The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Ask yourself this instead, what would the 'T' have been for?
by rule, 10-3 Art 5, section c. I didn't want to over officiate, but the shooter ignoring my direction was annoying.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 01:52pm
This IS My Social Life

Monosyllabic? Or Multi...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I really like oranges. I don't like apples.
Visiting team in or-ange yesterday. Whereas we ordinarily eschew two-syllable colors, for some reason I couldn't bring myself to call them the usual "Red". And though or-ange can be pronounced as two syllables, I settled on vocalizing it as one syllable, and called them "Orange" the rest of the night.
First time experience ever for me with that color. And I now feel good about it. I think I'll call it "orange" from now on, monosyllabic.
Wow, what a growing experience for me, eh?
Who says a leopard can't change his stripes?!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Good One!

I could have (could of/coulda) typed this earlier but I was more interested in riling up Nevada.

I'm liking you more all the time!!
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Visiting team in or-ange yesterday. Whereas we ordinarily eschew two-syllable colors, for some reason I couldn't bring myself to call them the usual "Red". And though or-ange can be pronounced as two syllables, I settled on vocalizing it as one syllable, and called them "Orange" the rest of the night.
First time experience ever for me with that color. And I now feel good about it. I think I'll call it "orange" from now on, monosyllabic.
I do not call orange "red" nor will I probably ever. That said, I do call purple blue. Can't exactly explain my double standard, but it's probably because orange can be said (sort of) as a single syllable word.

The JV guys were calling the maroon team "maroon" last night. Cute. They were red in the varsity game.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
"Awnge" is one syllable; "oar-ange" is two.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I do not call orange "red" nor will I probably ever. That said, I do call purple blue. Can't exactly explain my double standard, but it's probably because orange can be said (sort of) as a single syllable word.

The JV guys were calling the maroon team "maroon" last night. Cute. They were red in the varsity game.
Orange for me. I did have to use purple one time when I subbed with a guy who refuses to call a purple team blue. He graduated from a school that had purple as a school color and refuses to call any purple team blue. It wasn't all that big of a deal.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Orange for me. I did have to use purple one time when I subbed with a guy who refuses to call a purple team blue. He graduated from a school that had purple as a school color and refuses to call any purple team blue. It wasn't all that big of a deal.
LOL....I'm a one syllable guy, as well. I ran into a partner like this a month ago or so. I think he was a K Stater. Sort of annoying, to be honest. But, we went purrrrple anyway. I'm such a nice guy.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 03:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
I'd still say "blue", probably, just out of habit.

My high school team was (and still is) the Indians. I don't do our "war chant" when calling a foul.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Last Saturday I had purple (visitors) and pink (home). The first official to say "blue" had to buy that day. We went the whole first half without a buyer. One of my partners lost on an oob call early in the second half.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How about yellow -> gold, or silver -> gray? And I'm sure you call ecru white.

I understand your squeamishness about calling orange red. I had an orange team the other night and felt funny calling them red. And it's puzzling that we have no problem with other 2-syllable colors.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

I understand your squeamishness about calling orange red. I had an orange team the other night and felt funny calling them red. And it's puzzling that we have no problem with other 2-syllable colors.
"Pink" is the worst. I call them "red". No exceptions.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 05:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

I did go to Tennessee, but I don't think that's it.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Expires March 1, 2010 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
One warning per customer.
Cannot be combined with any other offer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 10:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He Did This All The Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stosh View Post
Two shots for A1. Before first shot AI is standing outside of the circle as I am ready to administer. I say "shooter, stay in the circle" and he more or less ignores me and takes the bounce pass with both feet on the line. I look at partner who gives me a kind of "so what" look back.
After first shot, A1 backs out of circle again and I tell him once again, "shooter, stay in the circle". He once again ignores me, so I bounce the ball to him and he gets the ball with both feet outside the circle.
Was A1 Larry Bird?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could have (could of/coulda) typed this earlier but I was more interested in riling up Nevada.

Actually, Nevada has had such a great week that not much could rile him at this point.