The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

FT Violation?

A1 is shooting a FT. She receives the ball from the official. Her pre-shot process includes taking her front foot and placing it on the FT line and then sliding it back behind the FT line. She then takes a dribble and shoots.

I did not call a violation since her foot was behind the FT line when she actually shot the ball. As I look through the rule book all I see is 9-1-1 that says "the try shall be attempted from within the FT semicircle and behind the FT line."

So, is placing the foot on the line and then putting it behind the line (after the ball is live) prior to shooting the FT a violation?
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
A1 is shooting a FT. She receives the ball from the official. Her pre-shot process includes taking her front foot and placing it on the FT line and then sliding it back behind the FT line. She then takes a dribble and shoots.

I did not call a violation since her foot was behind the FT line when she actually shot the ball. As I look through the rule book all I see is 9-1-1 that says "the try shall be attempted from within the FT semicircle and behind the FT line."

So, is placing the foot on the line and then putting it behind the line (after the ball is live) prior to shooting the FT a violation?
Yep, violation per 9-1-3e.
"After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:..."
"The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the
edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket
or the free throw
semicircle line."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 09:42am.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Technically, yes.

Career-development wise, no.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Technically, yes.

Career-development wise, no.
So in the interest of advancing your officiating career, do you also allow the thrower to put a toe just over the boundary line after you hand him the ball for a throw-in as long as he backs up before making the pass?
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yep, violation per 9-1-3e.
"After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower:..."
"The free thrower shall not have either foot beyond the vertical plane of the
edge of the free-throw line which is farther from the basket
or the free throw
semicircle line."
Thanks. I read that initially but for some reason didn't interpret it correctly.

Now I know.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So in the interest of advancing your officiating career, do you also allow the thrower to put a toe just over the boundary line after you hand him the ball for a throw-in as long as he backs up before making the pass?
And how many times have you called a violation when a free-thrower initially put their toe on the line then pulled it back as part of their pre-shot routine?

And don't tell me you've never seen a thrower do it.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:46am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Whisper in her ear that it might be a good idea to change her pre-shot process...before she hears a whistle blowing in her ear.

As usual, one warning per customer.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I really like oranges. I don't like apples.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Nope, but I will allow a FT shooter to put a toe on the line once.

But that's just me......
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I had this situation:

Two shots for A1. Before first shot AI is standing outside of the circle as I am ready to administer. I say "shooter, stay in the circle" and he more or less ignores me and takes the bounce pass with both feet on the line. I look at partner who gives me a kind of "so what" look back.

After first shot, A1 backs out of circle again and I tell him once again, "shooter, stay in the circle". He once again ignores me, so I bounce the ball to him and he gets the ball with both feet outside the circle. I blow the whistle and considered giving him the "T', but instead called the violation.

A1's coach understood fully what happened and every A player the rest of the night was in the circle and ready to get the ball. BTW, the B coach never asked what the call was.

Would you have given the "T"; I second guessed myself and my partner thought the violation call was sufficient.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:07am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Whisper in her ear that it might be a good idea to change her pre-shot process...before she hears a whistle blowing in her ear.

As usual, one warning per customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Nope, but I will allow a FT shooter to put a toe on the line once.

But that's just me......
I could have (could of/coulda) typed this earlier but I was more interested in riling up Nevada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I really like oranges. I don't like apples.
I prefer Apples.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
Would you have given the "T"; I second guessed myself and my partner thought the violation call was sufficient.
No, the penalty is a violation.

The coach will do his job...and did.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I could have (could of/coulda) typed this earlier but I was more interested in riling up Nevada.
Well, that certainly doesn't make you a bad person.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I had this situation:

Two shots for A1. Before first shot AI is standing outside of the circle as I am ready to administer. I say "shooter, stay in the circle" and he more or less ignores me and takes the bounce pass with both feet on the line. I look at partner who gives me a kind of "so what" look back.

After first shot, A1 backs out of circle again and I tell him once again, "shooter, stay in the circle". He once again ignores me, so I bounce the ball to him and he gets the ball with both feet outside the circle. I blow the whistle and considered giving him the "T', but instead called the violation.

A1's coach understood fully what happened and every A player the rest of the night was in the circle and ready to get the ball. BTW, the B coach never asked what the call was.

Ask yourself this instead, what would the 'T' have been for?
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I do not bounce until the shooter is in the circle. Tell him to get in the circle and if he refuses, then make clear that not complying could cause a technical foul.