The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Lonely half

I get a JVB game last night, 6:00pm start. At 5:30 I call the assignor because I have no partner -- voicemail. 5:45, still no partner -- voicemail. I head out to the court...

Nobody shows. I do captains, check the book, and then ask the coaches to go easy on me. I've never done a JV game by myself.

Some folks like to work 1-person table-side to be near the coaches, but I prefer to be opposite to see subs, TO requests, the table, etc. I work foul line to foul line, swinging around the top of the key when the ball drops into the opposite corner.

First minute I was nervous, but then I settled in. I might have missed some OOB on the opposite side and end lines, but I couldn't get an angle. No significant complaints from the benches, and the fans seemed to root for me!

One of the varsity guys showed up and came out to help with :02 on the clock. Ball inbounded, buzz, half-time. He said he thought it was the first quarter -- but I kept the game moving, calling maybe 12 fouls in the half.

The second half he helped me, and we called maybe 8 fouls. Visitor doubled home team's score, so the outcome was never in doubt.

I had more handshakes from fans after that game than I've ever had before. One thing I didn't have to worry about in the first half: the whole damn court was my PCA!
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

"It's not the worst partner I've ever had."
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

When you do one person, and it sounds like last night was not your first rodeo, do you ask the players to help you on OOB? Can you trust them to be honest?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

I haven't worked hoops by myself in a long time. Mainly, this is because I only do varsity and we drive together, but in Wisconsin a WIAA game at any level cannot start with less than 2 licensed officials. It can finish with one if there's an injury, etc. but at the varsity level we try to find someone. When I blew my knee out 3 years ago, we called an early halftime and found someone local to come and finish the game.

But there's a lot of issues going from 2 to 3 to 2 from night to night, too.

We do a lot of switching between 2-person and 3-person and that seems to lead even the best officials to "forget" something once in a while.

Last week, I'm trail 2-person. Ball shoots over to the far sideline, probably 10 feet from the endline. It looks like the ball *might* have gone out of bounds, but there's no way I can be sure. Partner (who's a damned good official, but must've just brain-cramped here) is looking in the post at two players jostling instead of hustling over to the sideline.

I heard a small amount of grumbling, but not the amount that would've resulted if the ball was clearly out and off we went.

Little things like this are always running through my mind when I work 2-person, cause even though I probably only work a third to a half of my games 3-person those mechanics tend to stick a bit more for me.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
When you do one person, and it sounds like last night was not your first rodeo, do you ask the players to help you on OOB? Can you trust them to be honest?
I don't remember saying anything. I do know I had little to no tolerance for whining, though.

My moment was working baseball when my partner (who drove and had the only plate gear) had chest pains before the game. He insisted we play as he headed to the hospital. I gave the teams a choice -- either I'd work behind the mound or we could call it. Behind the mound I went.

I ejected a coach later in the game on a squeeze play that ended up being a close play at the plate. I called the runner safe, the coach said he missed the plate, and then he told me maybe if I hustled more I would've seen that. Goodbye. After that, I probably would've simply told the coaches I was going to the hospital with my partner and left.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I haven't worked hoops by myself in a long time. Mainly, this is because I only do varsity and we drive together, but in Wisconsin a WIAA game at any level cannot start with less than 2 licensed officials. It can finish with one if there's an injury, etc. but at the varsity level we try to find someone. When I blew my knee out 3 years ago, we called an early halftime and found someone local to come and finish the game.

But there's a lot of issues going from 2 to 3 to 2 from night to night, too.

We do a lot of switching between 2-person and 3-person and that seems to lead even the best officials to "forget" something once in a while.

Last week, I'm trail 2-person. Ball shoots over to the far sideline, probably 10 feet from the endline. It looks like the ball *might* have gone out of bounds, but there's no way I can be sure. Partner (who's a damned good official, but must've just brain-cramped here) is looking in the post at two players jostling instead of hustling over to the sideline.

I heard a small amount of grumbling, but not the amount that would've resulted if the ball was clearly out and off we went.

Little things like this are always running through my mind when I work 2-person, cause even though I probably only work a third to a half of my games 3-person those mechanics tend to stick a bit more for me.
That's one play I hate when I work games. I've gotten caught like your partner did on that one. No fun to look at your partner with no idea.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's one play I hate when I work games. I've gotten caught like your partner did on that one. No fun to look at your partner with no idea.
Two options here.

1. Sometimes you can get away with whistling, signaling a violation, and NOT pointing a direction. The players will often know, assume you signaled, and the correct team will step OOB for the throw-in.

2. If that doesn't work, or they ask you "whose ball?" check with your partner. If partner didn't see it, use the AP arrow.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Work In Progress (CT IAABO State Board) ...

ONE-PERSON OFFICIATING GUIDELINES
INTERIM DRAFT – OCTOBER 2008
It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.
Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, DO NOT accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-IAABO certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified IAABO official.
Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.
Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.
Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.
Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.
Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.
Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.
Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.
Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.
Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.
Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, (nearest or opposite) the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.
Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.
Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Actually, I don't think he ever looked away from the post.

And I wasn't sure it was out, so I let it go, hoping the players would give it away. They didn't, so off we went. In retrospect, pretty funny. It probably wasn't out or the bench would've gone crazy about it. But I really had no idea.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 03:27pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I get a JVB game last night, 6:00pm start. At 5:30 I call the assignor because I have no partner -- voicemail. 5:45, still no partner -- voicemail. I head out to the court...

Nobody shows. I do captains, check the book, and then ask the coaches to go easy on me. I've never done a JV game by myself.
Wed night I worked a quarter by myself when my partner was a no-show. But, it was only B12U Rec Ball.

My Partner shows up mid-way through the 2nd quarter all apologetic. I explain the situation and he gets in position. I take a good, hard look at him and I think this is his first game EVER. No mechanics, no signals, no idea where to stand, no eye-contact.......ARGH!

Good guy. Good attitude. Willing to learn. I managed to teach him a thing or three before the night was out.

Oh yeah, did I mention he's an Age Group Commissioner and on the Board?