Thread: Lonely half
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Lonely half

I get a JVB game last night, 6:00pm start. At 5:30 I call the assignor because I have no partner -- voicemail. 5:45, still no partner -- voicemail. I head out to the court...

Nobody shows. I do captains, check the book, and then ask the coaches to go easy on me. I've never done a JV game by myself.

Some folks like to work 1-person table-side to be near the coaches, but I prefer to be opposite to see subs, TO requests, the table, etc. I work foul line to foul line, swinging around the top of the key when the ball drops into the opposite corner.

First minute I was nervous, but then I settled in. I might have missed some OOB on the opposite side and end lines, but I couldn't get an angle. No significant complaints from the benches, and the fans seemed to root for me!

One of the varsity guys showed up and came out to help with :02 on the clock. Ball inbounded, buzz, half-time. He said he thought it was the first quarter -- but I kept the game moving, calling maybe 12 fouls in the half.

The second half he helped me, and we called maybe 8 fouls. Visitor doubled home team's score, so the outcome was never in doubt.

I had more handshakes from fans after that game than I've ever had before. One thing I didn't have to worry about in the first half: the whole damn court was my PCA!