Thread: Lonely half
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I haven't worked hoops by myself in a long time. Mainly, this is because I only do varsity and we drive together, but in Wisconsin a WIAA game at any level cannot start with less than 2 licensed officials. It can finish with one if there's an injury, etc. but at the varsity level we try to find someone. When I blew my knee out 3 years ago, we called an early halftime and found someone local to come and finish the game.

But there's a lot of issues going from 2 to 3 to 2 from night to night, too.

We do a lot of switching between 2-person and 3-person and that seems to lead even the best officials to "forget" something once in a while.

Last week, I'm trail 2-person. Ball shoots over to the far sideline, probably 10 feet from the endline. It looks like the ball *might* have gone out of bounds, but there's no way I can be sure. Partner (who's a damned good official, but must've just brain-cramped here) is looking in the post at two players jostling instead of hustling over to the sideline.

I heard a small amount of grumbling, but not the amount that would've resulted if the ball was clearly out and off we went.

Little things like this are always running through my mind when I work 2-person, cause even though I probably only work a third to a half of my games 3-person those mechanics tend to stick a bit more for me.
That's one play I hate when I work games. I've gotten caught like your partner did on that one. No fun to look at your partner with no idea.