Pacific Basketball - Discussion Areas - Pacific Tigers Sports - Message Board Yuku
BTW, I STILL don't understand how the Flames' first basket of the OT period (a trey) was reclassified as a two AFTER Bear Creek scored the next basket at the other end. I didn't know that was possible. Turned out not to be the difference. But disconcerting nonetheless."
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
how long do you have to change this? Better to whistle right away obviously. I was at this Pacific forum and saw this.

Chat UCSB - Pacific Basketball - Discussion Areas - Pacific Tigers Sports - Message Board Yuku
BTW, I STILL don't understand how the Flames' first basket of the OT period (a trey) was reclassified as a two AFTER Bear Creek scored the next basket at the other end. I didn't know that was possible. Turned out not to be the difference. But disconcerting nonetheless."
Depends:

If it's a scoring error (official signaled three (or two) but scorer recorded two (or three)), then you have until the end of the game to fix it.

If it's a correctable error (official signalled 3/2 and it should have been 2/3), you can fix it during the CE window.

I didn't follow your link but it sounds like an error was made, the ball became dead, B inbounded it and scored (2nd dead ball) and it was corrected. That's right.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

: hit the whistle, give T your info, let T change the call.[/QUOTE]

No....No need to relay info and let T change the call. Simply blow your whistle and signal strongly to the table that the shot was 2 points and play on. Not the same as a blown OOB call where calling official changes his/her call.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
The OP concerns 3-person, and your answer 2-person.

For 3-person: T has the 3-point arc from the end line up around to the lane line extended, which marks C's PCA. C has it from there down to the endline. One official signals the try; both signal a made 3-point goal. L can signal a 3-point try in transition, and T & C mirror if it's made.

For 2-person, T has the arc from the end line all the way around to the foul line extended. L has it from there down to the end line. T mirrors L's signal on a made 3-point goal; L does not mirror.

2 person answer? I didn't know a 2 whistle crew had a Centre.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 10:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
No....No need to relay info and let T change the call. Simply blow your whistle and signal strongly to the table that the shot was 2 points and play on. Not the same as a blown OOB call where calling official changes his/her call.
Maybe, maybe not. Check local listings to see how it's done in your area.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
: No....No need to relay info and let T change the call. Simply blow your whistle and signal strongly to the table that the shot was 2 points and play on. Not the same as a blown OOB call where calling official changes his/her call.
And then, T blows his whistle and signals strongly to the table that the shot was 3 points! . . . and play on? Start of a pissin' match that may last the rest of the game.

Call according to your local listings. If you do not know your local listings, do as mbyron states. No need to get in a pissin' match with your partner.

Where I call, in the OP sitch, I would never change the T's call. I would only tell him that I was pretty darn sure that shot was a 2. Then I would wonder why I was watching the T's area the rest of the game,
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
And then, T blows his whistle and signals strongly to the table that the shot was 3 points! . . . and play on? Start of a pissin' match that may last the rest of the game.

Call according to your local listings. If you do not know your local listings, do as mbyron states. No need to get in a pissin' match with your partner.

Where I call, in the OP sitch, I would never change the T's call. I would only tell him that I was pretty darn sure that shot was a 2. Then I would wonder why I was watching the T's area the rest of the game,
In case you didn't realize, there are spots that are in the transition between the two areas and both can and very well might be on the ball at the same time....@ the 3 point arc with 1 foot below the FT line extended and 1 foot above the FT line extended....who has primary there? Are you each responsoble only for the foot in your pimary?

Basically, if either official sees a foot on the line, the foot is on the line. There is really nothing to discuss.
Old Sat Feb 06, 2010, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Guys, I messed that post up. My first post in this thread should have said "Trail or Center" instead of "Lead or Center".
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

The only way to handle this from my perspective is to have the official that clearly sees this as wrong, hit the whistle and correct it without discussion. That could be any official on the floor if they have definite knowledge that a mistake was made. If they are not sure, then let it be.

Peace