The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in foul; ball not yet alive

Interesting situation last night. Boys game, new partners I had never met before, much less worked with. I am U2. Game was competitive, but it was a good competitive spirit: kids were playing hard, but not mean; coaches were pretty vocal but only to be heard by their players.

Ball is out of bounds on the end line for a spot throw-in by A near A's basket. Subs are just completing entry and I have just been cleared by T to put the ball in play. There is right much pressure being applied for the throw-in (as was common by both teams throughout the game). As I instruct the thrower that this is a spot, partner C (who also happened to be the R) hits whistle and calls a double foul on a couple of kids (A & B) that are jerking each other around pretty good in trying to establish position. He reports it as a double, and we go to POI--the throw in.

I don't think he realizes it yet that the ball was not live, or even that that may have been a consideration.

How would you think you would handle this if you were either C (the calling official) or me (the administering official)? Thoughts appreciated.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
Interesting situation last night. Boys game, new partners I had never met before, much less worked with. I am U2. Game was competitive, but it was a good competitive spirit: kids were playing hard, but not mean; coaches were pretty vocal but only to be heard by their players.

Ball is out of bounds on the end line for a spot throw-in by A near A's basket. Subs are just completing entry and I have just been cleared by T to put the ball in play. There is right much pressure being applied for the throw-in (as was common by both teams throughout the game). As I instruct the thrower that this is a spot, partner C (who also happened to be the R) hits whistle and calls a double foul on a couple of kids (A & B) that are jerking each other around pretty good in trying to establish position. He reports it as a double, and we go to POI--the throw in.

I don't think he realizes it yet that the ball was not live, or even that that may have been a consideration.

How would you think you would handle this if you were either C (the calling official) or me (the administering official)? Thoughts appreciated.
I would go to him and let him know that I had not put the ball at the thrower's disposal yet, so the foul should be a double T. If he doesn't want to fix it, that's on him since he called it in the first place.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go to him and tell him what you have said here. THe ball wasn't live. Was the contact intentional or flagrant? IF not, we have to ignore. IF so we have to have double Ts.

Then, let him decide what to do.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

It's not a huge deal: double personal or double T, each player and each team gets a foul, and you go to the POI. If it's a varsity game I'll say something so that the book is right, but it's not going to impact the outcome.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What kind of fouls did your partner call? I'm assuming personal, which is wrong, as it should be double technical fouls which wouldn't change much in your scenario except the way the fouls are recorded in the book. POI is the same for double fouls and double technical fouls. If I was on the crew, I would have barked at the players to knock it off, and then double T if it continued, must have been some impressive jerking around.